Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question - Slackware

This is a discussion on Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question - Slackware ; Hi all, Trying to dual boot a machine, and having trouble. DRIVE 1: Windows XP, 80gb ntfs DRIVE 2: Slackware Linux on 10mb partition, 30mb ntfs partition 1. I'd like to let boot.ini handle the choice. 2. I installed LILO ...

  1. Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    Hi all,

    Trying to dual boot a machine, and having trouble.

    DRIVE 1: Windows XP, 80gb ntfs
    DRIVE 2: Slackware Linux on 10mb partition, 30mb ntfs partition

    1. I'd like to let boot.ini handle the choice.
    2. I installed LILO on the boot sector of the 10mb partition.
    3. I added "c:\bootsect.lnx="Slackware Linux v11.0"

    Here's my boot.ini:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    c:\bootsect.lnx="Slackware Linux v11.0"

    Whaddya think?

  2. Re: Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    Dorsiflector wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Trying to dual boot a machine, and having trouble.
    >
    > DRIVE 1: Windows XP, 80gb ntfs
    > DRIVE 2: Slackware Linux on 10mb partition, 30mb ntfs partition
    >
    > 1. I'd like to let boot.ini handle the choice.
    > 2. I installed LILO on the boot sector of the 10mb partition.
    > 3. I added "c:\bootsect.lnx="Slackware Linux v11.0"
    >
    > Here's my boot.ini:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    > c:\bootsect.lnx="Slackware Linux v11.0"
    >
    > Whaddya think?

    If you don't want to use lilo or grub (which are superior), then you will need to use
    bootpart.exe to create a loader to use in boot.ini

    http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

  3. Re: Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    Dorsiflector wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Trying to dual boot a machine, and having trouble.
    >
    > DRIVE 1: Windows XP, 80gb ntfs
    > DRIVE 2: Slackware Linux on 10mb partition, 30mb ntfs partition
    >
    > 1. I'd like to let boot.ini handle the choice.
    > 2. I installed LILO on the boot sector of the 10mb partition.
    > 3. I added "c:\bootsect.lnx="Slackware Linux v11.0"

    Did you skip some steps on the list, or did you really skip them? Does c
    \bootsect.lnx exist? If so, how did you create it? Here's how it's done
    (on my system):

    1. create /bootsect.lnx:
    dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=1 count=512
    2. copy resulting bootsect.lnx file to /mnt/dosc

    These would be steps 3 and 4 in your list, and must be done any and every
    time you run lilo for any reason. Substitute your 10mb partition for
    my /dev/sda1, and your XP root directory for my /mnt/dosc.

    Oh, almost forgot. You didn't really install Slackware on an ntfs
    filesystem, did you?

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  4. Re: Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    Old Man wrote:
    > Dorsiflector wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Trying to dual boot a machine, and having trouble.
    >>
    >> DRIVE 1: Windows XP, 80gb ntfs
    >> DRIVE 2: Slackware Linux on 10mb partition, 30mb ntfs partition
    >>
    >> 1. I'd like to let boot.ini handle the choice.
    >> 2. I installed LILO on the boot sector of the 10mb partition.
    >> 3. I added "c:\bootsect.lnx="Slackware Linux v11.0"

    > Did you skip some steps on the list, or did you really skip them? Does c
    > \bootsect.lnx exist? If so, how did you create it? Here's how it's done
    > (on my system):
    >
    > 1. create /bootsect.lnx:
    > dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=1 count=512
    > 2. copy resulting bootsect.lnx file to /mnt/dosc
    >
    > These would be steps 3 and 4 in your list, and must be done any and every
    > time you run lilo for any reason. Substitute your 10mb partition for
    > my /dev/sda1, and your XP root directory for my /mnt/dosc.
    >
    > Oh, almost forgot. You didn't really install Slackware on an ntfs
    > filesystem, did you?

