Compaq AVGA Chipset - Slackware

This is a discussion on Compaq AVGA Chipset - Slackware ; I have a old Compaq 486 DX4-100 Notebook, on which I installed Slackware 11 recently. Only Xorg makes problems. 1. AVGA Chipset support is abandoned since Xfree 3.3.6 2. VESA Modes cannot be initialized, it gives me errors, seems to ...

  1. Compaq AVGA Chipset

    I have a old Compaq 486 DX4-100 Notebook, on which I installed Slackware
    11 recently. Only Xorg makes problems.

    1. AVGA Chipset support is abandoned since Xfree 3.3.6
    2. VESA Modes cannot be initialized, it gives me errors,
    seems to me that the notebook doesn't have VESA support.
    Don't know how to detect it.
    3.VGA driver for Xorg is very strange here:
    I try to use 640x480x4Bit (16 Colours), but it always switches
    to a resolution of 320x200!

    Same on Delilinux. Seems to be a general problem.
    Don't know what to do here... If I could write a Xorg driver,
    I would take a look into the old Xfree 3.3.6 driver.

    Any ideas are desired

  2. Re: Compaq AVGA Chipset

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:16:22 +0200, Tim Lindner wrote:

    > I have a old Compaq 486 DX4-100 Notebook, on which I installed Slackware
    > 11 recently. Only Xorg makes problems.

    > Any ideas are desired

    Why not run an older version of Slack on that puppy? I'll bet 7.1 would
    work very nicely. Use the laptop behind a decent firewall and you
    shouldn't have any troubles. At this point, it might even be a case of
    security through obscurity.

  3. Re: Compaq AVGA Chipset

    mr b. wrote :

    > I'll bet 7.1 would work very nicely.

    I think Slackware 10.2 would be better, here you'll find the drivers from
    XFree86 3.3.6 in the /pasture directory. I don't know if these drivers
    will work with Slackware 11 but it might be worth to try.

    BTW. The README file is there for a reason, as usual.
    --
    Thomas O.

  4. Re: Compaq AVGA Chipset

    Thomas Overgaard schrieb:
    > mr b. wrote :
    >
    >> I'll bet 7.1 would work very nicely.

    > I think Slackware 10.2 would be better, here you'll find the drivers from
    > XFree86 3.3.6 in the /pasture directory. I don't know if these drivers
    > will work with Slackware 11 but it might be worth to try.
    >
    > BTW. The README file is there for a reason, as usual.

    Thanks, I'll take a look there...

+ Reply to Thread