Slackpkg "unsupported scheme" - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackpkg "unsupported scheme" - Slackware ; I keep a local mirror of the slackware tree on an external hard drive, which I regularly update from a local mirror. Under Slack-12, external media (and dvd's) are mounted under the "media" directory. Whenever I use Slackpkg to try ...

  1. Slackpkg "unsupported scheme"

    I keep a local mirror of the slackware tree on an external hard drive, which I
    regularly update from a local mirror.

    Under Slack-12, external media (and dvd's) are mounted under the "media"
    directory. Whenever I use Slackpkg to try and update my system - either from
    my local hd image, or from a dvd built from it - I get an "unsupported scheme"
    error message. It works fine when I connect to the local mirror!

    The tree exists either under /media/disk/slackware-12.0/ (hd)
    or /media/Slackware-12.0 (dvd). I can enter either of these quite happily from
    the command line. Its clearly something to do with the syntax of pointing
    slackpkg at the local tree, but exactly what is slackpkg objecting to?

    The lines in my "mirrors" file are either:

    cdrom://media/slackware-12.0

    or:

    disk://media/disk/slackware-12.0/

    Cheers,

    --
    Pete
    christy@NOattglobalSPAM.net

  2. Re: Slackpkg "unsupported scheme"

    In article <1omoi.235$vi3.61@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
    Peter Christy wrote:

    > disk://media/disk/slackware-12.0/

    Try file:///media/disk/slackware-12.0/

    That's the type of URL web browsers use for local files, so it seems
    like it could be the standard followed by slackpkg et al.

    Note: three slashes, as the space for the hostname is empty and the
    third one is for the root directory.

    - Martijn

  3. Re: Slackpkg "unsupported scheme"

    Martijn Dekker wrote:
    > Try file:///media/disk/slackware-12.0/

    No, that didn't work either! (but thanks for the suggestion!)

    There seems to be a large inconsistency in the naming conventions used by Hal -
    something I though udev was supposed to sort out!

    For example, when I attach my external HD, Hal automatically opens a window
    which proclaims the location as

    However, if I then close that window and try and browse back to it, I have to
    go to ! This also applies if I try and go to it from the command
    line.

    I've now tried every combination of disk:// disk:/// system:// and system:///
    that I can think of, and none of them work!

    Certainly a minimum of two slashes seems to be required to stop the system
    attempting to ftp to somewhere. But nothing seems to persuade it to look in
    the right place!

    Surely it can't be this difficult?

    --
    Pete
    christy@NOattglobalSPAM.net
    (make the obvious amendments to reply!)

  4. Re: Slackpkg "unsupported scheme"

    On 2007-07-21, Peter Christy wrote:
    > I keep a local mirror of the slackware tree on an external hard drive, which I
    > regularly update from a local mirror.
    >
    > Under Slack-12, external media (and dvd's) are mounted under the "media"
    > directory. Whenever I use Slackpkg to try and update my system - either from
    > my local hd image, or from a dvd built from it - I get an "unsupported scheme"
    > error message. It works fine when I connect to the local mirror!
    >
    > The tree exists either under /media/disk/slackware-12.0/ (hd)
    > or /media/Slackware-12.0 (dvd). I can enter either of these quite happily from
    > the command line. Its clearly something to do with the syntax of pointing
    > slackpkg at the local tree, but exactly what is slackpkg objecting to?
    >
    > The lines in my "mirrors" file are either:
    >
    > cdrom://media/slackware-12.0
    >
    > or:
    >
    > disk://media/disk/slackware-12.0/

    The correct syntax for /etc/slackpkg/mirrors is
    cdrom://path/to/local/director

    RW

  5. Re: Slackpkg "unsupported scheme"

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > The correct syntax for /etc/slackpkg/mirrors is
    > cdrom://path/to/local/director
    >
    > RW

    Ok, I've finally managed to get it working with my dvd! The correct syntax (in
    my case) was "cdrom://media/Slackware-12.0/" (Note the trailing slash!)

    For my hard drive I had to use the
    following: "cdrom://media/disk/slackware-12.0/"

    Again, note the trailing slash, AND the fact that I have to call it cdrom and
    not disk - even though its a disk!

    Thanks to all for their input, and especially to Robby Workman for finally
    giving me the necessary clue!

    --
    Pete
    christy@NOattglobalSPAM.net