Boot USB stick creation - Slackware

This is a discussion on Boot USB stick creation - Slackware ; Is there a howto explaining how to create a boot USB stick starting from an already running kernel? In a nutshell, I'd like to be able to launch my system both from the hard drive (as it happens right now) ...

  1. Boot USB stick creation

    Is there a howto explaining how to create a boot USB stick
    starting from an already running kernel? In a nutshell, I'd like to be
    able to launch my system both from the hard drive (as it happens right
    now) and from a USB stick, but using exactly the same kernel.

  2. Re: Boot USB stick creation

    K. Jennings wrote:
    > Is there a howto explaining how to create a boot USB stick
    > starting from an already running kernel? In a nutshell, I'd like to be
    > able to launch my system both from the hard drive (as it happens right
    > now) and from a USB stick, but using exactly the same kernel.

    I haven't tried but it might work: the directory /usb-and-pxe-
    installers has a 23MB usbboot image.
    Follow the README.USB.TXT. You should be able to boot your running
    system from that.
    Then you could mount the usb stick onto a temporary directory, chroot
    and mirror the same kernel
    as the one you have on the hard drive.

    I have done something like that on debian some time ago, the process
    should be similar.
    Let me know it that worked.

    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  3. Re: Boot USB stick creation

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:00:43 +0000, K. Jennings wrote:

    > Is there a howto explaining how to create a boot USB stick
    > starting from an already running kernel? In a nutshell, I'd like to be
    > able to launch my system both from the hard drive (as it happens right
    > now) and from a USB stick, but using exactly the same kernel.

    I first wrote about this a while ago here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...5fd1173b080c3a

    And I corrected a few things here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...0ebe8bbc58ad3b

    If you are running Slackware 12, be advised that the initrd format is
    using ramfs. I made some notes about that here:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...a7cd9b38d2c9a5

    I believe the above outlines can be used to understand the requirements
    for booting from USB. The fundamental principles are still valid, but
    may need some minor updating for recent Slackware releases.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

+ Reply to Thread