Google Estimates -- Guy Macon - Slackware

This is a discussion on Google Estimates -- Guy Macon - Slackware ; Eef Hartman wrote: > >Guy Macon wrote: >> These "X of about Y" estimates are usually wildly optimistic, >> yet they are the numbers you often see quoted. This reminds >> me of the "Peak Instantaneous Power Output" specs on ...

  1. Google Estimates -- Guy Macon

    Eef Hartman wrote:

    >Guy Macon wrote:

    >> These "X of about Y" estimates are usually wildly optimistic,
    >> yet they are the numbers you often see quoted. This reminds
    >> me of the "Peak Instantaneous Power Output" specs on some audio
    >> amplifiers.

    >But often you'll see at the last page of the returned results that
    >google didn't show the OTHER results because it considered them "too
    >similar" to the ones already seen. This isn't always correct, so
    >you do get the chance to see "all of them" there.

    I actually wrote an additional paragraph explaining this, then
    deleted it because so many of the "similar" results are really
    the same page reached through slightly different URLs.

    Let's do an experiment, searching for some names as someone
    looking for information might do.

    First just typing in the names, as a naive user might do:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 for guy macon. (0.06 seconds)
    Results 1 - 10 of about 36,200 for eef hartman.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 216 for patrick volderking

    Of course many of these are bogus. One is a Physics conference
    with participants including Michaael Hartmann and Eef van Beveren.
    Another mentions Guy Paine Road in Macon, Georgia.

    Now enclose the names in quotes to reject the above bogus results:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 21,000 for "guy macon".
    Results 1 - 10 of about 15,700 for "eef hartman".
    Results 1 - 10 of about 205 for "patrick volderking"

    Hmmm. Hardly any bogus results for patrick volderking...

    OK, lets see what we get by trying to access the last entry on
    the last page of each:

    Results 411 - 413 of 413 for "guy macon".
    Results 21 - 21 of 21 for "eef hartman".
    Results 41 - 44 of 44 for "patrick volderking".

    Now lets. try it with the "repeat the search with the omitted
    results included" option:

    Results 991 - 1000 of about 21,000 for "guy macon".
    Results 981 - 990[?] of about 15,700 for "eef hartman"
    Results 201 - 205 of 205 for "patrick volderking".

    ...and no more results below those.

    In my results I saw one spot where the same webpage was
    listed over 16 times in a row., and lots of others with at
    least ten. In your results, among those 990 results,
    there were way more than the previously claimed 21, so
    in your case the "similar" results aren't very similar
    at all.

    Now things got a bit weird. There was a link to more results,
    but that link sent me to a page with " Results 521 - 530 of
    about 15,700 for 'eef hartman'" and "repeat the search with
    the omitted results included." ...an apparant bug in Google.

    It's hard to draw a conclusion from the above. The results
    seem dependent on what is being searched for.

    --
    Guy Macon

  2. Re: Google Estimates -- Guy Macon

    Guy Macon a écrit :

    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 for guy macon. (0.06 seconds)
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 36,200 for eef hartman.
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 216 for patrick volderking
    >
    > Of course many of these are bogus. One is a Physics conference
    > with participants including Michaael Hartmann and Eef van Beveren.
    > Another mentions Guy Paine Road in Macon, Georgia.

    That's "volkerding", not "volderking".

    And spelled correctly, it returns about 175,000 entries.

    cheers,

    Niki

    PS: "Volderking"... nice name for a performing file browser! (At least,
    better than Thunar)

  3. Re: Google Estimates -- Guy Macon

    On 2007-07-20, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > PS: "Volderking"... nice name for a performing file browser! (At least,
    > better than Thunar)

    LOL....

  4. Re: Google Estimates -- Guy Macon

    On 2007-07-20, Guy Macon wrote:

    > Eef Hartman wrote:
    >>
    >>Guy Macon wrote:

    >>> These "X of about Y" estimates are usually wildly optimistic,
    >>> yet they are the numbers you often see quoted. This reminds
    >>> me of the "Peak Instantaneous Power Output" specs on some audio
    >>> amplifiers.

