No control-alt-Fn exit from X - Slackware

This is a discussion on No control-alt-Fn exit from X - Slackware ; After updating to Slack 12 I have no exit from X to a console with the Control-Alt-Fn key combination. I can shutdown X with conrol-alt-backspace. I remember seeing other people having problems with the key combination, but I can't find ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    After updating to Slack 12 I have no exit from X to
    a console with the Control-Alt-Fn key combination.
    I can shutdown X with conrol-alt-backspace.

    I remember seeing other people having problems with
    the key combination, but I can't find the old
    threads with a google search.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    TIA

  2. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, root wrote:

    > After updating to Slack 12 I have no exit from X to
    > a console with the Control-Alt-Fn key combination.
    > I can shutdown X with conrol-alt-backspace.

    Check the option "DontVTSwitch" is disabled in your X11
    config. Also if you are in runlevel 4 only VT 6 will
    be enabled.

    Tom

  3. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    On 2007-07-26, root wrote:
    > After updating to Slack 12 I have no exit from X to
    > a console with the Control-Alt-Fn key combination.

    As Tom asks, are you starting in runlevel 3. If so, it should work. I'm
    running a vanilla install of 12, with tty's, vt's, and Fn keys all working
    as usual with the left side Ctrl-Alt. Also, as usual, the right side
    Ctrl-Alt keys are squirrely-to-useless for terminal switching. Are you
    using a USB keyboard? My keyboard is on ancient iron w/ PS2 interface.

    nb

  4. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    Tom Canich wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, root wrote:
    >
    >> After updating to Slack 12 I have no exit from X to
    >> a console with the Control-Alt-Fn key combination.
    >> I can shutdown X with conrol-alt-backspace.

    > Check the option "DontVTSwitch" is disabled in your X11
    > config. Also if you are in runlevel 4 only VT 6 will
    > be enabled.
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks for responding. My xorg.conf does not have the
    DontVTSwitch option.

    I start in runlevel 3 and use startx to run x when
    I have to.

  5. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2007-07-26, root wrote:
    >> After updating to Slack 12 I have no exit from X to
    >> a console with the Control-Alt-Fn key combination.

    > As Tom asks, are you starting in runlevel 3. If so, it should work. I'm
    > running a vanilla install of 12, with tty's, vt's, and Fn keys all working
    > as usual with the left side Ctrl-Alt. Also, as usual, the right side
    > Ctrl-Alt keys are squirrely-to-useless for terminal switching. Are you
    > using a USB keyboard? My keyboard is on ancient iron w/ PS2 interface.
    >
    > nb

    Thanks for responding. I have a vanilla IBM ps/2 keyboard. My system
    is an upgrade from Slack 11. I got my xorg.conf by running xorgsetup.
    I always start in level 3, and seldom go to X. My window manager
    is the ancient fvwm95.

  6. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    root wrote:
    > After updating to Slack 12 I have no exit from X to
    > a console with the Control-Alt-Fn key combination.
    > I can shutdown X with conrol-alt-backspace.
    >
    > I remember seeing other people having problems with
    > the key combination, but I can't find the old
    > threads with a google search.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > TIA

    Lucky one, the exit to Fn consoles works OK but "cntlaltbksp" instead of
    shutting X-session powers down the whole caboodle.

    Something new everyday, isn't life exciting?

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  7. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, root wrote:

    > Thanks for responding. My xorg.conf does not have the
    > DontVTSwitch option.
    >
    > I start in runlevel 3 and use startx to run x when
    > I have to.

    Does terminal switching work when you aren't running X?

    When running X, what happens if you run

    sudo /usr/bin/chvt 2

    in a terminal?

    Tom

  8. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > Lucky one, the exit to Fn consoles works OK but "cntlaltbksp" instead of
    > shutting X-session powers down the whole caboodle.

    Hi Stanislaw,

    Is your keyboard sending a "del" instead of "bksp"? Try commenting out
    line 36 (at least in slack 12) from your /etc/inittab:

    ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t5 -r now

    and see if the system continues to power down when you press these keys.
    You'll need to tell init to reread the inittab file after changing it.
    Reboot, "telinit q" or "kill -1 1".

    > Something new everyday, isn't life exciting?

