Mplayer Plug-in Headaches - Slackware

This is a discussion on Mplayer Plug-in Headaches - Slackware ; I have used the install scripts from SlackBuilds.org to setup Mplayer, Mplayer-plugin, and the all-codecs package for Slackware 12.Everything compiled and installed without a hitch. Mplayer works fine and plays everything I throw at it. In Firefox the Mplayer plug-in ...

  1. Mplayer Plug-in Headaches

    I have used the install scripts from SlackBuilds.org to setup Mplayer,
    Mplayer-plugin, and the all-codecs package for Slackware 12.Everything
    compiled and installed without a hitch. Mplayer works fine and plays
    everything I throw at it. In Firefox the Mplayer plug-in loads but then
    stops. I have been trying to figure this out for the last few days and
    have had no luck. Could some kind soul make a suggestion as to what I'm
    missing here?

    Regards,

    Wad

  2. Re: Mplayer Plug-in Headaches

    Wad wrote:

    > I have used the install scripts from SlackBuilds.org to setup Mplayer,
    > Mplayer-plugin, and the all-codecs package for Slackware 12.Everything
    > compiled and installed without a hitch. Mplayer works fine and plays
    > everything I throw at it. In Firefox the Mplayer plug-in loads but then
    > stops. I have been trying to figure this out for the last few days and
    > have had no luck. Could some kind soul make a suggestion as to what I'm
    > missing here?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Wad

    I am sorry but I have good news and bad news.

    The good news is when MPlayer works, it works great. When it doesn't, there
    is not much you can do.

    I have actually had better luck using the gzine plugin with some sites.

    Just keep sending email to the sites that insist upon Microsoft sekret stuff
    for their streaming media. I have seen a number of sites come around (CNN
    for one now uses flash). On the bad side, the BBC has actually slipped back
    to Microsoft - send them an email complaining and tell them how happy you
    are with CNN.

  3. Re: Mplayer Plug-in Headaches

    Responding to Red Rocket...
    > Wad wrote:
    >

    >> I have used the install scripts from SlackBuilds.org to setup Mplayer,
    >> Mplayer-plugin, and the all-codecs package for Slackware 12.Everything
    >> compiled and installed without a hitch. Mplayer works fine and plays
    >> everything I throw at it. In Firefox the Mplayer plug-in loads but then
    >> stops. I have been trying to figure this out for the last few days and
    >> have had no luck. Could some kind soul make a suggestion as to what I'm
    >> missing here?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Wad

    > I am sorry but I have good news and bad news.
    >
    > The good news is when MPlayer works, it works great. When it doesn't, there
    > is not much you can do.
    >
    > I have actually had better luck using the gzine plugin with some sites.
    >
    > Just keep sending email to the sites that insist upon Microsoft sekret stuff
    > for their streaming media. I have seen a number of sites come around (CNN
    > for one now uses flash).

    And Flash is a better option, how? As in, "OMG NOOOOOO!"

    Open standards are the only practical solution, not more corporate
    junk. Remember when the idea behind web page content was that the end
    user should be the one to make the final decisions on how it was
    processed? IOW, a direct link to the file rather than half a page of
    obfuscating javascript and reliance on commercial software to render
    it. The end user then simply decides for themselves how to process
    it, instead of having all options curtailed by authoritarian web page
    authors.

    > On the bad side, the BBC has actually slipped back to Microsoft
    > - send them an email complaining and tell them how happy you are
    > with CNN.

    They've "slipped back" from one corporate "solution" to the standard
    corporate "solution". Nothing much has changed. The BBC seem to need
    some kind of arse covering process to evidence they've "protected"
    sub-contracted copyright material. RealPlay had the *legal* solution,
    and so RealPlayer got renamed "The BBC Radio Player". (Nice product
    choice, huh? "OMG! They've used RealPlayer! You bastards!") The
    switch back to M$ is simply because M$ DRM legal-speak makes a better
    promise for the BBC's legal departments should "infringment of
    copyright" suites start appearing.

