A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape - Slackware

This is a discussion on A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape - Slackware ; Hello everyone, We've developed a new search feature for the Netscape browser. You can see a short demo of us using this on Google here: http://www.visual-search.net/VideoDe...peWebDemo.html You can download the extension on this page: http://www.visual-search.net or on the Firefox addons ...

  1. A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    Hello everyone,

    We've developed a new search feature for the Netscape browser. You can
    see a short demo of us using this on Google here:
    http://www.visual-search.net/VideoDe...peWebDemo.html

    You can download the extension on this page:
    http://www.visual-search.net

    or on the Firefox addons page (they work for Netscape as well):

    I hope everyone in the Netscape community likes this as much as we do!

  2. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    Beaker wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > We've developed a new search feature for the Netscape browser. You can
    > see a short demo of us using this on Google here:
    > http://www.visual-search.net/VideoDe...peWebDemo.html
    >
    > You can download the extension on this page:
    > http://www.visual-search.net
    >
    > or on the Firefox addons page (they work for Netscape as well):
    >
    > I hope everyone in the Netscape community likes this as much as we do!

    But you have to convince me that you are not putting a trojan horse in
    your extension and pull my data when you want.

    Sorry, just a bit paranoid.

    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  3. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others withNetscape

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:32:43 -0700, Beaker wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > We've developed a new search feature for the Netscape browser. You can
    > see a short demo of us using this on Google here:
    > http://www.visual-search.net/VideoDe...peWebDemo.html

    Mmm, that URL leads to a flash doodah, very bad point.

    Anyway, I DL'd it and made it a clean movie without the borgs
    then I could watch it and make my own advice about it :-)

    So, the demo shows somebody trying to use Windows to access the
    Web in order to look after a 'star' that wouldn't be the pinky
    matchstick recently pinned everywhere and released by sheer
    misadventure.

    I seem to fail the point in "your" 'search feature',
    if that's for people using the keyboard it won't work as
    it is much more an hassle on the wrist to add up some
    mouse moves, especially stupid while the '+' and '-'
    ponderations are immediate on keyb and a rifle game with
    a mouse.
    If that's for 'keyboard handicapped people' that'd be a miss
    again for quite the same reasons, this is an advice based on
    only some of the possible handicaps I happen to know, I
    believe some other people could add up some knowledge on this
    topic as I don't yet have met every possible problem, though the
    probable user percentage is now quite short.

    Well, lets now count it over again:

    - usage of 'flash' for a video: -3 points
    - usage of Windows for base: -3 pts
    - use of fluffy coloured unreadable
    sprites instead of plain chars -2 pts
    - having kept the "Luna" desktop on
    the demo windows install -2 pts
    - for trying to help the disabled +5 pts
    - for not asking them howto -5 pts

    Ah, that's not so good a score...
    And I guess you're lucky now's mostly a vacation season )

  4. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    Responding to loki harfagr...

    > - for trying to help the disabled +5 pts
    > - for not asking them howto -5 pts

    Actual points in real world:

    - Trying to help = +05 (Max possible score)
    - Not asking = -20 (And can get lower)

    Just to get things closer to reality.

    Then there is the classic "Listen, we spent months getting this to
    work, so you'd better damn well appreciate it!" thing.

    Those "We like the disabled!" super-smiles tend to crack after a few
    minutes reading why their lovely "I'm gonna get rich AND be a hero!"
    project is actually a pile of junk and people with real problems have
    other things to do with their time than bug test some wannabe rich
    kid's basement workshop output.

    Or am I just being cynical?

    --
    Yellow Submarine?
    Nah. Its a TeaPot!

  5. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:32:43 -0700, Beaker wrote:

    > We've developed a new search feature for the Netscape browser.

    What's Netscape?

  6. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    On Jul 25, 11:06 am, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > Beaker wrote:
    > > Hello everyone,

    > > We've developed a new search feature for the Netscape browser. You can
    > > see a short demo of us using this on Google here:
    > >http://www.visual-search.net/VideoDe...peWebDemo/Nets...

    > > You can download the extension on this page:
    > >http://www.visual-search.net

    > > or on the Firefox addons page (they work for Netscape as well):
    > >https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5309

    > > I hope everyone in the Netscape community likes this as much as we do!

    > But you have to convince me that you are not putting a trojan horse in
    > your extension and pull my data when you want.
    >
    > Sorry, just a bit paranoid.
    >
    > Ottaviohttp://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

    Firefox extensions are thoroughly reviewed by expert Firefox
    developers for all kinds of things including sneaky stuff that people
    definitely don't want on their computers. Of course an xpi file is
    just a zip file you could open up and read all the javascript for
    yourself, if you don't trust the Firefox reviewers.

  7. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    On Jul 25, 4:58 pm, Mike wrote:
    > Responding to loki harfagr...
    >
    > > - for trying to help the disabled +5 pts
    > > - for not asking them howto -5 pts

    > Actual points in real world:
    >
    > - Trying to help = +05 (Max possible score)
    > - Not asking = -20 (And can get lower)
    >
    > Just to get things closer to reality.
    >
    > Then there is the classic "Listen, we spent months getting this to
    > work, so you'd better damn well appreciate it!" thing.
    >
    > Those "We like the disabled!" super-smiles tend to crack after a few
    > minutes reading why their lovely "I'm gonna get rich AND be a hero!"
    > project is actually a pile of junk and people with real problems have
    > other things to do with their time than bug test some wannabe rich
    > kid's basement workshop output.
    >
    > Or am I just being cynical?
    >
    > --
    > Yellow Submarine?
    > Nah. Its a TeaPot!www.tinyurl.com/382gmp

    Again, where are we coming to the conclusion that this was designed
    just for the disabled? This first version was designed for the
    population in general, with the intent of making various versions for
    different kinds of users in the future based on all this constructive
    feedback.

