Printing from Abiword - Slackware

This is a discussion on Printing from Abiword - Slackware ; Slack 10.1 Abiword 2.0.12 KDE 3.2 LPRng 3.8.28 I can't print a .awd document to my Brother HL1440 laser printer. I can print from everything else, Mozilla, Kate, test pages, yada yada. Everything seems just fine EXCEPT for Abiword. When ...

  1. Printing from Abiword

    Slack 10.1
    Abiword 2.0.12
    KDE 3.2
    LPRng 3.8.28

    I can't print a .awd document to my Brother HL1440 laser printer.
    I can print from everything else, Mozilla, Kate, test pages, yada
    yada. Everything seems just fine EXCEPT for Abiword. When I try to
    print, it will "wake" the printer from standby, but no output. I can
    find little or nothing on the web. AW's user's manual doesn't even
    mention printing, ferchrysakes!

    $lpq
    Printer: lp@renric 'hl1250;r=1200x1200;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=aut o'
    Queue: no printable jobs in queue
    Server: no server active
    Rank Owner/ID Pr/Class Job Files
    Size Time
    done notbob@renric+263 A 263 (STDIN) 58211
    22:40:50

    The "print command" in the AW print box says: lpr

    I tried lpr -P with variations of above info with no luck. Anyone
    have any ideas? I'm stumped

    nb

  2. Re: Printing from Abiword

    notbob (notbob@nothome.com) writes:
    > Slack 10.1
    > Abiword 2.0.12
    > KDE 3.2
    > LPRng 3.8.28
    >
    > I can't print a .awd document to my Brother HL1440 laser printer.
    > I can print from everything else, Mozilla, Kate, test pages, yada
    > yada. Everything seems just fine EXCEPT for Abiword. When I try to
    > print, it will "wake" the printer from standby, but no output. I can
    > find little or nothing on the web. AW's user's manual doesn't even
    > mention printing, ferchrysakes!
    >
    > $lpq
    > Printer: lp@renric 'hl1250;r=1200x1200;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=aut o'
    > Queue: no printable jobs in queue
    > Server: no server active
    > Rank Owner/ID Pr/Class Job Files
    > Size Time
    > done notbob@renric+263 A 263 (STDIN) 58211
    > 22:40:50
    >

    > The "print command" in the AW print box says: lpr
    >
    > I tried lpr -P with variations of above info with no luck. Anyone
    > have any ideas? I'm stumped
    >
    > nb

    I've come across something like that, a program that looks like it's
    ready to print but nothing happens. I was going to say it might
    have been abiword, but I did print from it. And I didn't do anything
    to set it up for printing. (Though, I can't remember whether this
    was with Slackware 10.0 or an earlier version of the distribution).

    One simple solution is to print to a file. Then you get a .ps
    file that can so easily be printed by cat file.ps |lpr

    That doesn't solve the problem in the long run, but it will get
    you the ability to print things now.

    Michael

  3. Re: Printing from Abiword

    On 2007-08-11, Michael Black wrote:

    > One simple solution is to print to a file. Then you get a .ps
    > file that can so easily be printed by cat file.ps |lpr
    >
    > That doesn't solve the problem in the long run, but it will get
    > you the ability to print things now.

    Thank you for your reply, Michael, but it didn't work.

    I took it an extra step and opened up the now *.abw.ps file in
    ghostview which displays it perfectly (text+graphic insert). It still
    would not print despite gv printing a dmv form perfectly. Arrrghh!!

    nb

  4. Re: Printing from Abiword

    notbob (notbob@nothome.com) writes:
    > On 2007-08-11, Michael Black wrote:
    >

    >> One simple solution is to print to a file. Then you get a .ps
    >> file that can so easily be printed by cat file.ps |lpr
    >>
    >> That doesn't solve the problem in the long run, but it will get
    >> you the ability to print things now.

    > Thank you for your reply, Michael, but it didn't work.

    I think my level of help has now ended.

    I just fired Abiword up, and just typed some text in, and told it
    to print (lpr) and it worked. I'm certain I did nothing to configure
    abiword in the past.

    Printing it to a file, and then using cat to send that .ps file to
    the printer resulted in identical page.

    That's with
    abiword 2.0.6
    Slackware 10.0.0
    lprng-3.8.27

    Since you can print other things, that would seem to rule out your
    configuration for printing. Yet here, abiword is definitely sending
    out the right thing, so I don't know where the problem lies.

    I was hoping to rule out some of the variables, but this doesn't seem
    to leave any clues.

    Michael

    > I took it an extra step and opened up the now *.abw.ps file in
    > ghostview which displays it perfectly (text+graphic insert). It still
    > would not print despite gv printing a dmv form perfectly. Arrrghh!!
    >
    > nb

  5. Re: Printing from Abiword

    On 2007-08-11, Michael Black wrote:

    > I just fired Abiword up, and just typed some text in, and told it
    > to print (lpr) and it worked. I'm certain I did nothing to configure
    > abiword in the past.

    That's enough for me.

    I read on linuxquestion one fellow claiming abiword needs to be
    configured with gnome support. That would be Qtx something or other,
    if I'm not mistaken. I suspect my abiword is corrupt. I'll either
    recompile of try on my slack 12 box (got config the printer) and see
    what happens. Thnx again.

    nb

  6. Re: Printing from Abiword

    notbob wrote:
    > I took it an extra step and opened up the now *.abw.ps file in
    > ghostview which displays it perfectly (text+graphic insert).

    So you have an abiword capable of producing valid postscript.

    > It still would not print

    As you can print from other things like mozilla you also have a printer
    configuration capable of printing postscript.

    > despite gv printing a dmv form perfectly. Arrrghh!!

    My guess is that you have hit some memory limitation. Maybe your printer
    doesn't have enough ram to print a big postscript file? Is the postscript
    file produced by abiword much bigger than other postscript files that you
    are able to print?

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  7. Re: Printing from Abiword

    On 2007-08-11, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > My guess is that you have hit some memory limitation. Maybe your printer
    > doesn't have enough ram to print a big postscript file? Is the postscript
    > file produced by abiword much bigger than other postscript files that you
    > are able to print?

    Nah. It's abiword. I can't even get it to show simple text output to
    a ps file in a different user account. My whole 10.1 install is
    slightly corrupt, due, I suspect, to power outage crashes while using
    reiserfs. That's why I'm finally moving to 12 on aother box. I just
    need to get around to setting up my printer on the new box. I'm
    wondering if I should stick with lprng, which has worked great, so
    far, or make a stab at cups.

    Here's a funny aside. When I did a KDE test page on my 10.1 box with
    lprng, it came out with a big ol' promo for cups down at the bottom of
    the test page. Pretty obvious what KDE prefers, I reckon.

    nb

+ Reply to Thread