Desktop - Slackware

This is a discussion on Desktop - Slackware ; Does slackware 11.0 come with desktops other than KDE? If so, how does one change the desktop for a specific user? If 11.0 does not come with other desktops can anyone suggest some good desktops to install and where to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Desktop

    Does slackware 11.0 come with desktops other than KDE?
    If so, how does one change the desktop for a specific user?

    If 11.0 does not come with other desktops can anyone suggest some good
    desktops to install and where to get them?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Desktop

    George says:

    >Does slackware 11.0 come with desktops other than KDE? If so, how
    >does one change the desktop for a specific user?

    >If 11.0 does not come with other desktops can anyone suggest some
    >good desktops to install and where to get them?

    try xwmconfig It will give you a choice of all the windowmanagers
    on your system.

    Try XFCE 4.4.1 and you'll never want anything else. But keep KDE
    around because it has great programs.

    Do not, under any circumstances, get sucked into installing (or
    trying to install) gnome. It is not part of slackware, and for good
    reason.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  3. Re: Desktop

    Realto Margarino wrote:
    > George says:
    >
    >> Does slackware 11.0 come with desktops other than KDE? If so, how
    >> does one change the desktop for a specific user?

    >> If 11.0 does not come with other desktops can anyone suggest some
    >> good desktops to install and where to get them?

    > try xwmconfig It will give you a choice of all the windowmanagers
    > on your system.
    >
    > Try XFCE 4.4.1 and you'll never want anything else. But keep KDE
    > around because it has great programs.
    >
    > Do not, under any circumstances, get sucked into installing (or
    > trying to install) gnome. It is not part of slackware, and for good
    > reason.
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    I opened the xwmconfig program and it does seem to be a tool to change
    the default window manager for X; thats great! but how can I change the
    window manager for only one user to use the XFCE manager while everyone
    else uses the default KDE?

  4. Re: Desktop

    George (romans5_8@earthlink.net) writes:
    > Realto Margarino wrote:
    >> George says:
    >>
    >>> Does slackware 11.0 come with desktops other than KDE? If so, how
    >>> does one change the desktop for a specific user?

    >>> If 11.0 does not come with other desktops can anyone suggest some
    >>> good desktops to install and where to get them?

    >> try xwmconfig It will give you a choice of all the windowmanagers
    >> on your system.
    >>
    >> Try XFCE 4.4.1 and you'll never want anything else. But keep KDE
    >> around because it has great programs.
    >>
    >> Do not, under any circumstances, get sucked into installing (or
    >> trying to install) gnome. It is not part of slackware, and for good
    >> reason.
    >>
    >> cordially, as always,
    >>
    >> rm

    > I opened the xwmconfig program and it does seem to be a tool to change
    > the default window manager for X; thats great! but how can I change the
    > window manager for only one user to use the XFCE manager while everyone
    > else uses the default KDE?

    I wouldn't know all about that fancy stuff.

    But startx runs xinitrc (which may have changed in later versions,
    I'm only running 10 at the moment) and xinitrc does some stuff
    and then runs the window manager. It's in there that what window
    manager you run is defined.

    If you have .xinitrc (or whatever it might have been renamed, if it
    was renamed) in your home directory, then that defines the window
    manager, rather than the system wide define. This is no different
    than pretty much any program that allows the option, it uses
    something to be defined for the system, but you can have your
    own definitions in your home directory.

    So you need to explore and get a properly setup .xinitrc in your
    home directory.

    Michael

  5. Re: Desktop

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:02:50 -0400, George wrote:

    > I opened the xwmconfig program and it does seem to be a tool to change
    > the
    > default window manager for X; thats great! but how can I change the window
    > manager for only one user to use the XFCE manager while everyone else uses
    > the default KDE?

    Modify that users...

    ~/.xinitrc

    Look at the files in /etc/X11/xinit for guidance and read...

    man xinit

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  6. Re: Desktop

    George says:

    >I opened the xwmconfig program and it does seem to be a tool to change
    >the default window manager for X; thats great! but how can I change the
    >window manager for only one user to use the XFCE manager while everyone
    >else uses the default KDE?

    Don't run xwmconfig as root. Run it as the user who wants to change
    from the default.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  7. Re: Desktop

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:02:50 -0400, George wrote:

    > I opened the xwmconfig program and it does seem to be a tool to change
    > the default window manager for X; thats great! but how can I change the
    > window manager for only one user to use the XFCE manager while everyone
    > else uses the default KDE?

    Run it as root and choose KDE.

    Then run it as your normal user account, and choose Xfce.

    Done.

    Duh.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Christopher Robin mounted him from behind.

  8. Re: Desktop

    On 2007-08-08, George wrote:
    > Does slackware 11.0 come with desktops other than KDE?
    > If so, how does one change the desktop for a specific user?

