Installing Slackware 12 on Linux Software RAID and LVM2 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Installing Slackware 12 on Linux Software RAID and LVM2 - Slackware ; Summary: This article describes how I installed Slackware 12 onto Linux Software RAID partitions and LVM logical volumes. It is the first time I played with Software RAID and LVM. In my case, the root filesystem is installed on a ...

  1. Installing Slackware 12 on Linux Software RAID and LVM2

    Software RAID partitions and LVM logical volumes. It is the first time
    I played with Software RAID and LVM.

    In my case, the root filesystem is installed on a RAID-1 partition
    (non-LVM), and other filesystems (like /home, /tmp, and swap) are on
    LVM logical volumes on top of RAID-1 or RAID-0 arrays. I read from
    somewhere (and I concur) that it is not necessary and not good to put
    root partition into LVM, because if anything screws up, it is easier
    to get into root partition and do recovery if you don't have to deal
    with LVM. If you run into space problems with root filesystem later,
    you can always move some directories to another filesystem and change
    the mount points easily. I still want the root filesystem to be on
    RAID because I want the redundancy and speed gain on reads.

    Details:
    http://pumpump.blogspot.com/2007/07/...-on-linux.html

  2. Re: Installing Slackware 12 on Linux Software RAID and LVM2

    On Aug 1, 2:43 am, charles.xu.ch...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Software RAID partitions and LVM logical volumes. It is the first time
    > I played with Software RAID and LVM.

    Thanks for the link. This is something I'm definitely going to be
    trying when I do my reinstall.

  3. Re: Installing Slackware 12 on Linux Software RAID and LVM2

    charles.xu.cheng@gmail.com schrieb:
    > Software RAID partitions and LVM logical volumes. It is the first time
    > I played with Software RAID and LVM.
    > [...]
    >
    > Details:
    > http://pumpump.blogspot.com/2007/07/...-on-linux.html

    Very nice!

    I specially liked that sfdisk trick to duplicate partitioning. mdadm usage
    was also useful, which I haven't used much.

    regards
    Visvanath

  4. Re: Installing Slackware 12 on Linux Software RAID and LVM2

    On Aug 2, 12:07 am, Visvanath Ratnaweera wrote:
    > charles.xu.ch...@gmail.com schrieb:

    > > Software RAID partitions and LVM logical volumes. It is the first time
    > > I played with Software RAID and LVM.
    > > [...]

    > > Details:
    > >http://pumpump.blogspot.com/2007/07/...re-12-on-linux....

    > Very nice!
    >
    > I specially liked that sfdisk trick to duplicate partitioning. mdadm usage
    > was also useful, which I haven't used much.
    >
    > regards
    > Visvanath

    Thanks. The sfdisk trick was learnt from one of the referenced links.

+ Reply to Thread