Compiz: Where's the spinning cube? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Compiz: Where's the spinning cube? - Slackware ; It appears I have compiz up and running from the stock install of 12. I'm using a P4 1.6ghz 512 RAM and an Nvidia Gforce 4 440 64mb RAM video card. I'm trying this on KDE at 1024x768x60hz. There are ...

  1. Compiz: Where's the spinning cube?

    It appears I have compiz up and running from the stock install of 12. I'm
    using a P4 1.6ghz 512 RAM and an Nvidia Gforce 4 440 64mb RAM video card.
    I'm trying this on KDE at 1024x768x60hz. There are fading features
    running, and the desktops spin in 2 dimensions when I click on the pager.
    I've lost the ability to move or resize windows, but can move them and get
    it wiggling if I hold down the alt key while clicking the mouse on it.

    I've tried to scare down the command line options to no avail. Man compiz
    and compiz --help yeild zero information, and links on the compiz website
    lead you to gnome GUI apps.

    I've found a couple of differrent command strings to try, such as compiz --
    replace decoration wobbly fade minimize cube move place resize rotate
    scale switcher water zoom gtk-window-decorator &

    which results in

    compiz: Failed to load slide: freedesktop
    compiz: Couldn't load plugin 'gtk-window-decorator

    Also I've tried it with the option of kde-window-decorator with the same
    result. My best guess is all I need to do is figure out what command
    string to feed it, the question is, where do I find the proper commands?
    Or if I'm wrong on that line of thinking, please let me know.

  2. Re: Compiz: Where's the spinning cube?

    Leonard The Committed wrote:

    > It appears I have compiz up and running from the stock install
    > of 12. I'm using a P4 1.6ghz 512 RAM and an Nvidia Gforce 4 440
    > 64mb RAM video card. I'm trying this on KDE at 1024x768x60hz.
    > There are fading features running, and the desktops spin in 2
    > dimensions when I click on the pager. I've lost the ability to
    > move or resize windows, but can move them and get it wiggling if
    > I hold down the alt key while clicking the mouse on it.
    >
    > I've tried to scare down the command line options to no avail.
    > Man compiz and compiz --help yeild zero information, and links
    > on the compiz website lead you to gnome GUI apps.
    >
    > I've found a couple of differrent command strings to try, such
    > as compiz -- replace decoration wobbly fade minimize cube move
    > place resize rotate scale switcher water zoom
    > gtk-window-decorator &
    >
    > which results in
    >
    > compiz: Failed to load slide: freedesktop
    > compiz: Couldn't load plugin 'gtk-window-decorator
    >
    > Also I've tried it with the option of kde-window-decorator with
    > the same result. My best guess is all I need to do is figure out
    > what command string to feed it, the question is, where do I find
    > the proper commands? Or if I'm wrong on that line of thinking,
    > please let me know.

    To start compiz from cli use:
    # compiz --replace decoration wobbly fade minimize cube
    switcher move resize place rotate zoom scale &
    # kde-window-decorator --replace &

    The first command loads compiz with all requested plugins, the
    second loads the kde-window-decorator. To configure compiz w/o
    gconf you have to use the ini plugin. See here for a small HOWTO
    on using ini:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...723809595934a3

    HTH
    Joerg