Problem with hardware Raid - Slackware

This is a discussion on Problem with hardware Raid - Slackware ; Hello could anybody tell me how a hardware raid should be implented under linux. I use Slackware 11.0 Promise FastTrack TX4000 ata raid controller. when I did the installation of the system I had 1 4chanel ATA Raid Promise FastTrack ...

  1. Problem with hardware Raid

    Hello

    could anybody tell me how a hardware raid should be implented under linux.
    I use Slackware 11.0 Promise FastTrack TX4000 ata raid controller.

    when I did the installation of the system I had 1 4chanel ATA Raid Promise
    FastTrack TX4000 with 2 disks (2 separate disks 250GB and 320GB )
    to which I wanted to add disks (to each) later to make a RAID1 (mirror)
    system.

    The system seems to have recognised the Fasstrack controller with disks
    attached to it.
    Here the dmesg output (to be precise this the output when I have added
    another 320GB disk which is seen as /dev/sdc ):

    ================================================== =================================================
    hda: WDC AC24300L, ATA DISK drive
    ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
    hda: attached ide-disk driver.
    hda: host protected area => 1
    hda: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: task_no_data_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
    hda: 8421840 sectors (4312 MB) w/256KiB Cache, CHS=524/255/63, UDMA(33)
    Partition check:
    hda: hda1 hda3
    Promise Fasttrak(tm) Softwareraid driver 0.03beta: No raid array found
    Highpoint HPT370 Softwareraid driver for linux version 0.03
    Guestimating sector 8420879 for superblock
    driver for Silicon Image(tm) Medley(tm) hardware version 0.0.1: No raid
    array found
    SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
    3ware Storage Controller device driver for Linux v1.02.00.037.
    3w-xxxx: No cards found.
    libata version 1.20 loaded.
    PCI(00:08.0): version 1.03
    PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:08.0
    PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:0a.2
    ata1: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xC498E200 ctl 0xC498E238 bmdma 0x0 irq 11
    ata2: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xC498E280 ctl 0xC498E2B8 bmdma 0x0 irq 11
    ata3: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xC498E300 ctl 0xC498E338 bmdma 0x0 irq 11
    ata4: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xC498E380 ctl 0xC498E3B8 bmdma 0x0 irq 11
    ATA: abnormal status 0x8 on port 0xC498E21C
    ata1: disabling port
    ata2: dev 0 cfg 49:2f00 82:346b 83:7d01 84:4023 85:3469 86:3c01 87:4023
    88:203f
    ata2: dev 0 ATA-7, max UDMA/100, 488397168 sectors: LBA48
    ata2: dev 0 configured for UDMA/33
    ata3: dev 0 cfg 49:2f00 82:346b 83:7d01 84:4023 85:3469 86:3c01 87:4023
    88:203f
    ata3: dev 0 ATA-7, max UDMA/100, 625142448 sectors: LBA48
    ata3: dev 0 configured for UDMA/33
    ata4: dev 0 cfg 49:2f00 82:346b 83:7d01 84:4023 85:3469 86:3c01 87:4023
    88:203f
    ata4: dev 0 ATA-7, max UDMA/100, 625142448 sectors: LBA48
    ata4: dev 0 configured for UDMA/33
    scsi0 : sata_promise
    scsi1 : sata_promise
    scsi2 : sata_promise
    scsi3 : sata_promise
    Vendor: ATA Model: ST3250620A Rev: 3.AA
    Vendor: ATA Model: ST3320620A Rev: 3.AA
    Vendor: ATA Model: ST3320620A Rev: 3.AA
    Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    Attached scsi disk sdc at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    SCSI device sda: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
    sda: sda1
    SCSI device sdb: 625142448 512-byte hdwr sectors (320073 MB)
    sdb: sdb1
    SCSI device sdc: 625142448 512-byte hdwr sectors (320073 MB)
    sdc: sdc1
    md: linear personality registered as nr 1
    md: raid0 personality registered as nr 2
    md: raid1 personality registered as nr 3
    md: raid5 personality registered as nr 4
    raid5: measuring checksumming speed
    8regs : 386.800 MB/sec
    32regs : 214.000 MB/sec
    pII_mmx : 524.800 MB/sec
    p5_mmx : 548.400 MB/sec
    raid5: using function: p5_mmx (548.400 MB/sec)
    md: md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
    md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
    md: autorun ...
    md: ... autorun DONE.