    Its so damn easy to stream/download the material anyway, the whole
    thing is a farce. The BBC should have had the cajones to simply go
    the open standards route and force the issues regarding program
    content the BBC licence fee payer has already paid for. Dyke might
    have taken this on, but Tony's secret ex-boyfriend, Thompson, does
    nothing of any use except sign the cheques on behalf of his own
    paymasters.

    As for the original question, my advice would be to dump ALL plugins,
    and simply use the "helper application" route. This gives you some
    control back in Firefox, rather than seeing your bandwidth wasted on
    streaming junk and adverts on every page load.

    That, and an up_to_date /etc/hosts ad-catcher list.

    --
    Yellow Submarine?
    Nah. Its a TeaPot!

  4. Re: Mplayer Plug-in Headaches

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 07:55:32 +0000, Wad wrote:

    > I have used the install scripts from SlackBuilds.org to setup Mplayer,
    > Mplayer-plugin, and the all-codecs package for Slackware 12.Everything
    > compiled and installed without a hitch. Mplayer works fine and plays
    > everything I throw at it. In Firefox the Mplayer plug-in loads but then
    > stops. I have been trying to figure this out for the last few days and
    > have had no luck. Could some kind soul make a suggestion as to what I'm
    > missing here?

    To build properly mplayer-plugin has to be built against the source or
    gecko-sdk. To check that do about:

    Gecko/20060910 SeaMonkey/1.0.5

    Gecko needs to be the same for both browsers. You can determine if the
    same levels are used and available by looking around at ftp.mozilla.org

    This is such a PITA I usually use my old Seamonkey and Firefox and
    simply copy over the plugins.

    You can get it to go. I even have my really really old Real Player 7
    working as a plugin (took a bit of work).

    On a related note I also really dislike the Flash plugin. It's a
    guessing game whether it will work and I have to sometimes use the newer
    or older version depending. IMO, this is very sloppy software design.

    I'm using 11 right now so I can't look at the specifics but to my best
    recollection I have it working for both browsers in 12, which is a
    project on my HD at this point. I'm not sure how I did it this time as
    usually it's a little different for each release.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Re: Mplayer Plug-in Headaches

    In newsgroup alt.os.linux.slackware, Ron Gibson wrote:

    []
    > On a related note I also really dislike the Flash plugin. It's a
    > guessing game whether it will work and I have to sometimes use the newer
    > or older version depending. IMO, this is very sloppy software design.

    []

    I wholeheartedly agree. Sloppy indeed. And the more it "evolves", the more
    insecure it seems to be.

    Joe

  6. Re: Mplayer Plug-in Headaches

    Wad wrote:

    > Mplayerplug-in

    Bwah, try MediaPlayerConnectivity extension.

  7. Re: Mplayer Plug-in Headaches

    Joe says:
    >In newsgroup alt.os.linux.slackware, Ron Gibson wrote:

    >[]
    >> On a related note I also really dislike the Flash plugin. It's a
    >> guessing game whether it will work and I have to sometimes use the newer
    >> or older version depending. IMO, this is very sloppy software design.

    >[]

    >I wholeheartedly agree. Sloppy indeed. And the more it "evolves", the more
    >insecure it seems to be.

    Just the same, they support linux, and we'd be screwed right now if
    they didn't.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  8. Re: Mplayer Plug-in Headaches

    Mike wrote:

    > Responding to Red Rocket...
    >> Wad wrote:
    >>> Could some kind soul make a suggestion as to what I'm missing here?

    >> Just keep sending email to the sites that insist upon Microsoft sekret
    >> stuff for their streaming media. I have seen a number of sites come
    >> around (CNN for one now uses flash).

    > And Flash is a better option, how? As in, "OMG NOOOOOO!"

    I have had a lot of success with the latest version of Flash (9,0,48,0) and
    appreciate the support from Adobe.

    > Open standards are the only practical solution, not more corporate
    > junk. Remember when the idea behind web page content was that the end
    > user should be the one to make the final decisions on how it was
    > processed? IOW, a direct link to the file rather than half a page of
    > obfuscating javascript and reliance on commercial software to render
    > it. The end user then simply decides for themselves how to process
    > it, instead of having all options curtailed by authoritarian web page
    > authors.

