What does Hal do redux. - Slackware

This is a discussion on What does Hal do redux. - Slackware ; I searched the faq for Hal but got references to halloween, ldap etc. The best place to hide a leaf, we are told, is in a forest. If I am working away and plug in my photo card reader into ...

  1. What does Hal do redux.

    I searched the faq for Hal but got references to halloween, ldap etc.
    The best place to hide a leaf, we are told, is in a forest.

    If I am working away and plug in my photo card reader into a USB port,
    then plug in a card in the reader, I get a window wtih two choices,
    open in a new window and do nothing. If I select do nothing then of
    course it does nothing and I can continue with my usual mnt /dev/sda1
    drill in a root console session. If I choose "Open in a New Window" I
    get a long and cryptic error message (that I cannot copy to a
    clipboard for insertion here) beginning with:

    A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
    message to this recipient..."

    If there is a reasonably quick fix for this please let me know.
    Otherwise I'll just find the pertinent routine in /etc/rc.d and
    disable it. My impression is that Hal is a nice to have convenience
    feature but certainly not a got to have. Am I missing something
    important?

    John Culleton

  2. Re: What does Hal do redux.

    On Aug 13, 11:05 am, wexfordpress wrote:
    > I searched the faq for Hal but got references to halloween, ldap etc.
    > The best place to hide a leaf, we are told, is in a forest.

    Google search for D-BUS in conjunction with HAL or "Hardware
    Abstraction Layer". There's lots of info out there on what it does and
    how it works. Alternately, you can visit http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal
    and read the source documentation.

    > If I am working away and plug in my photo card reader into a USB port,

    [snip]

    > A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
    > message to this recipient..."

    A quick google search on that phrase pulls up lots of advice. Take a
    look at http://www.groupsrv.com/linux/post-778047.html which has both
    an explanation and some remediation advice from Robbie Workman.

    > If there is a reasonably quick fix for this please let me know.

    The short answer appears to be that you need to add your userid to the
    "plugdev" group.

    HTH
    --
    Lew

  3. Re: What does Hal do redux.

    wexfordpress wrote:

    > I searched the faq for Hal but got references to halloween, ldap etc.
    > The best place to hide a leaf, we are told, is in a forest.

    An entry for HAL has been proposed for the FAQ, but I'm afraid it has
    not yet been added. It'll happen, I promise.

    > My impression is that Hal is a nice to have convenience feature but
    > certainly not a got to have. ...

    I suspect that your impression is correct, though this is based on
    discussion in the newsgroup. I have yet to see Slackware 12 in action
    or HAL/DBUS and friends ...