    It certainly is

    Tom

  9. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    Tom Canich says:

    >On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, root wrote:

    >> Thanks for responding. My xorg.conf does not have the
    >> DontVTSwitch option.
    >>
    >> I start in runlevel 3 and use startx to run x when
    >> I have to.

    >Does terminal switching work when you aren't running X?

    >When running X, what happens if you run

    > sudo /usr/bin/chvt 2

    > in a terminal?

    We give up. What does it do?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  10. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    Tom Canich wrote:

    > On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, root wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for responding. My xorg.conf does not have the
    >> DontVTSwitch option.
    >>
    >> I start in runlevel 3 and use startx to run x when
    >> I have to.

    > Does terminal switching work when you aren't running X?

    Sure, that works fine, as always.

    > When running X, what happens if you run
    >
    > sudo /usr/bin/chvt 2
    >
    > in a terminal?
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks Tom, that does work. However it seems that when X
    was idling it was sending a stream of line feeds to the
    console window.

  11. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    On 2007-07-28, root wrote:
    > Tom Canich wrote:
    >>

    >> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, root wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for responding. My xorg.conf does not have the
    >>> DontVTSwitch option.
    >>>
    >>> I start in runlevel 3 and use startx to run x when
    >>> I have to.

    >> Does terminal switching work when you aren't running X?

    > Sure, that works fine, as always.
    >

    >> When running X, what happens if you run
    >>
    >> sudo /usr/bin/chvt 2
    >>
    >> in a terminal?
    >>
    >> Tom

    > Thanks Tom, that does work. However it seems that when X
    > was idling it was sending a stream of line feeds to the
    > console window.

    I had seen similar things a number of times and it took me a while to
    figure out where they were coming from. Or, maybe I should say, it
    took me a while to formulate a hypothesis. Here it is, for what it's
    worth.

    If the startx switches to another virtual console before the key is
    released, as far as the VC is concerned you are holding it down.
    So you get auto-repeat characters.

    If, however, you type
    sleep 1; startx
    and get your fingers off the keys within 1 second, you probably won't
    see this behaviour. (Since I figured this out, it ha worked for me,
    although I was usually starting a second X session from within the
    first one.)

    Cheers.
    Jim

  12. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    Jim Diamond wrote:
    > On 2007-07-28, root wrote:
    >> Tom Canich wrote:

    >>> Does terminal switching work when you aren't running X?

    >> Sure, that works fine, as always.
    >>

    >>> When running X, what happens if you run
    >>>
    >>> sudo /usr/bin/chvt 2
    >>>
    >>> in a terminal?
    >>>
    >>> Tom

    >> Thanks Tom, that does work. However it seems that when X
    >> was idling it was sending a stream of line feeds to the
    >> console window.

    > I had seen similar things a number of times and it took me a while to
    > figure out where they were coming from. Or, maybe I should say, it
    > took me a while to formulate a hypothesis. Here it is, for what it's
    > worth.
    >
    > If the startx switches to another virtual console before the key is
    > released, as far as the VC is concerned you are holding it down.
    > So you get auto-repeat characters.
    >
    > If, however, you type
    > sleep 1; startx
    > and get your fingers off the keys within 1 second, you probably won't
    > see this behaviour. (Since I figured this out, it ha worked for me,
    > although I was usually starting a second X session from within the
    > first one.)
    >
    > Cheers.
    > Jim

    Sounded good, so I tried it. No change: the idle X terminal seems
    to be getting a stream of lfs when I am in the ordinary console.
    It seems unclean.

  13. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, root wrote:

    > Thanks Tom, that does work. However it seems that when X
    > was idling it was sending a stream of line feeds to the
    > console window.

    I also see the line feeds when running chvt, in the terminal where
    I executed chvt.

    Do you have any custom keybindings in your .fvwmrc?

    Tom

  14. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    On 2007-07-28, root wrote:
    > Jim Diamond wrote:

    >>> Sure, that works fine, as always.

    >>> Thanks Tom, that does work. However it seems that when X
    >>> was idling it was sending a stream of line feeds to the
    >>> console window.

