Pine Collection List - Slackware

This is a discussion on Pine Collection List - Slackware ; Not necessarily Slackware specific, but I am having a problem viewing messages with pine. I set up a collection list for my POP mail, and the only folders that are displayed are the drafts, sent, spam, and trash. I cannot ...

  1. Pine Collection List

    Not necessarily Slackware specific, but I am having a problem viewing
    messages with pine.
    I set up a collection list for my POP mail, and the only folders that are
    displayed are the drafts, sent, spam, and trash. I cannot access the
    Inbox messages. The collection list path is set to the INBOX, but no
    messages are displayed. I can navigate to the above-mentioned folders and
    view their messages, however.
    Any help or suggestions?

  2. Re: Pine Collection List

    Dave Miller says:

    >Not necessarily Slackware specific, but I am having a problem
    >viewing messages with pine. I set up a collection list for my POP
    >mail, and the only folders that are displayed are the drafts, sent,
    >spam, and trash. I cannot access the Inbox messages. The
    >collection list path is set to the INBOX, but no messages are
    >displayed. I can navigate to the above-mentioned folders and view
    >their messages, however. Any help or suggestions?

    Given that pine won't display graphics, why would you use it for
    your email? The easiest method is to setup thunderbird and use it
    for pop retrieval. All of your messages, from multiple pop-servers,
    can be downloaded to the same inbox, or a different inbox, as your
    taste demands.

    This is not meant to be a flame. We are just pointing out the
    versatility of modern gui newsreaders, in case you weren't aware of
    it. Thunderbird was unbearable as recently as a year ago, but it is
    the most solid, attractive, and easy to use and configure newsreader
    around. It will do anything pine will do, and a whole lot more
    besides.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  3. Re: Pine Collection List

    Roger Maynard wrote:
    > Dave Miller says:
    >> Not necessarily Slackware specific, but I am having a problem
    >> viewing messages with pine. I set up a collection list for my POP
    >> mail, and the only folders that are displayed are the drafts, sent,
    >> spam, and trash. I cannot access the Inbox messages. The
    >> collection list path is set to the INBOX, but no messages are
    >> displayed. I can navigate to the above-mentioned folders and view
    >> their messages, however. Any help or suggestions?

    Here's what my settings look like.
    - M S C (main setup config)
    - inbox-path = {/ssl/user=}inbox
    - incoming-archive-folders = Inbox.
    - M S L (main setup lists)
    - Server = /ssl/user=
    - Path = Inbox.
    Maybe that helps?

    Roger Maynard wrote:
    > Given that pine won't display graphics, why would you use it for
    > your email?

    I see that as a security feature. Because of this
    - people can't use http image hits to track my mail receipt
    - I don't have to view junk images

    > Thunderbird was unbearable as recently as a year ago, but it is
    > the most solid, attractive, and easy to use and configure newsreader
    > It will do anything pine will do, and a whole lot more besides
    > besides.

    Pine is still a useful mail reader.

    For usenet, Tbird and Pan are both good. For email, Pine is in some
    ways superior. Can Tbird store my addressbook and configuration
    settings on an IMAP server? Does Tbird have nice keyboard shortcuts
    for "show only messages containing 'tomato' in the subject line" (Pine
    commands: "; t s tomato z").

    Peace,
    Daniel

  4. Re: Pine Collection List

    D Herring says:
    >Gary Cooper wrote:

    >Roger Maynard wrote:

    Sorry, dude. But that wasn't Roger Manyard. Nor was it Guy Macon,
    acting like Roger Manyard. It was us.

    >> Given that pine won't display graphics, why would you use it for
    >> your email?

    >I see that as a security feature. Because of this - people can't
    >use http image hits to track my mail receipt - I don't have to view
    >junk images

    Oh, so you're paranoid? You'll find plenty of company here. But
    keep in mind that a "http image hit" does not in any way prove that
    you, or anyone else, actually read the message. Furthermore, lots
    of the messages including graphics are not junk.

    We believe that you're a small man who took a long time to learn his
    CLI programs and now that he thinks he knows them, he is loathe to
    try anything else. You're like that guy who insisted on riding
    horses downtown in the 1920's. You're the guy who kept the
    gaslights going because you didn't trust that newfangled
    "electricity" stuff. You'll only smoke your own dope, even though
    it doesn't get anybody high. Still watching those Beverly
    Hillbillies reruns?