    I assume from his post that WinXP is already set up in the MBR to boot and so he
    can't boot into Slack to follow your instructions (and can't figure out how to do it
    from the boot CD...maybe can't find the partitions). Hopefully he installed lilo
    onto the superblock of the linux partition. A windows user setting up linux on some
    spare space is better of using:

    1. bootpart

    2. a vm like virtualbox (Slack 11 runs nice in it under WindowsXP).

  5. Re: Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    On 2007-07-31, Dorsiflector wrote:

    > DRIVE 1: Windows XP, 80gb ntfs
    > DRIVE 2: Slackware Linux on 10mb partition, 30mb ntfs partition
    >
    > 1. I'd like to let boot.ini handle the choice.
    > 2. I installed LILO on the boot sector of the 10mb partition.

    Why?

    Screw a 10mb boot partition. Go into DOS, or whatever Windows is
    calling it on your version, and do:

    fdisk /mbr

    Now, intall Slackware on partitions you create with linux fdsisk or
    cfdisk. Install lilo on the mbr. I've successfully dual-booted many
    versions of *nix from Solaris to BSD to Slack. I've never done it any
    other way. It's never failed. If it does, you didn't do it right or
    have hardware issues. Anyone who tells you otherwise is fulla crap.

    nb

  6. Re: Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    OK... thanks everybody... just so you know I'm not a total noob I was a CS
    major and a Solaris admin for a couple of years but I switched to Windows
    for 10 years (baaad move and I'm coming back up to speed.

    The question I'm trying to answer is: What's the best dual-boot setup for
    this machine? Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Again the
    hardware arrangement is two disks:

    DISK 1: 80mb-wd, all ntfs, Windows XP running fine.
    DISK 2: 40mb-wd,
    - 30mb-ntfs, used to back up files
    - 10mb-linux fs (btw what's the name for that fs?), bootable with linux
    diskette

    Whenever people take the time to respond to my questions I think it's only
    polite to respond back, so find my responses below:

    ========================
    RE: KING BEOWULF POST #1: "If you don't want to use lilo or grub (which are
    superior), then you will need to use
    bootpart.exe to create a loader to use in boot.ini"

    RESPONSE: Why is lilo or grub superior?
    RESPONSE: Based on article http://www.linux.com/articles/113945 it would
    appear that minimal disruption to XP is the superior choice for a dual bot.

    ========================
    RE: OLD MAN:
    > Did you skip some steps on the list, or did you really skip them?

    RESPONSE: I really skipped them.

    > Does c\bootsect.lnx exist? If so, how did you create it? Here's how it's
    > done

    RESPONSE: Nope. Didn't know I had to until you told me.

    > Oh, almost forgot. You didn't really install Slackware on an ntfs
    > filesystem, did you?

    RESPONSE: I left the partition space open and formatted it with linux fs
    when I installed slackware.

    =========================
    RE: KING BEOWULF POST #1
    > I assume from his post that WinXP is already set up in the MBR to boot

    RESPONSE: TRUE!

    > and so he can't boot into Slack to follow your instructions (and can't
    > figure out how to do it

    from the boot CD...maybe can't find the partitions).
    RESPONSE: FALSE! I can boot into Slack using the diskette!

    > Hopefully he installed lilo onto the superblock of the linux partition.

    RESPONSE: TRUE. After I installed slack I went back and did this.

    A windows user setting up linux on some spare space is better of using:

    1. bootpart
    2. a vm like virtualbox (Slack 11 runs nice in it under WindowsXP).

    ========================
    RE: NB

    Screw a 10mb boot partition. Go into DOS, or whatever Windows is
    calling it on your version, and do:

    fdisk /mbr
    RESPONSE: Don't need to do this the machine still boots fine into Windows XP

    > Now, intall Slackware on partitions you create with linux fdsisk or

    cfdisk. Install lilo on the mbr. I've successfully dual-booted many
    versions of *nix from Solaris to BSD to Slack. I've never done it any
    other way. It's never failed. If it does, you didn't do it right or
    have hardware issues. Anyone who tells you otherwise is fulla crap.

    nb

    RESPONSE: I'm nervous about installing LILO on the mbr cause I don't wanna
    kill XP. That's why I wanted to put boot.ini in charge. Is this safe?
    Again reference http://www.linux.com/articles/113945

    TY all!

