Slack 11 + ncr53c875 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack 11 + ncr53c875 - Slackware ; Hi, I'm trying to install Slack 11 on an old Compaq Proliant 2500 with a ncr53c875 SCSI controller. On old forums I read that Linux+SCSI is a nightmare, but has this changed since then? Booting with the scsi2.s dmesg reports ...

  1. Slack 11 + ncr53c875

    Hi,

    I'm trying to install Slack 11 on an old Compaq Proliant 2500 with a
    ncr53c875 SCSI controller. On old forums I read that Linux+SCSI is a
    nightmare, but has this changed since then? Booting with the scsi2.s
    dmesg reports the controller, but so far I can't figure out which
    /dev/s.. I should use. If it can be installed, which /dev/ should I take
    to fdisk? Or is there any additional action I should take?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Slack 11 + ncr53c875

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:09:56 +0200, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl">
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm trying to install Slack 11 on an old Compaq Proliant 2500 with a
    >ncr53c875 SCSI controller. On old forums I read that Linux+SCSI is a
    >nightmare, but has this changed since then? Booting with the scsi2.s
    >dmesg reports the controller, but so far I can't figure out which
    >/dev/s.. I should use. If it can be installed, which /dev/ should I take
    >to fdisk? Or is there any additional action I should take?
    >
    >Thanks.

    I would suspect it should be /dev/sda. What does "dmesg | grep sd" (no
    quotes) report?

    Scott McMillan

  3. Re: Slack 11 + ncr53c875

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:09:56 +0200
    Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to install Slack 11 on an old Compaq Proliant 2500
    > with a ncr53c875 SCSI controller. On old forums I read that
    > Linux+SCSI is a

    First just cat /proc/scsi/scsi and see what you have plugged.

    Then, get and run something like 'scsi_info /dev/sd[a-f]'
    depending on the device # listed above.

    Usually, /dev/sda will be the id you pass to fdisk for your
    first scsi platter, assumming you dont have other types of scsi
    devices.

    TonyB

    There are 10 types of people in this world, those that read
    binary and those who don't!

    --
    __ __ _ I N C. http://www.sysdev.org
    / __|\\// __|| \ __ __ / tonyb@sysdev.org

  4. Re: Slack 11 + ncr53c875

    Huub wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to install Slack 11 on an old Compaq Proliant 2500 with a
    > ncr53c875 SCSI controller. On old forums I read that Linux+SCSI is a
    > nightmare, but has this changed since then? Booting with the scsi2.s
    > dmesg reports the controller, but so far I can't figure out which
    > /dev/s.. I should use. If it can be installed, which /dev/ should I take
    > to fdisk? Or is there any additional action I should take?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try booting scsi.s, never had a problem with that.

    fdisk -l shows you what drives are available, use /dev/sda.

    Michel.

+ Reply to Thread