Slackware 12 and USB scanner, FYI more or less - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware 12 and USB scanner, FYI more or less - Slackware ; I have an Epson 1240U scanner that works under Slack 11. On that partition it is attached to /dev/usb/scanner0 and that is where Xsane called by Gimp looks for it. But there is no such device on Slackware 12. I ...

  1. Slackware 12 and USB scanner, FYI more or less

    I have an Epson 1240U scanner that works under Slack 11. On that
    partition it is attached to /dev/usb/scanner0 and that is where Xsane
    called by Gimp looks for it. But there is no such device on Slackware
    12. I recognized that I have to change permissions on some device or
    other. But which one? so I did a chmod 666 on all devices that had
    usb in their name. There were about 7 of them.
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 189, 0 2007-07-20 12:43 usbdev1.1
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 250, 0 2007-07-20 12:43 usbdev1.1_ep00
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 250, 1 2007-07-20 12:43 usbdev1.1_ep81
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root scanner 189, 1 2007-07-20 17:06 usbdev1.2
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 250, 2 2007-07-20 12:43 usbdev1.2_ep00
    crw-rw---- 1 root root 250, 4 2007-07-20 17:06 usbdev1.2_ep02
    crw-rw---- 1 root root 250, 3 2007-07-20 17:06 usbdev1.2_ep81

    I suspect that usbdev1.2_ep00 is the right guy since he is in the
    scanner group. Gimp still expects the old name but will look for the
    right one if I ask politely. Xsane in stand alone mode still can't
    find it however.

    Is this change part of the HAL necromancy? I expect to have mastered
    HAL about the time Slack 13 comes out and changes it all again.

    John Culleton

  2. Re: Slackware 12 and USB scanner, FYI more or less

    On Jul 20, 5:26 pm, "j...@wexfordpress.com"
    wrote:
    > Gimp still expects the old name but will look for the
    > right one if I ask politely. Xsane in stand alone mode still can't
    > find it however.

    Correction: xsane will find it in stand-alone mode.
    JC

  3. Re: Slackware 12 and USB scanner, FYI more or less

    On Jul 20, 5:31 pm, "j...@wexfordpress.com"
    wrote:
    > On Jul 20, 5:26 pm, "j...@wexfordpress.com"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Gimp still expects the old name but will look for the
    > > right one if I ask politely. Xsane in stand alone mode still can't
    > > find it however.

    > Correction: xsane will find it in stand-alone mode.
    > JC

    Here is the final solution. The devices are created dynamically, so
    that the change in permissions has to be done on every boot. And
    sometimes the names change. Therefore I added this to rc.local:
    chmod 666 /dev/usb*

    John Culleton

+ Reply to Thread