    I understand your position but I do enjoy being able to run YouTube videos,
    especially at full screen - I also use nVidia's binary drivers.

    (Amazing!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

    >> On the bad side, the BBC has actually slipped back to Microsoft
    >> - send them an email complaining and tell them how happy you are
    >> with CNN.

    > They've "slipped back" from one corporate "solution" to the standard
    > corporate "solution". Nothing much has changed. The BBC seem to need
    > some kind of arse covering process to evidence they've "protected"
    > sub-contracted copyright material. RealPlay had the *legal* solution,
    > and so RealPlayer got renamed "The BBC Radio Player". (Nice product
    > choice, huh? "OMG! They've used RealPlayer! You bastards!") The
    > switch back to M$ is simply because M$ DRM legal-speak makes a better
    > promise for the BBC's legal departments should "infringment of
    > copyright" suites start appearing.

    Yes I acknowledge that BBC does give one a choice when it comes to playing
    news videos (RealPlayer or Microsoft) but even running RealPlayer the
    process is precarious and problems occur.

    > Its so damn easy to stream/download the material anyway, the whole
    > thing is a farce. The BBC should have had the cajones to simply go
    > the open standards route and force the issues regarding program
    > content the BBC licence fee payer has already paid for. Dyke might
    > have taken this on, but Tony's secret ex-boyfriend, Thompson, does
    > nothing of any use except sign the cheques on behalf of his own
    > paymasters.

    I don't know anything about that - I am a Canadian.

    > As for the original question, my advice would be to dump ALL plugins,
    > and simply use the "helper application" route. This gives you some
    > control back in Firefox, rather than seeing your bandwidth wasted on
    > streaming junk and adverts on every page load.

    That is one solution.

    > That, and an up_to_date /etc/hosts ad-catcher list.

    I gather you live in the UK so, Lots of luck with the Beeb.

    I email and mail The CBC to voice my grievances concerning their decision to
    stabilize on a proprietary non-standard streaming standard (Microsoft). The
    fight goes on!

  9. Re: Mplayer Plug-in Headaches

    Responding to Red Rocket...

    [...]
    >> Its so damn easy to stream/download the material anyway, the whole
    >> thing is a farce. The BBC should have had the cajones to simply go
    >> the open standards route and force the issues regarding program
    >> content the BBC licence fee payer has already paid for. Dyke might
    >> have taken this on, but Tony's secret ex-boyfriend, Thompson, does
    >> nothing of any use except sign the cheques on behalf of his own
    >> paymasters.

    > I don't know anything about that - I am a Canadian.

    Greg Dyke was a "Get it done" type of BBC director general.
    Controvertial sometimes, but dedicated and hard working, and believed
    in the BBC as an independant media voice. After some pretty shady
    shenanigans resulting from his voiced objections to Tony Blair's
    "activities", he was "resigned", and Thompson, a Uriah Heap character
    to be found skulking in the background of BBC group management
    photos, appeared from no list of viable potentials to become the
    government's pet director. As a result, the BBC is now almost
    everything NuLab could wish for.

    >> As for the original question, my advice would be to dump ALL plugins,
    >> and simply use the "helper application" route. This gives you some
    >> control back in Firefox, rather than seeing your bandwidth wasted on
    >> streaming junk and adverts on every page load.

    > That is one solution.

    Works for me.

    >> That, and an up_to_date /etc/hosts ad-catcher list.

    > I gather you live in the UK so, Lots of luck with the Beeb.

    Too late. They're moving me to Victory Towers next week.

    > I email and mail The CBC to voice my grievances concerning their decision to
    > stabilize on a proprietary non-standard streaming standard (Microsoft). The
    > fight goes on!

    I bet you have the same type of guys running the CBC, as a result of
    the same kind of political interferances the BBC has seen over the
    last few years. Its a global thing from what I've seen. But thats
    another thread for another newsgroup.

    Tip: Drop this into your ~/bashrc

    alias RealPlayer='mplayer -playlist'

    Should be available on next login.