Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)? - Slackware ; Hi, I have an old Compaq Armada 1130, with external parallel CDROM and PCMCIA 3Com nic. I'd like to say "bye" to Win95, but I can't find floppy images to boot from. Where can I find these? Thanks....

  1. Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    Hi,

    I have an old Compaq Armada 1130, with external parallel CDROM and
    PCMCIA 3Com nic. I'd like to say "bye" to Win95, but I can't find floppy
    images to boot from. Where can I find these?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    Huub .nl

    > I have an old Compaq Armada 1130, with external parallel CDROM and
    > PCMCIA 3Com nic. I'd like to say "bye" to Win95, but I can't find
    > floppy images to boot from. Where can I find these?

    This person http://www.jlehtinen.net/linux/hw/co...ada-1130t.html
    Linux on Compaq Armada 1130T - Aug 10th 2004

    .... used boot floppies and network installation.

    The hardware he had was Pentium 120 Mhz, 1G hdd, 16MiB ram expanded to
    48 MiB (meg).

    I've installed W95 and even W98se using 98lite on such a machine for a
    lightweight graphical interface.

    DistroWatch has a section on small and floppy based distros at
    http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=links Floppy-based Linux
    distributions can give life to an old computer or serve as rescue
    systems. For an actively maintained list of floppy-based distributions,
    please visit this site.

    .... which DW section shows 23 floppy distro links including in Czech,
    Polish, German, & Portugese.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    > This person http://www.jlehtinen.net/linux/hw/co...ada-1130t.html
    > Linux on Compaq Armada 1130T - Aug 10th 2004
    >
    > ... used boot floppies and network installation.
    >
    > The hardware he had was Pentium 120 Mhz, 1G hdd, 16MiB ram expanded to
    > 48 MiB (meg).
    >
    > I've installed W95 and even W98se using 98lite on such a machine for a
    > lightweight graphical interface.

    Thank you for your answer, but that Armada site is about an old Debian
    version. As I indicated, I want to use Slackware (preferrably 12.0) and
    I still can't find floppy images of it. Meanwhile, hints from that site
    can still prove very useful.

  4. Re: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    Huub

    >> This person

    >> ... used boot floppies and network installation.
    >>
    >> The hardware he had was Pentium 120 Mhz, 1G hdd, 16MiB ram expanded
    >> to 48 MiB (meg).

    > Thank you for your answer, but that Armada site is about an old Debian
    > version.

    That site is about someone installing an Xwindow system on a *48* meg
    Armada using Deb sarge and xfce.

    > As I indicated,

    What you indicate in the subject isn't in the body of your message. The
    subject's content is not in the body nor is it a substitute. If you
    want to paste your subject into the body and make a complete sentence
    out of it to provide a context, then you should do that. When you ask a
    question, all of the essential elements should be the the message's body
    and in complete sentences. Then the subject can briefly entitle the
    body and doesn't need to be a complete sentence.

    You have also never stated how much ram this armada has, so I'm going to
    assume 16, since your W95 will run with 16.

    > I want to use Slackware (preferrably 12.0)

    Slackware 12 is released as an .iso for CDROM.

    > and I still can't find floppy images of it. Meanwhile, hints from
    > that site can still prove very useful.

    Maybe you should consider zipslack http://www.slackware.com/zipslack/

    // The hardware required to run ZipSlack does not differ that much from
    the full Slackware Linux distribution. Below is the minimum hardware you
    need in order to run ZipSlack.

    386 processor
    16 megabytes of RAM
    100 megabytes of hard disk space on a FAT or FAT32 filesystem
    //

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    No need to lecture me on writing a post or answering a post.

    In the subject I did mention 48 MB for a purpose: I upgraded from 16 MB
    to 48 MB. I know Slackware 12.0 comes in an ISO. You could simply have
    answered you either don't know about the floppies or that they aren't
    there or about ZipSlack right away.

    I'll try to find my way.

  6. Re: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    Subject: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    > Maybe you should consider zipslack

    Here's more about using a floppy based zipslack. You could get there
    from your W95.

    http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php?faq=zipslack
    How can zipslack.zip be split into floppy sized chunks? I used a "zip
    splitter" to split the zipslack.zip into floppy sized bites (from
    Simtel, filename zc300.zip), then extracted each of the 26 zips to the
    Zip.

    There's also this information at the installation faq about a network
    install http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq....q=installation
    Installation FAQ - Now that the N series doesn't fit on floppy disks,
    how do I get network support into my laptop?

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Huub

    > Subject: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    Here's someone who did it without using a CDROM or a network. He used
    Win to put the iso on the hdd in a linux partition and iso-extracted the
    files. He made his boot floppy and booted and accessed the linux files
    from the hdd partition rather than a network.

    http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/sde...ling_no_cd.htm Installing
    Slackware Without a CD Drive

    I like that idea better than trying to use your external cdrom.

    --
    Mike Easter

  8. Re: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >>> Huub

    >> Subject: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    > Here's someone who did it without using a CDROM or a network. He used
    > Win to put the iso on the hdd in a linux partition and iso-extracted the
    > files. He made his boot floppy and booted and accessed the linux files
    > from the hdd partition rather than a network.
    >
    > http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/sde...ling_no_cd.htm Installing
    > Slackware Without a CD Drive
    >
    > I like that idea better than trying to use your external cdrom.

    Thanks for the info.

  9. Re: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 19:11:13 +0200, Huub wrote:

    > Thank you for your answer, but that Armada site is about an old Debian
    > version. As I indicated, I want to use Slackware (preferrably 12.0) and I
    > still can't find floppy images of it. Meanwhile, hints from that site can
    > still prove very useful.

    That's going to be hard to do with that much RAM. Have you thought of
    version 8.1?

    It uses gcc 2.95 (I'm sure you could upgrade that) and 2.4 kernels which
    means you have a good chance of supporting all the hardware by using the
    latest 2.4 kernel.

    Main thing is GUI memory requirements would be a lot less and 48MB
    ought to work good. It shouldn't take up so much space either.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  10. Re: Slackware on old laptop (48 MB RAM)?

    In article <46ab635e$0$13511$e4fe514c@dreader17.news.xs4all.nl>,
    Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:

    > I have an old Compaq Armada 1130, with external parallel CDROM and
    > PCMCIA 3Com nic. I'd like to say "bye" to Win95, but I can't find floppy
    > images to boot from. Where can I find these?

    The last version of Slackware that came with boot floppy images was
    Slackware 11.0. You can find them on the Slackware mirrors, like here:

    http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/dis...1.0/bootdisks/

    I presume the reason is that Slackware 12.0 uses the 2.6 kernel
    exclusively and there's no way to fit that on a floppy. It's probably
    best to use a 2.4 kernel on the old machine anyway. With 48 megs of RAM
    plus some swap space, Slack 11.0 should run allright.

    Good luck,

    - Martijn

+ Reply to Thread