    But you have every right to be who you wish to be.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  5. Re: Pine Collection List

    GUI apps are great, I have nothing against them, but at work, I can only
    access my home computer using ssh through a text terminal.

    > Given that pine won't display graphics, why would you use it for
    > your email? The easiest method is to setup thunderbird and use it
    > for pop retrieval. All of your messages, from multiple pop-servers,
    > can be downloaded to the same inbox, or a different inbox, as your
    > taste demands.
    >
    > This is not meant to be a flame. We are just pointing out the
    > versatility of modern gui newsreaders, in case you weren't aware of
    > it. Thunderbird was unbearable as recently as a year ago, but it is
    > the most solid, attractive, and easy to use and configure newsreader
    > around. It will do anything pine will do, and a whole lot more
    > besides.

  6. Re: Pine Collection List

    My setup looks just like yours. But, like I said, the Inbox messages do
    not display (only the trash, spam, sent, and draft folders are displayed).
    For now, I am just using fetchmail to retreive them...they
    atleast show up in my main message index.

    Thanks for atleast verifying that I set it up correctly.

    On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, D Herring wrote:

    > Here's what my settings look like.
    > - M S C (main setup config)
    > - inbox-path = {/ssl/user=}inbox
    > - incoming-archive-folders = Inbox.
    > - M S L (main setup lists)
    > - Server = /ssl/user=
    > - Path = Inbox.
    > Maybe that helps?

  7. Re: Pine Collection List

    On 2007-08-05, Dave Miller wrote:
    > Not necessarily Slackware specific, but I am having a problem viewing
    > messages with pine.
    > I set up a collection list for my POP mail, and the only folders that are
    > displayed are the drafts, sent, spam, and trash. I cannot access the
    > Inbox messages. The collection list path is set to the INBOX, but no
    > messages are displayed. I can navigate to the above-mentioned folders and
    > view their messages, however.
    > Any help or suggestions?

    I use Pine exclusively on my system via a DSL account at home. Check the
    settings in the agent used to fetch the mail, such as fetchmail or getpop3,
    etc., if using such. Fetchmail has many settings, for example. Are any other
    filtering programs used, such as mailfilter or procmail?

    Also are the permissions set correctly for the file Inbox? If your mail
    fetching agent deletes the emails from the mail server, do a check to see if
    the emails were deleted on that server, signifying reception in your
    computer.

    ....Edwin
    "Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
    turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
    return."-da Vinci http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/edwinljohnson

  8. Re: Pine Collection List

    There is a Pine successor in the works named Alpine, with many new features
    (like utf-8 support). Best MUA just got a lot better.

  9. Re: Pine Collection List

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 20:54:48 -0400,
    D Herring wrote:
    > Roger Maynard wrote:
    >> Dave Miller says:
    >>> Not necessarily Slackware specific, but I am having a problem
    >>> viewing messages with pine. I set up a collection list for my POP
    >>> mail, and the only folders that are displayed are the drafts, sent,
    >>> spam, and trash. I cannot access the Inbox messages. The
    >>> collection list path is set to the INBOX, but no messages are
    >>> displayed. I can navigate to the above-mentioned folders and view
    >>> their messages, however. Any help or suggestions?

    > Here's what my settings look like.
    > - M S C (main setup config)
    > - inbox-path = {/ssl/user=}inbox
    > - incoming-archive-folders = Inbox.
    > - M S L (main setup lists)
    > - Server = /ssl/user=
    > - Path = Inbox.
    > Maybe that helps?

    I have PINE configured to access /var/spool/mail/theo as my
    primary inbox using imap. The only way I could find to add pop3
    accounts was to edit ~/.pinerc directly. Here is how mine are
    configured:

    # List of incoming msg folders besides INBOX, e.g. ={host2}inbox, {host3}inbox
    # Syntax: optnl-label {optnl-imap-host-name}folder-path
    incoming-folders=ted {linus.heise.nu:143/user=ted},
    Insight {mail.insightbb.com/pop3/user=t.heise},
    netINS {pop3.netins.net/pop3/user=theise}

    Hope that helps.

    --
    Theodore (Ted) Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

+ Reply to Thread