    If you do a default full install, Slack 11 come's with blackbox,
    fluxbox, fvwm2, kde, twm, wmaker, and xfce. You can try them all
    anytime you choose by using the command:

    startx /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.foo

    .....foo being one of the desktops I listed. If you load kde (2nd
    disc) you can call any of its apps from any other desktop. This way
    you can try the other desktops before configuring slack to run the way
    you settle on, or all the time. See other replies for other ways to
    change desktops.

    nb

  9. Re: Desktop

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:23:14 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > Run it as root and choose KDE.

    > Then run it as your normal user account, and choose Xfce.

    > Done.

    Wait a sec. Is he talking about using kdm or gdm and runlevel 5?

    If so, I wouldn't have even answered. Those things are such a PITA for
    my usage habits I stopped even tinkering with them 5 years ago.

    They don't support the flags that X, xinit, startx, etc do.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  10. Re: Desktop

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 03:42:49 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    >> Run it as root and choose KDE.
    >> Then run it as your normal user account, and choose Xfce.

    > Wait a sec. Is he talking about using kdm or gdm and runlevel 5?

    Heh, dunno. Didn't even think of that, just assumed he's using runlevel
    3 and "startx", like any good Slacker would.

    > If so, I wouldn't have even answered. Those things are such a PITA for
    > my usage habits I stopped even tinkering with them 5 years ago.

    Indeed.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he wondered why he bothered to answer.

  11. Re: Desktop

    Ron Gibson says:
    >On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:23:14 -0500, Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> Run it as root and choose KDE.

    >> Then run it as your normal user account, and choose Xfce.

    >> Done.

    >Wait a sec. Is he talking about using kdm or gdm and runlevel 5?

    >If so, I wouldn't have even answered. Those things are such a PITA for
    >my usage habits I stopped even tinkering with them 5 years ago.

    >They don't support the flags that X, xinit, startx, etc do.

    If you system is setup properly you don't have to give the startx
    command any flags. Let the computer remember the options. They're
    a lot better at it than you are.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  12. Re: Desktop

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:54:26 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > George says:
    >
    >>Does slackware 11.0 come with desktops other than KDE? If so, how does
    >>one change the desktop for a specific user?

    >>If 11.0 does not come with other desktops can anyone suggest some good
    >>desktops to install and where to get them?

    > try xwmconfig It will give you a choice of all the windowmanagers on
    > your system.
    >
    > Try XFCE 4.4.1 and you'll never want anything else. But keep KDE around
    > because it has great programs.
    >
    > Do not, under any circumstances, get sucked into installing (or trying
    > to install) gnome. It is not part of slackware, and for good reason.

    As usual, you have no clue what you are talking about. There are
    painless ways to install Gnome under Slackware, GSlacky (at slacky.eu)
    being probably the best.

  13. Re: Desktop

    George wrote:
    > Realto Margarino wrote:
    >> George says:
    >>
    >>> Does slackware 11.0 come with desktops other than KDE? If so, how
    >>> does one change the desktop for a specific user?

    >>> If 11.0 does not come with other desktops can anyone suggest some
    >>> good desktops to install and where to get them?

    >> try xwmconfig It will give you a choice of all the windowmanagers
    >> on your system.
    >>
    >> Try XFCE 4.4.1 and you'll never want anything else. But keep KDE
    >> around because it has great programs.
    >>
    >> Do not, under any circumstances, get sucked into installing (or
    >> trying to install) gnome. It is not part of slackware, and for good
    >> reason.
    >>
    >> cordially, as always,
    >>
    >> rm

    > I opened the xwmconfig program and it does seem to be a tool to change
    > the default window manager for X; thats great! but how can I change the
    > window manager for only one user to use the XFCE manager while everyone
    > else uses the default KDE?

    copy the xinitrc.{wm} files from /etc/X11/xinit to your home directory
    symlink the one you want like this ln -s .xinitrc.xfce .xinitrc

    now to make kde the default wm for the rest of the users i would copy
    the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.kde file to
    the skeleton directory which is /etc/skel/ as /etc/skel/.xinitrc this
    should work as we can see this section in the useradd
    manual

    -m The user's home directory will be created if it does
    not exist. The
    files contained in skeleton_dir will be copied to the
    home directory if
    the -k option is used, otherwise the files contained in
    /etc/skel will be
    used instead. Any directories contained in
    skeleton_dir or /etc/skel
    will be created in the user's home directory as well.
    The -k option is
    only valid in conjunction with the -m option. The
    default is to not cre-
    ate the directory and to not copy any files.

    dont forget the -m switch when adding users with useradd

    greetings

  14. Re: Desktop

    Ivar Rosquist says:
    > Realto Margarino wrote:

    >> Do not, under any circumstances, get sucked into installing (or
    >> trying to install) gnome. It is not part of slackware, and for
    >> good reason.

