USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie - Slackware

This is a discussion on USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie - Slackware ; After a Win XP system error that left my laptop unbootable, I am trying to use a bootable version of Linux to access my files to copy to an external USB drive. I have created bootable CDs for Slack and ...

  1. USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie

    After a Win XP system error that left my laptop unbootable, I am trying to
    use a bootable version of Linux to access my files to copy to an external
    USB drive. I have created bootable CDs for Slack and Archie so far and
    neither grants me permission to write files to the USB drive. Slack found
    the drive okay but would not allow me to write. In fact I could not even
    copy between partitions on the same drive. I opened the drive properties and
    set the permissions to read and write before receiving an error message
    stating that I could not change permissions. This is after logging on using
    the "root" username and "toor" password as specified during the boot. Using
    Archie, I could not get it to find my USB drive.

    I'd be grateful if someone could help me with writing files. I have found
    Slack slightly easier to use than Archie, so help with that OS version would
    be great. Alternatively, is another Linux version would be better, please
    suggest. I've been trying to keep the download small as I have a slow
    connection.

    BTW, from another newsgroup I have learned that the error I have is
    unrecoverable and will need a fresh install. That's okay but I do need to
    same a few important files first.

    Many thanks.

  2. Re: USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie

    pbl wrote:

    > After a Win XP system error that left my laptop unbootable, I am trying to
    > use a bootable version of Linux to access my files to copy to an external
    > USB drive. I have created bootable CDs for Slack and Archie so far and
    > neither grants me permission to write files to the USB drive. Slack found
    > the drive okay but would not allow me to write. In fact I could not even
    > copy between partitions on the same drive. I opened the drive properties
    > and set the permissions to read and write before receiving an error
    > message stating that I could not change permissions. This is after logging
    > on using the "root" username and "toor" password as specified during the
    > boot. Using Archie, I could not get it to find my USB drive.
    >
    > I'd be grateful if someone could help me with writing files. I have found
    > Slack slightly easier to use than Archie, so help with that OS version
    > would be great. Alternatively, is another Linux version would be better,
    > please suggest. I've been trying to keep the download small as I have a
    > slow connection.
    >
    > BTW, from another newsgroup I have learned that the error I have is
    > unrecoverable and will need a fresh install. That's okay but I do need to
    > same a few important files first.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    In your position i would use sysrescuecd. If it can access the drives it
    has a chance of recovering the MBR, the partition table, and boot modules
    like lilo and grub. Using either it or Knoppix (DVD) i have recovered from
    problems like this and worse.
    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

  3. Re: USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie

    "pbl" wrote:
    > I have created bootable CDs for Slack and Archie so far and neither
    > grants me permission to write files to the USB drive.

    If the USB drive is formatted as NTFS it will not be mounted with write
    access unless you use ntfs-3g, for more information see
    http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

    A live CD which has this ntfs write support is Trinity Rescue Kit avaiable
    at http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.ph...=1&front_id=12
    There is some instructions on how to mount ntfs file systems in different
    ways at http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.ph...45&front_id=12

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread