Roy Schestowitz writes:

----[ Quote ]
> There is a distinct sub-culture in the Unix-type operating universe
> made up of gnarly old geekbeards who were raised up in the
> green-screen command-prompt era. They think X Window is for
> amateurs and any executable over 100K is bloatware. These are
> the wizened gurus who can touch-type 100 words per minute,
> remember every option for hundreds of commands, and who take
> pride at keeping antique hardware in service.

----

Worse though, than the "gnarly old geekbeards", (some of whom claim
to have killed polar bears with a bb gun) are young trash like
Hicks, Keller, Faux_Pseudo, Phat Phuck, +cibaholes+ and other
younger trash, who somehow think that having your head shoved way,
way, up your ass, ala the Floyd Davidsons of the world, is somehow a
desirable way of life.

The notion of "bloat" on a modern computer is ridiculous. Hardware
advances used to constrain software but it's now the other way
around. Software is rapidly trying to catchup to the hardware and
there is no effective or noticeable difference in speed between a
fully tricked out KDE or Vista so-called "bloatware" system and the
skimpiest of window managers. The lunatics who sit around with top
and df and try to coax every bit of ram or hard drive space out of
their linux systems (slackware, of course) should be taken out and
shot and left to rot where they lie. Those who insist on using only
CLI programs on a machine with 2 gigs of ram and 250 gigs of hard
drive are the enemies of linux and are responsible for the linux
reputation as silly, old fashioned geek machine.

The whole idea behind having lots of ram and lots of HD space is
that the OS can make computing much, much easier. If the linux
kernel is unable to take advantage of the cheap hardware in order to
make computing easier, then it is not worth the time or the effort
and might just as well die right now. And we see little evidence
that the relatively ancient unix/linux model of doing things is up
to the challengeis that the new hardware lays down.

cordially, as always,

rm