    >As usual, you have no clue what you are talking about. There are
    >painless ways to install Gnome under Slackware, GSlacky (at
    >slacky.eu) being probably the best.

    Perhaps. Perhaps not. But there is no "painless" way of using
    Gnome, so what difference does it make? In any case, make sure you
    tell "Pat", about installing Gnome in slack, and not us.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  15. Re: Desktop

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:49:54 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > Ivar Rosquist says:
    >> Realto Margarino wrote:

    >>> Do not, under any circumstances, get sucked into installing (or trying
    >>> to install) gnome. It is not part of slackware, and for good reason.

    >>As usual, you have no clue what you are talking about. There are
    >>painless ways to install Gnome under Slackware, GSlacky (at slacky.eu)
    >>being probably the best.

    > Perhaps. Perhaps not. But there is no "painless" way of using Gnome,
    > so what difference does it make?

    Strike two! Of course Gnome can be used painlessly, just as KDE
    or any other decent desktop. Once again, your ignorance comes to fore.

    > In any case, make sure you tell "Pat", about installing Gnome in slack,
    > and not us.

    No need to tell Mr. Volkerding anything; he's chosen not to
    include Gnome, and that's that. But, like I said above (in case you have
    problems understanding that) Gnome can be installed and used painlessly
    under Slackware.

    As for telling you - what for? You have proven time and again to
    be impervious to learning and to dropping your own little prejudices
    based on your inveterate ignorance.

  16. Re: Desktop

    Realto Margarino wrote:
    > George says:
    >
    >> I opened the xwmconfig program and it does seem to be a tool to change
    >> the default window manager for X; thats great! but how can I change the
    >> window manager for only one user to use the XFCE manager while everyone
    >> else uses the default KDE?

    > Don't run xwmconfig as root. Run it as the user who wants to change
    > from the default.
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    Realto,
    Thank you for your help and the easy solutions. This is working
    great! I set the default window manager as root, and each user can now
    use the window manager to set their own desktop.

    Thanks!

  17. Re: Desktop

    Ivar Rosquist says:

    >As for telling you - what for? You have proven time and again to be
    >impervious to learning and to dropping your own little prejudices
    >based on your inveterate ignorance.

    We think that anyone who still uses gnome, while KDE and XFCE are
    around, is the person impervious learning and to dropping his own
    little prejudices based on your inveterate ignorance.

    But if you want to keep on using gnome, then by all means continue.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  18. Re: Desktop

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:46:21 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > Ivar Rosquist says:
    >
    >>As for telling you - what for? You have proven time and again to be
    >>impervious to learning and to dropping your own little prejudices based
    >>on your inveterate ignorance.

    > We think that anyone who still uses gnome,

    We? WE? Can't you make a stand on your own?

    > while KDE and XFCE are
    > around, is the person impervious learning and to dropping his own little
    > prejudices based on your inveterate ignorance.

    Can't you see that you are a complete moron? Of course not, you
    don't have the minimum competence for that. Not only do you paraphrase
    me, probably because, like Eliza, you can't understand the meaning of my
    words - albeit, again like Eliza, you have been able to change the
    possessive adjectives correctly.

    In addition, you have fallen into the trivial trap of assuming
    that one (me, in this case) uses Gnome to the exclusion of other things -
    something that I have never said.

    Think again, Butterino. Or, rather, for once just try to -
    something that your two functional brain cells probably won't be able to
    attain anyway.

  19. Re: Desktop

    Ivar Rosquist says:
    >On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:46:21 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:
    >> Ivar Rosquist says:

    >>>As for telling you - what for? You have proven time and again to
    >>>be impervious to learning and to dropping your own little
    >>>prejudices based on your inveterate ignorance.

    >> We think that anyone who still uses gnome,

    > We? WE? Can't you make a stand on your own?

    Well, that's really relevant to the argument, isn't it?

    >> while KDE and XFCE are around, is the person impervious learning
    >> and to dropping his own little prejudices based on your
    >> inveterate ignorance.

    >Can't you see that you are a complete moron? Of course not, you
    >don't have the minimum competence for that. Not only do you
    >paraphrase me, probably because, like Eliza, you can't understand
    >the meaning of my words - albeit, again like Eliza, you have been
    >able to change the possessive adjectives correctly.

    Who is Eliza? Your mom? You still have issues with mom?

    >In addition, you have fallen into the trivial trap of assuming that
    >one (me, in this case) uses Gnome to the exclusion of other things
    >- something that I have never said.