  7. Re: Oops! Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    Oops! I meant GB not MB. Refer to this post instead.

  8. Re: Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    On 2007-07-31, Dorsiflector wrote:

    > RESPONSE: FALSE! I can boot into Slack using the diskette!

    If you can boot to Slack with a diskette, what's the problem?

    > RESPONSE: I'm nervous about installing LILO on the mbr cause I don't wanna
    > kill XP. That's why I wanted to put boot.ini in charge. Is this safe?

    I may have been hasty on this, you running XP and all. I've little
    experience with XP except on other peoples computers, so may be fulla
    crap, myself. I'm not seeing fdisk at all on XP. If I did the fdisk
    /mbr thing, I'd use a 6.22 DOS or old W9x boot diskette. This
    rewrites the MBR and makes it all shiny and clean. Then, when you
    install Slack, it writes lilo to the MBR, if that is your choice.
    Slack will see the other OS (XP) and ask if you want it included in
    lilo. You answer affirmative and it puts both OS's choices in lilo on
    the MBR. Then, when you boot, after the BIOS hands off the system,
    lilo will ask which OS you want to boot to. As I understand it, if
    something goes wrong and your XP MBR gets corrupted, you can take it
    back to the original XP MBR with the command, fixmbr. See here:

    http://articles.networktechs.com/53-p1.php

    That's the beauty of Linux. There is always more than one way to
    accomplish anything. So, it's up to you how you want to procede. If
    you can boot from a diskette, you've already found one way. I prefer
    lilo on mbr, despite many nay-sayers and grub fans. This is only
    because it has always worked for me and I'm not about to screw up a
    good thing. Good luck on whichever new approach you decide.

    nb

  9. Re: Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    So, in sum, you suggest installing LILO on the mbr?

    <>

    Is this gonna break XP? Microsoft can be very finicky when anything upsets
    the boot sequence.

    "notbob" wrote in message
    news:IoCdnaq6WaBWVzLbnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > On 2007-07-31, Dorsiflector wrote:
    >
    >> RESPONSE: FALSE! I can boot into Slack using the diskette!

    > If you can boot to Slack with a diskette, what's the problem?
    >
    >> RESPONSE: I'm nervous about installing LILO on the mbr cause I don't
    >> wanna
    >> kill XP. That's why I wanted to put boot.ini in charge. Is this safe?

    > I may have been hasty on this, you running XP and all. I've little
    > experience with XP except on other peoples computers, so may be fulla
    > crap, myself. I'm not seeing fdisk at all on XP. If I did the fdisk
    > /mbr thing, I'd use a 6.22 DOS or old W9x boot diskette. This
    > rewrites the MBR and makes it all shiny and clean. Then, when you
    > install Slack, it writes lilo to the MBR, if that is your choice.
    > Slack will see the other OS (XP) and ask if you want it included in
    > lilo. You answer affirmative and it puts both OS's choices in lilo on
    > the MBR. Then, when you boot, after the BIOS hands off the system,
    > lilo will ask which OS you want to boot to. As I understand it, if
    > something goes wrong and your XP MBR gets corrupted, you can take it
    > back to the original XP MBR with the command, fixmbr. See here:
    >
    > http://articles.networktechs.com/53-p1.php
    >
    > That's the beauty of Linux. There is always more than one way to
    > accomplish anything. So, it's up to you how you want to procede. If
    > you can boot from a diskette, you've already found one way. I prefer
    > lilo on mbr, despite many nay-sayers and grub fans. This is only
    > because it has always worked for me and I'm not about to screw up a
    > good thing. Good luck on whichever new approach you decide.
    >
    > nb

  10. Re: Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    On 2007-08-01, Dorsiflector wrote:
    > So, in sum, you suggest installing LILO on the mbr?

    It's up to you. If you read the link I supplied, you will see fixmbr
    restores your XP MBR. So, what's to lose? My only issue is what do
    you use to make sure the MBR is clean enough to install lilo. Like I
    said, I would use an old DOS floppy. But, that's me. If you do the
    MBR thing, make sure you have the Windows XP Recovery Console
    installed as instructed or an XP installation disc. See:

    http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3975

    You're on your own, now. You can google this stuff just as well as I
    can.

    nb

  11. Re: Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    "Dorsiflector" (dorsiflector@att.net) writes:
    > So, in sum, you suggest installing LILO on the mbr?
    >
    > <>
    >
    > Is this gonna break XP? Microsoft can be very finicky when anything upsets
    > the boot sequence.

    But that "shiver" is the problem. Going into it, there are all kinds of
    warnings, but the reality is that the boot whatever is not the same
    thing as the actual install.

    You can have lots of partitions on a hard drive with different Linux
    distributions, and not have any loader for them. It will simply
    be like they don't exist, yet they are still intact.

    Yes, the problem is people fear that they will damage something, so
    hesitate to try things. And that hesitation keeps them fearful,
    because the unknown remains the unknown.

    Backups are made to allow people to experiment. By making things
    secure, it doesn't matter how much you mess things up, you can
    always get back to the previous state.

    lilo scared me, until I had to do something out of the ordinary,
    and had to figure out how to do it. That was just a few months
    ago, though I'd been using Linux since 2001. If I messed things
    up, I could reboot with a CDROM, and fix things. I knew that
    fiddling with lilo wouldn't affect the existing partitions, at
    the very most it would mean I couldnt' use them until I could
    boot properly.

    And I made mistakes, but in making those mistakes, I learned. I
    learned better than trying to grasp what was supposed to happen
    by the documentation, because reading the documentation still meant
    I had that hesitation over making a mistake. But in doing the
    deed, I gained confidence in the success, and that makes it far
    less mysterious.

    Michael

  12. Re: Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    Dorsiflector wrote:

    > RESPONSE: I'm nervous about installing LILO on the mbr cause I don't wanna
    > kill XP. That's why I wanted to put boot.ini in charge. Is this safe?
    > Again reference http://www.linux.com/articles/113945

    Yes, it's safe, although I always try to avoid installing LILO on the
    MBR. I've seen too often that a windows reinstall screws up LILO on the
    MBR. Therefor I prefer to install LILO on a primary Linux partition
    (or even on the extended partition if there is no primary linux
    partition) and make that partition active. If windows overwrites the MBR
    I only need to use fdisk to restore the active bit for the right
    partition.

    As your primary disk only has a single Windows partition your only
    option is to install the boot loader in the MBR.

    I never tried to boot linux with the windows boot loader, but -as I
    understood- it can be done.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  13. Re: Dual Boot? Sry 4 noob question

    Dorsiflector wrote:
    > So, in sum, you suggest installing LILO on the mbr?
    >
    > <>
    >
    > Is this gonna break XP? Microsoft can be very finicky when anything upsets
    > the boot sequence.
    >

    > "notbob" wrote in message
    > news:IoCdnaq6WaBWVzLbnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> On 2007-07-31, Dorsiflector wrote:
    >>
    >>> RESPONSE: FALSE! I can boot into Slack using the diskette!

    >> If you can boot to Slack with a diskette, what's the problem?
    >>
    >>> RESPONSE: I'm nervous about installing LILO on the mbr cause I don't
    >>> wanna
    >>> kill XP. That's why I wanted to put boot.ini in charge. Is this safe?

    Hey its your PC so you can play any way you wanna. I have used lilo, grub, or XP
    boot.ini to switch between the OS choices with no problems. The article:

    http://www.linux.com/articles/113945

    tells you all you need to know to dual boot from XP into linux with minimal
    perturbations to XP. My one box - mostly gaming - I have Dos and XP dual boot. I
    threw SLAMD64 on a spare 20GB to play with but booted from boot.ini after using
    bootpart to create the boot sector file since I didn't trust SLAMD64 at 1st.

+ Reply to Thread