  8. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:04:53 -0700, Beaker wrote:

    >> Or am I just being cynical?

    > Again, where are we coming to the conclusion that this was designed
    > just for the disabled? This first version was designed for the
    > population in general, with the intent of making various versions for
    > different kinds of users in the future based on all this constructive
    > feedback.

    Bugger off, Win-droid. Keep your bull**** spam to yourself, and go bother
    the other drooling windoze users that might care about this crap.

    This is the Slackware Linux newsgroup, and we don't give a **** about your
    anti-vista crap, either. Just **** right off and leave.

  9. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    Beaker wrote:

    >Firefox extensions are thoroughly reviewed by expert Firefox
    >developers for all kinds of things including sneaky stuff that people
    >definitely don't want on their computers.

    Correction: Firefox extensions *that you download from the Mozilla
    website* are thoroughly reviewed by expert Firefox developers.
    Firefox extensions that you find elsewhere or which are emailed
    to you (even if the email claims to be from Mozilla) are less
    safe.

  10. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    On Jul 25, 9:38 pm, Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:04:53 -0700, Beaker wrote:
    > >> Or am I just being cynical?

    > > Again, where are we coming to the conclusion that this was designed
    > > just for the disabled? This first version was designed for the
    > > population in general, with the intent of making various versions for
    > > different kinds of users in the future based on all this constructive
    > > feedback.

    > Bugger off, Win-droid. Keep your bull**** spam to yourself, and go bother
    > the other drooling windoze users that might care about this crap.
    >
    > This is the Slackware Linux newsgroup, and we don't give a **** about your
    > anti-vista crap, either. Just **** right off and leave.
    >
    > --
    > "Bother!" said Pooh, as Christopher Robin pleaded to be spanked again.

    You really shouldn't smoke crack and then post on forums.

  11. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    I don't do either, dip****.

    **** off, you drooling Win-droid.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he poured grease onto the road.

  12. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others withNetscape

    On 2007-07-27, Dan C wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:54:27 -0700, Beaker wrote:
    >
    >> You really shouldn't smoke crack and then post on forums.

    > I don't do either, dip****.

    Hmmm...

    1. You don't smoke crack = believable
    2. You don't post on forums = obviously untrue

    Are you confusing AND / OR ?

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

  13. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    Beaker wrote:

    > You really shouldn't smoke crack and then post on forums.

    Do you not know the difference between a forum and a newsgroup?
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  14. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 04:30:12 +0000, andrew wrote:

    >>> You really shouldn't smoke crack and then post on forums.

    >> I don't do either, dip****.

    > 1. You don't smoke crack = believable
    > 2. You don't post on forums = obviously untrue

    Wrong. The OP used the term "forum" as in "web-forum" or "chat-board".
    This is Usenet and is NOT the same thing in that context.

    > Are you confusing AND / OR ?

    I'm not confused about anything...

  15. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others withNetscape

    On 2007-07-27, Dan C wrote:

    >>> I don't do either, dip****.

    >> 1. You don't smoke crack = believable
    >> 2. You don't post on forums = obviously untrue

    > Wrong. The OP used the term "forum" as in "web-forum" or "chat-board".
    > This is Usenet and is NOT the same thing in that context.
    >
    >> Are you confusing AND / OR ?

    > I'm not confused about anything...

    Doh!! That's what I get for not reading the whole thread!

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

  16. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with Netscape

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:50:58 +0000, andrew wrote:

    >> I'm not confused about anything...

    > Doh!! That's what I get for not reading the whole thread!

    Apology accepted.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Tigger hogged the bong.

  17. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:54:27 -0700, Beaker wrote:
    >
    > > You really shouldn't smoke crack and then post on forums.

    > I don't do either, dip****.

    You're the way you are without a drug habit?

    That's actually a bit sad. Depressing as hell when you start wondering
    about what sort of cumbubbling sluts crotch they yanked you out of.

    > **** off, you drooling Win-droid.

  18. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:04:53 -0700, Beaker wrote:
    >
    > >> Or am I just being cynical?

    > > Again, where are we coming to the conclusion that this was designed
    > > just for the disabled? This first version was designed for the
    > > population in general, with the intent of making various versions
    > > for different kinds of users in the future based on all this
    > > constructive feedback.

    > Bugger off, Win-droid. Keep your bull**** spam to yourself, and go
    > bother the other drooling windoze users that might care about this
    > crap.

    This, froma Slackerware propellerhead.

    Almost funny. Nearly "wit".

    > This is the Slackware Linux newsgroup, and we don't give a **** about
    > your anti-vista crap, either. Just **** right off and leave.

  19. Re: A cool new way to search Google, Yahoo, and many others with

    Dan C wrote:

    > >> I don't do either, dip****.

    > > 1. You don't smoke crack = believable
    > > 2. You don't post on forums = obviously untrue

    > Wrong. The OP used the term "forum" as in "web-forum" or

    Where?

    > "chat-board". This is Usenet and is NOT the same thing in that
    > context.
    > > Are you confusing AND / OR ?

    > I'm not confused about anything...

+ Reply to Thread