    Can't make up your mind, eh? Here is a hint: make up a list of the
    applications that you usually run, and then test the running of
    those applications against the various windowmanagers you're
    considering. You'll soon see a difference and then you can go with
    the one that comes out on top.

    >Think again, Butterino. Or, rather, for once just try to -
    >something that your two functional brain cells probably won't be
    >able to attain anyway.

    Silly insults, immaterial to the issues at hand. Your debating
    style is, unfortunately, quite common, especially around here.
    The "two brain cells" is a cliche that was officially banned from
    the alt.* newsgroups in March 23, 1999.

    By all means, continue with Gnome. You have our permission. But
    you should develop a bit thicker skin since, from here on in, more
    and more people are going to think you are an idiot for using Gnome.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    http://sports.jrank.org/pages/4065/R...lishments.html

  20. Re: Desktop

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:37:45 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > Ivar Rosquist says:
    >>On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:46:21 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:
    >>> Ivar Rosquist says:

    >>> We think that anyone who still uses gnome,

    >> We? WE? Can't you make a stand on your own?

    > Well, that's really relevant to the argument, isn't it?

    It's not. Unless there is universal agreement that Gnome is a
    piece of crap that nobody should use, that's not relevant. Since there
    isn't such an agreement, your pathetic attempt to get external protection
    is irrelevant.

    If you have an opinion on something, you should be courageous
    enough to stand by it on yor own. If you can't, go back to mommy.

    >>> while KDE and XFCE are around, is the person impervious learning and
    >>> to dropping his own little prejudices based on your inveterate
    >>> ignorance.

    >>Can't you see that you are a complete moron? Of course not, you don't
    >>have the minimum competence for that. Not only do you paraphrase me,
    >>probably because, like Eliza, you can't understand the meaning of my
    >>words - albeit, again like Eliza, you have been able to change the
    >>possessive adjectives correctly.

    > Who is Eliza? Your mom? You still have issues with mom?

    You are even more ignorant than I thought. Do yourself a favor
    and use Google to search for Eliza and Weizenbaum and learn a little bit,
    for a change. Not only are you ignorant, you seem to be indolent to boot.

    >>In addition, you have fallen into the trivial trap of assuming that one
    >>(me, in this case) uses Gnome to the exclusion of other things -
    >>something that I have never said.

    > Can't make up your mind, eh?

    Strike three! Yet again an unwarranted assumption. My views on
    the relative strengths of Gnome and any other desktop system are
    irrelevant. If you examine this thread, you will notice that I just
    pointed out that, contrary to your assertions, installing Gnome in
    Slackware is a painless exercise.

    > Here is a hint: make up a list of the
    > applications that you usually run, and then test the running of those
    > applications against the various windowmanagers you're considering.

    Still learning grammar? It is "window managers", not
    "windowmanagers". Does your ignorance know no limits? Apparently not, for
    you don't even know that we are not talking about window managers, but
    desktop environments. You'll find window managers as components of
    desktop environments - not the other way around.

    Are we learning yet, or are your two brain cells already strained?

    > You'll soon see a difference and then you can go with the one that comes
    > out on top.

    Let me tell you a "secret": Different people run different
    applications, and some applications are better supported/look better
    under some environments than under others. Can you make the immediate
    inference from this, or do you need some help?

    >>Think again, Butterino. Or, rather, for once just try to - something
    >>that your two functional brain cells probably won't be able to attain
    >>anyway.

    > Silly insults, immaterial to the issues at hand.

    Not at all: They are humorous descriptions of your meager
    understanding capabilities and reluctancy to learn.

    > Your debating style
    > is, unfortunately, quite common, especially around here. The "two brain
    > cells" is a cliche that was officially banned from the alt.* newsgroups
    > in March 23, 1999.

    Oh my, my! I guess that the net police will be booking me any day
    no. OK, that was a bit too much: Are you happy with three, rather than
    two, brain cells.

    > By all means, continue with Gnome. You have our permission.

    YOUR permission? Whose permission? Yours, Butterino? Does one
    actually need your permission? You really illustrate what chutzpah is all
    about (Yes, do look it up and learn.)

    Well, I think your permission is not required. Maybe in your
    world of ignorance it is, but not in the real one. Do you really think
    that anyone is going to wait for your royal stamp of approval before
    running Gnome or anything else?

    > But you should develop a bit thicker skin since, from here on in, more
    > and more people are going to think you are an idiot for using Gnome.

    Now I am really worried. Just imagine: People are going to think
    that I am an idiot because I use Gnome/KDE/XFCE/whatever. What am I going
    to do? Would asking people please not to think that I am an idiot help?

    You of course don't have to worry about that, because nobody
    thinks that you are idiot, Butterino. Again, can you make the immediate
    inference, or do your two (oh, excuse me, three) brain cells need some
    further input?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast