SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0 - Slackware ; Hi, I just built and installed Slim (Slackbuild from Slackbuilds.org) on a stock Slackware 12.0 install. I want to use it with XFCE. I can't seem to get the thing to work correctly (even: at all). It starts up OK, ...

  1. SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0

    Hi,

    I just built and installed Slim (Slackbuild from Slackbuilds.org) on a
    stock Slackware 12.0 install. I want to use it with XFCE.

    I can't seem to get the thing to work correctly (even: at all). It
    starts up OK, but then... nothing. Respawns.

    Unfortunately the documentation on the website (slim.berlios.de) is
    rather laconic.

    Anyone here got that thing to work correctly? If so, would you be so
    kind as to send me your /etc/slim.conf file for inspiration, so I can
    guess my errors?

    Thanks,

    Niki

  2. Re: SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > I just built and installed Slim (Slackbuild from Slackbuilds.org) on a
    > stock Slackware 12.0 install. I want to use it with XFCE.

    hey, that's nice! finally a nice graphical login without having to install
    kde!

    > I can't seem to get the thing to work correctly (even: at all). It
    > starts up OK, but then... nothing. Respawns.

    ok, so i installed it too, and at first had the same problem. now the thing
    is, /etc/slim.conf contains a line specifying the command to be run after
    the user has logged on. the default is:

    login_cmd exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session

    which is fine, *if* the user has an appropriate ~/.xinitrc. if you've
    (only?) installed xfce, you do not, however. the xinitrc to run xfce is in
    ~/.config/xfce4. so i changed this line to:

    login_cmd exec /bin/bash -login ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc %session

    and now it works. (you can probably leave out the %session, as the script
    doesn't use it, afaik. that's only needed if you want to allow more than
    one WM/DE to be used.)

    > Unfortunately the documentation on the website (slim.berlios.de) is
    > rather laconic.

    in part (i think) because the way to make a login manager start at boot and
    the way to start the relevant WM differs from distro to distro.

    > Anyone here got that thing to work correctly? If so, would you be so
    > kind as to send me your /etc/slim.conf file for inspiration, so I can
    > guess my errors?

    i've only made the one change to /etc/slim.conf, i'm guessing it'll work
    for you too.

    HTH

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  3. Re: SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0

    Joost Kremers a écrit :

    > login_cmd exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session
    >
    > which is fine, *if* the user has an appropriate ~/.xinitrc. if you've
    > (only?) installed xfce, you do not, however. the xinitrc to run xfce is in
    > ~/.config/xfce4. so i changed this line to:
    >
    > login_cmd exec /bin/bash -login ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc %session
    >
    > and now it works. (you can probably leave out the %session, as the script
    > doesn't use it, afaik. that's only needed if you want to allow more than
    > one WM/DE to be used.)

    Curiously, I had no such file.

    But in the meantime, I just did it the good old manual way. Edit a
    ~/.xinitrc file, 'exec startxfce4', and now it works OK.

    Different ways lead to XFCE.

    )

    Niki

  4. Re: SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0

    Joost Kremers a écrit :
    > Niki Kovacs wrote:
    >> I just built and installed Slim (Slackbuild from Slackbuilds.org) on a
    >> stock Slackware 12.0 install. I want to use it with XFCE.

    > hey, that's nice! finally a nice graphical login without having to install
    > kde!

    So far I've already customized Slim to fit my needs. There's only one
    thing left to do. How can I display "Nom d'utilisateur" and "Mot de
    passe" instead of "Username" and "Password"? slim.conf allows to
    customize reboot and shutdown messages OK, but these two are nowhere to
    be found.

    Cheers,

    Niki

  5. Re: SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0

    Niki Kovacs a écrit :

    > So far I've already customized Slim to fit my needs. There's only one
    > thing left to do. How can I display "Nom d'utilisateur" and "Mot de
    > passe" instead of "Username" and "Password"? slim.conf allows to
    > customize reboot and shutdown messages OK, but these two are nowhere to
    > be found.

    's OK, I found it. It's in the themes directory.

    Cheers,

    N.

  6. Re: SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0

    Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > Unfortunately the documentation on the website (slim.berlios.de) is
    > rather laconic.
    >
    > Anyone here got that thing to work correctly? If so, would you be so
    > kind as to send me your /etc/slim.conf file for inspiration, so I can
    > guess my errors?

    slackware 12.0 here, installed fine, just changed some path infos
    e.g. /usr/X11R6/bin/X is now in /usr/bin/X

    cu Frank

    --
    The people sensible enough to give
    good advice are usually sensible enough to give none.

  7. Re: SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > Joost Kremers a écrit :
    >>
    >> login_cmd exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session
    >>
    >> which is fine, *if* the user has an appropriate ~/.xinitrc. if you've
    >> (only?) installed xfce, you do not, however. the xinitrc to run xfce is in
    >> ~/.config/xfce4. so i changed this line to:
    >>
    >> login_cmd exec /bin/bash -login ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc %session
    >>
    >> and now it works. (you can probably leave out the %session, as the script
    >> doesn't use it, afaik. that's only needed if you want to allow more than
    >> one WM/DE to be used.)
    >>

    > Curiously, I had no such file.

    well, i'm running slackware (slackintosh) 11 here, it may be different in
    v12.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  8. Re: SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0

    Niki Kovacs wrote :

    > But in the meantime, I just did it the good old manual way.

    Whats wrong with the good old Slackware way? The "user" should run the
    'xwmconfig' command and thats it.
    --
    Thomas O.

  9. Re: SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0

    Frank Boehm wrote:

    > slackware 12.0 here, installed fine, just changed some path infos
    > e.g. /usr/X11R6/bin/X is now in /usr/bin/X

    read Joost Kremers article and stumbled over "~/.xinitrc %session"

    %session imho doesn't make much sense on slackware, /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    is a symlink to the choosen wm, that is imho the place to go for a
    default setting, I don't want to make specific changes anywhere else.

    So I changed the line to "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc", works for every user
    without checking for an already existing ~/.xinitrc and specific user
    settings are checked too.

    cu Frank

    --
    The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
    -- Paul Erlich

  10. Re: SLIM Login Manager on Slack 12.0

+ Reply to Thread