Does Slackware 12 have a nonfunctional Xine? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Does Slackware 12 have a nonfunctional Xine? - Slackware ; Hi all, Has anybody gotten Xine to play a regular DVD or an Xvid video? My install isn't working for either. Thanks....

  1. Does Slackware 12 have a nonfunctional Xine?

    Hi all,

    Has anybody gotten Xine to play a regular DVD or an
    Xvid video? My install isn't working for either.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Does Slackware 12 have a nonfunctional Xine?

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:18:14 -0700, Sparrow wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Has anybody gotten Xine to play a regular DVD or an Xvid video? My
    > install isn't working for either.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, but standard links /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd are missing on my install
    of Slackware 12. For example, I have /dev/cdrom1 and /dev/dvd1 linked to /
    dev/sr0 so Xine fails to recognize the DVD because of its default
    configuration. Simply update the device settings of Xine to match your
    actual devices and you should be fine.

  3. Re: Does Slackware 12 have a nonfunctional Xine?

    On Jul 20, 8:45 pm, "T.P. Reitzel" wrote:

    > Yes, but standard links /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd are missing on my install
    > of Slackware 12. For example, I have /dev/cdrom1 and /dev/dvd1 linked to /
    > dev/sr0 so Xine fails to recognize the DVD because of its default
    > configuration. Simply update the device settings of Xine to match your
    > actual devices and you should be fine.

    I recall telling it to use /dev/hdc. Anyway it recognized the DVD but
    the video was garbled and there was no sound.

  4. Re: Does Slackware 12 have a nonfunctional Xine?

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:19:04 -0700, Sparrow wrote:

    > On Jul 20, 8:45 pm, "T.P. Reitzel" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, but standard links /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd are missing on my
    >> install of Slackware 12. For example, I have /dev/cdrom1 and /dev/dvd1
    >> linked to / dev/sr0 so Xine fails to recognize the DVD because of its
    >> default configuration. Simply update the device settings of Xine to
    >> match your actual devices and you should be fine.

    > I recall telling it to use /dev/hdc. Anyway it recognized the DVD but
    > the video was garbled and there was no sound.

    If your attempting to play an encrypted DVD, you'll need libdvdcss which
    you probably already know. If not, you can find a package on
    linuxpackages.net for Slackware 11 which will also work in Slackware 12.
    But, your lack of sound complicates the issue. I assume you have sound
    otherwise? If not, run alsamixer. If so, ensure you're a member of
    plugdev, cdrom, video, and audio in /etc/group and try again. I suspect
    that your problem is related to various items and not just one in
    particular. HTH

+ Reply to Thread