    >>But often you'll see at the last page of the returned results that
    >>google didn't show the OTHER results because it considered them "too
    >>similar" to the ones already seen. This isn't always correct, so
    >>you do get the chance to see "all of them" there.

    > Let's do an experiment, searching for some names as someone
    > looking for information might do.
    >
    > First just typing in the names, as a naive user might do:
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 for guy macon. (0.06 seconds)
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 36,200 for eef hartman.
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 216 for patrick volderking
    >
    > Of course many of these are bogus. One is a Physics conference
    > with participants including Michaael Hartmann and Eef van Beveren.
    > Another mentions Guy Paine Road in Macon, Georgia.
    >
    > Now enclose the names in quotes to reject the above bogus results:
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 21,000 for "guy macon".
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 15,700 for "eef hartman".
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 205 for "patrick volderking"
    >
    > Hmmm. Hardly any bogus results for patrick volderking...

    Small wonder. But there are many more results for Patrick Volkerding.

    Imagine that.

    Jim

  5. Re: Google Estimates -- Guy Macon

    Niki Kovacs wrote:

    >Guy Macon a écrit :
    >>
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 for guy macon. (0.06 seconds)
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 36,200 for eef hartman.
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 216 for patrick volderking
    >>
    >> Of course many of these are bogus. One is a Physics conference
    >> with participants including Michaael Hartmann and Eef van Beveren.
    >> Another mentions Guy Paine Road in Macon, Georgia.

    >That's "volkerding", not "volderking".
    >
    >And spelled correctly, it returns about 175,000 entries.

    AAARGH!

    First I made a typo, then when I saw the amazon.com result at
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...k%20Volderking
    and the lack of the Google "did you mean" spelling nanny, I assumed
    that I had typed it in correctly. (Smacks self in head.) And I have
    a book with his name on the cover sitting next to my monitor! Duh...

    It's an interesting data point though: seeing how many websites made
    the same error.

    So the results are:

    No Quotes:
    Results 1 - 10 of about 168,000 for patrick volkerding
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 for guy macon.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 36,200 for eef hartman.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 216 for patrick volderking

    Quotes:
    Results 1 - 10 of about 142,000 for "patrick volkerding"
    Results 1 - 10 of about 21,000 for "guy macon".
    Results 1 - 10 of about 15,700 for "eef hartman".
    Results 1 - 10 of about 205 for "patrick volderking"

    Quotes, last available page:
    Results 581 - 590 of about 142,000 for "patrick volkerding"
    Results 411 - 413 of 413 for "guy macon".
    Results 21 - 21 of 21 for "eef hartman".
    Results 41 - 44 of 44 for "patrick volderking".

    Quotes, last available page, "repeat the search
    with the omitted results included" option:
    Results 991 - 1000 of about 132,000 for "patrick volkerding"
    Results 991 - 1000 of about 21,000 for "guy macon".
    Results 981 - 990 of about 15,700 for "eef hartman"
    Results 201 - 205 of 205 for "patrick volderking".

    Interesting...

    --
    Guy Macon

  6. Re: Google Estimates -- Guy Macon

    Niki Kovacs trolled:
    >Guy Macon a ?crit :
    >>
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 for guy macon. (0.06 seconds)
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 36,200 for eef hartman.
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 216 for patrick volderking
    >>
    >> Of course many of these are bogus. One is a Physics conference
    >> with participants including Michaael Hartmann and Eef van Beveren.
    >> Another mentions Guy Paine Road in Macon, Georgia.

    >That's "volkerding", not "volderking".

    >And spelled correctly, it returns about 175,000 entries.

    >cheers,

    >Niki

    >PS: "Volderking"... nice name for a performing file browser! (At least,
    >better than Thunar)

    Sounds like FolderKing. And that sounds pretty windowish to us...

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  7. Re: Google Estimates -- Guy Macon

    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 21,000 for "guy macon".
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 15,700 for "eef hartman".
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 205 for "patrick volderking"

    But of the 21,000 for guy macon, 20,900 are "troll alerts". The
    rest are resumes.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's latest resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.bounceme.net

+ Reply to Thread