    >> I had seen similar things a number of times and it took me a while to
    >> figure out where they were coming from. Or, maybe I should say, it
    >> took me a while to formulate a hypothesis. Here it is, for what it's
    >> worth.
    >>
    >> If the startx switches to another virtual console before the key is
    >> released, as far as the VC is concerned you are holding it down.
    >> So you get auto-repeat characters.
    >>
    >> If, however, you type
    >> sleep 1; startx
    >> and get your fingers off the keys within 1 second, you probably won't
    >> see this behaviour. (Since I figured this out, it ha worked for me,
    >> although I was usually starting a second X session from within the
    >> first one.)

    > Sounded good, so I tried it. No change: the idle X terminal seems
    > to be getting a stream of lfs when I am in the ordinary console.
    > It seems unclean.

    Mea culpa. I did not read your message carefully enough. Just for
    amusement, when you are in X and do the "sudo chvt 2", assuming that
    you have used sudo recently enough so that it doesn't want a password,
    try
    sleep 1; sudo chvt 2
    and let me know what happens.

    Cheers.
    Jim

  15. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Jim Diamond wrote:

    > Mea culpa. I did not read your message carefully enough. Just for
    > amusement, when you are in X and do the "sudo chvt 2", assuming that
    > you have used sudo recently enough so that it doesn't want a password,
    > try
    > sleep 1; sudo chvt 2
    > and let me know what happens.

    Hi Jim,

    That works for me, no linefeeds when sudo has my password cached. If I
    have to enter a password for sudo, I still see the line feeds.

    Thanks,

    Tom

  16. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    On 2007-07-28, Tom Canich wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Jim Diamond wrote:
    >
    >> Mea culpa. I did not read your message carefully enough. Just for
    >> amusement, when you are in X and do the "sudo chvt 2", assuming that
    >> you have used sudo recently enough so that it doesn't want a password,
    >> try
    >> sleep 1; sudo chvt 2
    >> and let me know what happens.

    > Hi Jim,

    > That works for me,

    Good, another confirming instance for the hypothesis.

    > no linefeeds when sudo has my password cached. If I have to enter a
    > password for sudo, I still see the line feeds.

    In that case, you could always do something like creating your own
    program that calls chvt with its own sleep:

    --------------------- ~/bin/my-chvt -------------------
    #! /bin/sh

    sleep 1

    chvt "$@"

    and then
    sudo my-chvt 2

    But maybe you already thought of that.

    Jim

  17. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Jim Diamond wrote:

    > In that case, you could always do something like creating your own
    > program that calls chvt with its own sleep:

    Thanks, but ctrl + alt + Fn works for me I originally brought
    chvt up to explore "root's" problem with switching from X to a
    virtual terminal.

    Tom

  18. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    Jim Diamond wrote:
    > Mea culpa. I did not read your message carefully enough. Just for
    > amusement, when you are in X and do the "sudo chvt 2", assuming that
    > you have used sudo recently enough so that it doesn't want a password,
    > try
    > sleep 1; sudo chvt 2
    > and let me know what happens.
    >
    > Cheers.
    > Jim

    That works. I can just make an alias for chvt. Thanks

  19. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    Tom Canich wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, root wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Tom, that does work. However it seems that when X
    >> was idling it was sending a stream of line feeds to the
    >> console window.

    > I also see the line feeds when running chvt, in the terminal where
    > I executed chvt.
    >
    > Do you have any custom keybindings in your .fvwmrc?
    >
    > Tom

    Yes I do, but they only relate to cursor motion keys not
    supported by X.

  20. Re: No control-alt-Fn exit from X

    root wrote:
    > After updating to Slack 12 I have no exit from X to
    > a console with the Control-Alt-Fn key combination.
    > I can shutdown X with conrol-alt-backspace.
    >
    > I remember seeing other people having problems with
    > the key combination, but I can't find the old
    > threads with a google search.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > TIA

    I'm experiencing this same error on Slankware 12
    (and also on debian 4.0 "Etch") when I try to
    use a "US - international" keyboard layout
    without deadkeys.

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
    EndSection.

    The Control-Alt-Fn keys function correctly with:

    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option "XkbVariant" "intl"

    or just:

    Option "XkbLayout" "us"

    It looks like the us-international keyboard
    isn't supported anymore with a nodeadkeys variant.
    The nodeadkeys variant is still available in other
    layouts. The Control-Alt-Fn function correctly
    for instance with a German keyboard layout:

    Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    Option "XkbVariant" "intl"

    Regards,

    Kees.