Re [OT] Lazy old fool - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re [OT] Lazy old fool - Slackware ; Few days ago I complained that mine trusty wvdial program refused to perform on ver 12. So I asked on group "What next?". From the possible actions two were considered. Recompile the wvdial 'horde' of programs on ver 12 base ...

  1. Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    Few days ago I complained that mine trusty wvdial program refused to
    perform on ver 12.
    So I asked on group "What next?".
    From the possible actions two were considered. Recompile the wvdial
    'horde' of programs on ver 12 base of libs or 'Oh God' learn to use
    (again) the local ppp.
    The recompiling failed miserably as the source files were all in rpm
    format from various distros and the trusty rpm2tgz (native) refused to
    touch them.
    So few days of learning resulted in 'ppp-go' which carries this letter out.
    Isn't Linux fun?

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  2. Re: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    > Few days ago I complained that mine trusty wvdial program refused to
    > perform on ver 12.
    > So I asked on group "What next?".
    > From the possible actions two were considered. Recompile the wvdial
    > 'horde' of programs on ver 12 base of libs or 'Oh God' learn to use
    > (again) the local ppp.
    > The recompiling failed miserably as the source files were all in rpm
    > format from various distros and the trusty rpm2tgz (native) refused to
    > touch them.
    > So few days of learning resulted in 'ppp-go' which carries this letter out.
    > Isn't Linux fun?

    If you don't like Linux, there's always FreeBSD.

  3. Re: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    D Herring wrote:
    > Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >> Few days ago I complained that mine trusty wvdial program refused to
    >> perform on ver 12.
    >> So I asked on group "What next?".
    >> From the possible actions two were considered. Recompile the wvdial
    >> 'horde' of programs on ver 12 base of libs or 'Oh God' learn to use
    >> (again) the local ppp.
    >> The recompiling failed miserably as the source files were all in rpm
    >> format from various distros and the trusty rpm2tgz (native) refused to
    >> touch them.
    >> So few days of learning resulted in 'ppp-go' which carries this letter
    >> out.
    >> Isn't Linux fun?

    > If you don't like Linux, there's always FreeBSD.

    I was chased into Linux from my comfortably "DOS prompt" by Windows95,
    and considered various lines of escape, the BSD'is were in sight, but
    then read the subject, it tells all.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  4. Re: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    > D Herring wrote:
    >
    >>Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >>
    >>>Few days ago I complained that mine trusty wvdial program refused to
    >>>perform on ver 12.
    >>>So I asked on group "What next?".
    >>> From the possible actions two were considered. Recompile the wvdial
    >>>'horde' of programs on ver 12 base of libs or 'Oh God' learn to use
    >>>(again) the local ppp.
    >>>The recompiling failed miserably as the source files were all in rpm
    >>>format from various distros and the trusty rpm2tgz (native) refused to
    >>>touch them.
    >>>So few days of learning resulted in 'ppp-go' which carries this letter
    >>>out.
    >>>Isn't Linux fun?

    >>If you don't like Linux, there's always FreeBSD.

    > I was chased into Linux from my comfortably "DOS prompt" by Windows95,
    > and considered various lines of escape, the BSD'is were in sight, but
    > then read the subject, it tells all.

    Then why-oh-why didn't you use Slackware's pppsetup script?

    It obviates the need to learn anything about the medieval torture
    chamber that is ppp...

  5. Re: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    Chris Sorenson wrote:
    > Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >> D Herring wrote:

    >>> If you don't like Linux, there's always FreeBSD.

    >> I was chased into Linux from my comfortably "DOS prompt" by Windows95,
    >> and considered various lines of escape, the BSD'is were in sight, but
    >> then read the subject, it tells all.
    >>

    > Then why-oh-why didn't you use Slackware's pppsetup script?
    >
    > It obviates the need to learn anything about the medieval torture
    > chamber that is ppp...

    I "why-oh-why" used it and it was _too_ arcane for me. Sitting behind
    ISDN modem connected to serial port the pppsetup things simple didn't
    work as the serial port cannot sustain the speed of connection(s).
    So in Slackware "under the hood" way, had to tell ttyS0 to slow down to
    115200 and it responded. Go figure.
    And I enjoy this kind of 'torture' when it does the work. At least
    something stays for later.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  6. Re: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > I "why-oh-why" used it and it was _too_ arcane for me. Sitting behind
    > ISDN modem connected to serial port the pppsetup things simple didn't
    > work as the serial port cannot sustain the speed of connection(s).
    > So in Slackware "under the hood" way, had to tell ttyS0 to slow down to
    > 115200 and it responded. Go figure.
    > And I enjoy this kind of 'torture' when it does the work. At least
    > something stays for later.

