Xine woes update - Slackware

This is a discussion on Xine woes update - Slackware ; Getting close. Deleted Slack supplied Xine backend and GUI. Downloaded latest from Xine mirror and installed them. Same problems - Xine appears then disappears. Ran Xine utility - "xine-check" - packaged with Xine. Tells me all is fine - until ...

  1. Xine woes update

    Getting close. Deleted Slack supplied Xine backend and GUI. Downloaded
    latest from
    Xine mirror and installed them. Same problems - Xine appears then
    disappears.
    Ran Xine utility - "xine-check" - packaged with Xine. Tells me all is
    fine - until the very end
    when it runs this line: "No DISPLAY variable set found". Where am I on
    this one?

    Marv

  2. Re: Xine woes update

    Marv Soloff wrote:
    >Getting close. Deleted Slack supplied Xine backend and
    >GUI. Downloaded latest from
    >Xine mirror and installed them. Same problems - Xine
    >appears then disappears.
    >Ran Xine utility - "xine-check" - packaged with
    >Xine. Tells me all is fine - until the very end
    >when it runs this line: "No DISPLAY variable set found".
    >Where am I on this one?

    What does this produce?

    echo $DISPLAY

    It should be something like ":0.0".

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson

  3. Re: Xine woes update

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > Marv Soloff wrote:
    >
    >>Getting close. Deleted Slack supplied Xine backend and
    >>GUI. Downloaded latest from
    >>Xine mirror and installed them. Same problems - Xine
    >>appears then disappears.
    >>Ran Xine utility - "xine-check" - packaged with
    >>Xine. Tells me all is fine - until the very end
    >>when it runs this line: "No DISPLAY variable set found".
    >>Where am I on this one?

    > What does this produce?
    >
    > echo $DISPLAY
    >
    > It should be something like ":0.0".

    On my "control" machine - i.e. the known good installation of Xine,
    running the
    command "echo $DISPLAY" from terminal produces exactly nothing.

    Thanks,

    Marv

  4. Re: Xine woes update

  5. Re: Xine woes update

    A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    Great suggestion - it,er, doesn't work. If I try to add the DISPLAY
    variable, from either
    the command line (before going to X ) or from within X (after startx)
    using the script for the
    Bourne shell (bash), then run the echo command, the DISPLAY variable
    shows up.
    The Xine engine doesn't start on command. Reboot, and the DISPLAY
    variable disappears when
    I check "env".

    I am confused. How (or what) do I edit to lock in the DISPLAY variable
    and once that is done
    do I re-install the xine lib and gui?

    Marv

  6. Re: Xine woes update

    Marv Soloff says:
    >A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    pgp trash troll delete

    >> Marv Soloff wrote:

    >>>On my "control" machine - i.e. the known good installation of Xine,
    >>>running the
    >>>command "echo $DISPLAY" from terminal produces exactly nothing.

    >> Therein lies your problem. With X running, you need to have
    >> your display variable set. If you have compiled Xine and plan to run it
    >> on the same machine your X Session and window manager are running on,
    >> You can solve this with the following, in bash/ksh/any Bourne Shell
    >> derivitive:

    >> DISPLAY=:0.0 ; export DISPLAY

    >> csh, tcsh, or any other C Shell derivitive:

    >> setenv DISPLAY :0.0

    >> Run xine again, and you should be golden.
    >> - --
    >> Brad Littlejohn | Email: tyketto@sbcglobal.net
    >> Unix Systems Administrator, | tyketto@ozemail.com.au
    >> Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! | http://www.wizard.com/~tyketto
    >> PGP: 1024D/E319F0BF 6980 AAD6 7329 E9E6 D569 F620 C819 199A E319 F0BF

    First of all, whenever you see a posting with all of this crap at the
    bottom you know the poster is an idiot. There are no exceptions.
    Some of these guys will mislead you deliberately, while the others
    simply don't know what they are talking about.

    >Great suggestion - it,er, doesn't work. If I try to add the
    >DISPLAY variable, from either the command line (before going to X )
    >or from within X (after startx) using the script for the Bourne
    >shell (bash), then run the echo command, the DISPLAY variable
    >shows up. The Xine engine doesn't start on command. Reboot, and
    >the DISPLAY variable disappears when I check "env".

    >I am confused. How (or what) do I edit to lock in the DISPLAY
    >variable and once that is done do I re-install the xine lib and
    >gui?

    Put the line "export DISPLAY=:0.0" without the "", in your .profile
    file which is in your user directory. Then you source the .profile
    by typing, from the prompt, . ~/.profile don't forget the ., then
    the space, then the ~/.profile

    Again . .~/.profile

    There is no need to compile or re-install anything.

    If the display environment variable is your problem, and it doesn't
    sound like it to us, this will cure it.

    Don't ever listen to people who put this garbage in their posts:

    --
    http://sports.jrank.org/pages/4065/R...lishments.html

  7. Re: Xine woes update

    Realto Margarino says:

    >Again . .~/.profile

    Sorry, we made a typo. The above line should be:

    .. ~/.profile

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  8. Re: Xine woes update

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 04:42:33 +0000, Realto Margarino babbled:

    > Again . .~/.profile

    You gotta love it when a clueless n00b such as Margarine Boy tries to give
    out advice, and ****s it up. The above is wrong. You should have quit
    when you were ahead, dimwit.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he struggled with the condom.

  9. Re: Xine woes update

    Realto Margarino wrote:

    Major Snip

    > Put the line "export DISPLAY=:0.0" without the "", in your .profile
    > file which is in your user directory. Then you source the .profile
    > by typing, from the prompt, . ~/.profile don't forget the ., then
    > the space, then the ~/.profile
    >
    > Again . .~/.profile
    >
    > There is no need to compile or re-install anything.
    >
    > If the display environment variable is your problem, and it doesn't
    > sound like it to us, this will cure it.
    >
    > Don't ever listen to people who put this garbage in their posts:

    >>Marv

    I'll try adding the line tomorrow - but - and this is a biggie -my
    control machine (Slack 10.2)
    runs Xine flawlessly WITHOUT any DISPLAY variable in the "env". You
    may be right that
    DISPLAY variable is not the problem.

    Marv

  10. Re: Xine woes update

  11. Re: Xine woes update

    A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    Great idea but tiny problem. The machine (CPU + cards) is the same.
    The hard drives
    10.2 and 12 are swapped out. Thanks anyway.

    Marv

+ Reply to Thread