    ================================================== ================================================== ====

    So my 2 disks on the ata raid controller were seen as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
    I added them to fstab as /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. None of the were in raid
    mode So far so good.

    Some days later I decided to create a raid array and added a new 320 GB disk
    to the system Which was recognised as /dev/sdc. I rebuild the array with
    fasttrack utility. According to TX4000 controller I had 2 320GB disks
    functional in RAID1 mode.

    But here is the problem. The system does not see the raid! After the reboot
    the system is going on writing only on 1 disk.

    In my understanding the system should address 2 disks as 1. As they are on
    the harware raid controller the system should see 2 disks on the controller
    as 1. Otherwise where are its raid functions?

    what is interseting is that in fstab I put /dev/sdb1 which corresponds to my
    320GB disk on the 4 channel of the controller. But the writing is done on
    the new disk I added on the 3d channel of the controller. Not on both disks.

    I read howtos and saw that there must be a special /dev/mdN line in fstab
    for the system to see 2 disks as 1 but it deals whith software raid
    cinfiguration whare as I have a hardware raid controller.

    I would be very grateful to anybody to enlighten me upon how I should
    properly configure my HARWARE RAID. Or indicate a howto.

    Thank you very much

  2. Re: Problem with hardware Raid

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:48:35 +0400, "serge"
    wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >could anybody tell me how a hardware raid should be implented under linux.
    >I use Slackware 11.0 Promise FastTrack TX4000 ata raid controller.

    Your Rpomise is not hardware RAID, it is software. There are drivers
    for it, but your real solution if you want it is to find a REAL
    hardware RAID controller. Those are rare for ATA while commonplace
    for SCSI.
    --
    buck

  3. Re: Problem with hardware Raid

    On 2007-08-13, serge wrote:

    > could anybody tell me how a hardware raid should be implented under linux.

    Hardware RAID is completely implemented by the controller. The kernel
    has drivers to talk to the controller, but that's it.

    > when I did the installation of the system I had 1 4chanel ATA Raid Promise
    > FastTrack TX4000 with 2 disks (2 separate disks 250GB and 320GB )
    > to which I wanted to add disks (to each) later to make a RAID1 (mirror)
    > system.

    > The system seems to have recognised the Fasstrack controller with disks
    > attached to it.
    > Here the dmesg output (to be precise this the output when I have added
    > another 320GB disk which is seen as /dev/sdc ):

    Okay, so you have three physical disks, yes?

    > Some days later I decided to create a raid array and added a new 320 GB disk
    > to the system Which was recognised as /dev/sdc. I rebuild the array with
    > fasttrack utility. According to TX4000 controller I had 2 320GB disks
    > functional in RAID1 mode.

    Exactly which disks are in this RAID1, and what is your dmesg output
    after reconfiguring the RAID arrays?

    > But here is the problem. The system does not see the raid! After the reboot
    > the system is going on writing only on 1 disk.

    How did you determine this? Assuming for a moment that your 250GB disk
    is not part of the 320GB RAID array, the controller is presenting the
    kernel with two disks, probably sda and sdb. sdb would be the RAID1
    array, and would show up in dmesg as such. But the kernel has no way of
    knowing that sdb is a RAID; it trusts the controller to do it. Some
    controllers have a web or CLI interface, where you can see the
    configuration of the disks and arrays on the controller.

    > I read howtos and saw that there must be a special /dev/mdN line in fstab
    > for the system to see 2 disks as 1 but it deals whith software raid
    > cinfiguration whare as I have a hardware raid controller.

    That's correct. You need to look at two items: the configuration on the
    controller (through its BIOS, preferably, or its web/cli interface), and
    the dmesg output to see how many disks the kernel sees (which won't tell
    you anything about the actual RAID configuration, but will tell you if,
    say, all three physical disks are seen, then you know there's a problem
    with the RAID config).

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  4. Re: Problem with hardware Raid

    On 2007-08-13, buck wrote:
    > Your Rpomise is not hardware RAID, it is software.

    Ah, I didn't realize that; so my previous post will probably not be
    helpful. My apologies to the OP.

    > There are drivers
    > for it, but your real solution if you want it is to find a REAL
    > hardware RAID controller. Those are rare for ATA while commonplace
    > for SCSI.

    3ware makes many ATA true-hardware RAID controllers.