    Sweet! Perhaps you should take over maintainership of the ppp over isdn
    howto:

    http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HO.../PPP-over-ISDN

  7. Re: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    Chris Sorenson wrote:
    > Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >> I "why-oh-why" used it and it was _too_ arcane for me. Sitting behind
    >> ISDN modem connected to serial port the pppsetup things simple didn't
    >> work as the serial port cannot sustain the speed of connection(s).
    >> So in Slackware "under the hood" way, had to tell ttyS0 to slow down to
    >> 115200 and it responded. Go figure.
    >> And I enjoy this kind of 'torture' when it does the work. At least
    >> something stays for later.
    >>

    > Sweet! Perhaps you should take over maintainership of the ppp over isdn
    > howto:
    >
    > http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HO.../PPP-over-ISDN

    Thanks a lot! But NO!!! All my life I have been technical person and in
    _every_ project the worst part was writing users manuals and related
    buerocratic stuff. To start thinking as someone who is "proper idiot"
    on related matter was never easy, especially as the technical problems
    were 'solved'.
    As you seem to be on speaking terms with 'ppp' tell me a little secret,
    how can I induce ppp to redial the ISP when the connection gets stopped
    from the server ( I am on 4 hours portions) and the trusty 'wvdial' was
    reconnecting in 5 seconds when the line dropped, inconvenient but working.

    TIA

    Stanislaw

  8. Re: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > As you seem to be on speaking terms with 'ppp' tell me a little secret,
    > how can I induce ppp to redial the ISP when the connection gets stopped
    > from the server ( I am on 4 hours portions) and the trusty 'wvdial' was
    > reconnecting in 5 seconds when the line dropped, inconvenient but working.

    Would not the easiest way be to put 'demand' into your ppp options file?

  9. Re: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    Chris Sorenson wrote:
    > Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >> As you seem to be on speaking terms with 'ppp' tell me a little secret,
    >> how can I induce ppp to redial the ISP when the connection gets stopped
    >> from the server ( I am on 4 hours portions) and the trusty 'wvdial' was
    >> reconnecting in 5 seconds when the line dropped, inconvenient but working.
    >>

    > Would not the easiest way be to put 'demand' into your ppp options file?

    "Why-oh-why" do I take notice of what I read. On query, googgle
    responded with 6 digit number of suggestions, and most of them related
    to a variant of hardware. One was "Linux HOWTO" which gave me some hope.
    Will report when I know what happens.

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw.

  10. Re: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    > Few days ago I complained that mine trusty wvdial program refused to
    > perform on ver 12.
    > So I asked on group "What next?".
    > From the possible actions two were considered. Recompile the wvdial
    > 'horde' of programs on ver 12 base of libs or 'Oh God' learn to use
    > (again) the local ppp.
    > The recompiling failed miserably as the source files were all in rpm
    > format from various distros and the trusty rpm2tgz (native) refused to
    > touch them.

    I've built new wvstreams and wvdial packages that appear to work with
    slack 12.0. Let me know if you want me to email you copies.

    Peter

  11. Religious: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    > Few days ago I complained that mine trusty wvdial program refused to
    > perform on ver 12.
    > So I asked on group "What next?".
    > From the possible actions two were considered. Recompile the wvdial
    > 'horde' of programs on ver 12 base of libs or 'Oh God' learn to use
    > (again) the local ppp.
    > The recompiling failed miserably as the source files were all in rpm
    > format from various distros and the trusty rpm2tgz (native) refused to
    > touch them.
    > So few days of learning resulted in 'ppp-go' which carries this letter out.
    > Isn't Linux fun?
    >
    > Have fun
    >
    > Stanislaw
    > Slack user from Ulladulla.

    Took some time, and few 'hearty' words in few languages, but there is
    hope. Trying to convince the hardware to dance to my music I made and
    repeated stupid mistakes till one of us gave up. So now I convinced the
    ISDN modem to respond to usb connection, something that was NOT working
    previously, and relaxed I will try to understand how to talk to the
    'chat' script so it _will_ reconnect when the session is terminated from
    ISP side.

    "We always learn." a Hassidic proverb.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  12. Re: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    Peter wrote:
    > Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >> Few days ago I complained that mine trusty wvdial program refused to
    >> perform on ver 12.
    >> So I asked on group "What next?".
    >> From the possible actions two were considered. Recompile the wvdial
    >> 'horde' of programs on ver 12 base of libs or 'Oh God' learn to use
    >> (again) the local ppp.
    >> The recompiling failed miserably as the source files were all in rpm
    >> format from various distros and the trusty rpm2tgz (native) refused to
    >> touch them.

    > I've built new wvstreams and wvdial packages that appear to work with
    > slack 12.0. Let me know if you want me to email you copies.
    >
    > Peter

    Thats _good_ news.
    a) where did you get the sources? my search pointed me in rpm directions
    which was a dead end.
    b) do you have .tgz's for d/l, where? I simple got used to years of
    using wvdial with its pecularities and I like it.
    c) few days of ppp mangling gives me hope that I may learn something and
    NOT be slave to one option.

    Pse, respond.

    Stanislaw.

  13. Re: Religious: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    On 2007-08-01, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    [...]

    > Stanislaw
    > Slack user from Ulladulla.

    I have driven through Ulladulla many times (on the way to Bawley
    Point) so I think I am safe in assuming that you are the _only_
    slack user in Ulladulla :-)

    Andrew

    --
    "The band! the speckled band!" whispered Holmes.

  14. Re: Religious: Re [OT] Lazy old fool

    andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-08-01, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> Stanislaw
    >> Slack user from Ulladulla.

    > I have driven through Ulladulla many times (on the way to Bawley
    > Point) so I think I am safe in assuming that you are the _only_
    > slack user in Ulladulla :-)
    >
    > Andrew

    And walking around in life jacket in the horde of Vista and XP fanatics
    all around.

    Stanislaw.

+ Reply to Thread