Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer - Slackware

This is a discussion on Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer - Slackware ; Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 (Perl 5.008) Archive-name: aolsfaq Current-maintainer: aolsfaq-maintainer@therockgarden.ca Last-change: 2006/07/11 This is a periodic pointer to the FAQ for the alt.os.linux.slackware newsgroup. The FAQ which may be frequently referred to in messages posted to the newsgroup may be found ...

  1. Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer

    Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 (Perl 5.008)
    Archive-name: aolsfaq
    Current-maintainer: aolsfaq-maintainer@therockgarden.ca

    Last-change: 2006/07/11

    This is a periodic pointer to the FAQ for the alt.os.linux.slackware
    newsgroup. The FAQ which may be frequently referred to in messages
    posted to the newsgroup may be found in its original text form at

    http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt

    There is also an HTML-rendered copy at

    http://l0k1.free.fr/aolsfaq.html

  2. Re: Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:03:02 +0000, Periodic FAQ Pointer wrote:

    > Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 (Perl 5.008)
    > Archive-name: aolsfaq
    > Current-maintainer: aolsfaq-maintainer@therockgarden.ca
    >

    > Last-change: 2006/07/11

    No new FAQ's in over a year...?

    I would have thought that Slack 12.0/HAL/dbus would have accounted for a
    few...

  3. Re: Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer

    Dan C wrote:

    > I would have thought that Slack 12.0/HAL/dbus would have accounted for
    > a few...

    Two points, a) someone has to decide which are the Frequently Asked
    questions on 12.0/HAL/dbus, in the example that you give, which means
    that someone has to analyze the 12.0/HAL/dbus related questions, and
    answers in this newsgroup from the point that 12.0 became available;
    and, b), they then have to sort out the answers that work for most
    people, on most hardware.

    If I remember correctly it took several months for the last set of
    FAQ's to be updated when Sylvian took over the job from Keith, and that
    process engendered a certain level of criticism.

    Lots of people find the material in the FAQ handy from time to time, but
    its finding someone willing to compile it thats the problem.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  4. Re: Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer

    On 2007-07-24, Two Ravens wrote:

    > If I remember correctly it took several months for the last set of
    > FAQ's to be updated when Sylvian took over the job from Keith, and that
    > process engendered a certain level of criticism.

    Well, there was a lot of cruft to eliminate in that round. For HAL, I'm
    guessing there could be one or two entries. But, as you say, someone
    needs to write them.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  5. Re: Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > Well, there was a lot of cruft to eliminate in that round. *For HAL,
    > I'm guessing there could be one or two entries. *But, as you say,
    > someone needs to write them.

    I for one will be grateful when someone does!
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  6. Re: Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 05:18:18 +0100, Two Ravens wrote:

    >> Well, there was a lot of cruft to eliminate in that round. *For HAL,
    >> I'm guessing there could be one or two entries. *But, as you say,
    >> someone needs to write them.

    > I for one will be grateful when someone does!

    There was a thread in here, OP was Robby Workman, which should serve as a
    good starting point for at least one entry on HAL tweaks:

    Message ID:

    Perhaps the maintainer (Sylvain?) could pretty much cut-n-paste that into
    the FAQ...

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Christopher Robin stuck his finger in the honeypot.

  7. Re: Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer

    Dan C wrote:

    > There was a thread in here, OP was Robby Workman, which should serve
    > as a good starting point for at least one entry on HAL tweaks:

    Thank you, yes, I did read it, but I'll have to admit to not
    understanding what
    HAL is or does yet. Why is the /dev/cdrom entry in fstab commented
    out? Will the previous edits of fstab adding /dev/dvd to /mnt work?
    These are rhetorical questions, I'll find out. Its just that having
    been used to things the way they were with 2.2.X and 2.4.X kernels,
    using hdc=ide-scsi, and fstab being the way it was since 7,
    I've always used something similar to the "how to mount devices
    as a regular user" article in "Userlocal", now we get a new kernel
    and HAL. I'm obviously too old and set in my ways, but I'll
    catch up eventually.

    At the moment as I get a 'security' message having uncommented the CD
    entry in fstab and still being unable to get my computer to read the
    CD's I made while awaiting the delivery of my Subscription DVD to
    Europe, I can't install the KDE library 'kdeedulibs' which for some
    reason the installation process didn't like, but as I said I'll get
    there if I re-read enough.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  8. Re: Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer

    Two Ravens wrote:

    > ...but as I said I'll get there if I re-read enough.

    I think I've got most of it now thanks to Robby Workman, I managed to
    get set up with the CD commented out. Got it to read the CD as a user,
    and even got the DVD to run, assembled a jigdo from a cover disk DVD
    and got the CD burner to burn a CD without resort to hdc=ide-scsi.

    One strange point having got the CD reader to read the missing library
    that for some reason it would not install, I then used pkgtool to
    install it on root, thinking it would install system wide, but I had to
    su on each user and then install it individually again for each one.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  9. Re: Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:03:02 +0000, Periodic FAQ Pointer wrote:
    >
    > > Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 (Perl 5.008)
    > > Archive-name: aolsfaq
    > > Current-maintainer: aolsfaq-maintainer@therockgarden.ca
    > >

    > > Last-change: 2006/07/11

    > No new FAQ's in over a year...?
    >
    > I would have thought that Slack 12.0/HAL/dbus would have accounted
    > for a few...

    Nah. The slackware community is just too lazy these days.

  10. Re: Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer

    Dan C wrote:

    > There was a thread in here, OP was Robby Workman, which should serve
    > as a good starting point for at least one entry on HAL tweaks:
    >
    > Message ID:
    >
    > Perhaps the maintainer (Sylvain?) could pretty much cut-n-paste that into
    > the FAQ...

    I apologize for my aparent bsilence on this matter; I've been on
    vacation. I'll have a look at that in the near future, and add what
    seems right.

    Keith's followup to your original question is correct: what *are* the
    frequently asked questions, and more importantly, what are the answers
    to them, phrased in such a way as to make them applicable to the general
    case?

  11. Re: Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer

    Dan C wrote:

    > There was a thread in here, OP was Robby Workman, which should serve
    > as a good starting point for at least one entry on HAL tweaks:
    >
    > Message ID:
    >
    > Perhaps the maintainer (Sylvain?) could pretty much cut-n-paste that into
    > the FAQ...

    I apologize for my aparent bsilence on this matter; I've been on
    vacation. I'll have a look at that in the near future, and add what
    seems right.

    Two Raven's followup to your original question is correct: what *are* the