problem with 'safely remove' USB drive - Slackware

This is a discussion on problem with 'safely remove' USB drive - Slackware ; I'm new to Slackware, having run Gentoo for a few years. I've got a fresh install of Slackware 12 and I'm using KDE. I have a USB HDD, and when I try to use 'safely remove' from the desktop icon's ...

  1. problem with 'safely remove' USB drive

    I'm new to Slackware, having run Gentoo for a few years. I've got a
    fresh install of Slackware 12 and I'm using KDE.

    I have a USB HDD, and when I try to use 'safely remove' from the
    desktop icon's context menu, it is unmounted but KDE throws up an error
    saying it couldn't be ejected. I didn't realize USB HDDs were ever
    ejected, but when I checked my Gentoo box I found that eject failed in
    the same way, only I never knew it because KDE didn't alert me. It
    seems to be a permission problem -- at least I solved it under Gentoo
    by adding myself to the group that owns the device. But in Slackware,
    even after adding myself to that group (disk), still no joy. I can
    only eject the drive as root.

    I have another USB drive for which it all works; its setup is exactly
    the same as the one with the problem. AFAICT the only difference is
    that with the one that works, eject's CD-ROM command succeeds whereas
    the other one needs the SCSI eject command. (See below for the output
    of eject.)

    Here's all the info I can think of that might be pertinent:

    q@mevrian ~ $ file /dev/WDPassport160
    /dev/WDPassport160: block special (8/1)

    q@mevrian ~ $ stat /dev/WDPassport160 | grep -i gid
    Access: (0660/brw-rw----) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 6/ disk)

    q@mevrian ~ $ groups
    users disk wheel floppy audio video cdrom games plugdev pop

    q@mevrian ~ $ cat /etc/fstab | grep -i bigpassport
    /dev/WDPassport160 /media/bigPassport auto noauto,users,gid=disk,nosuid,umask=0002 0 0

    q@mevrian ~ $ mount /media/bigPassport/

    q@mevrian ~ $ eject -v bigPassport
    eject: device name is `bigPassport'
    eject: expanded name is `/media/bigPassport'
    eject: `/dev/WDPassport160' is mounted at `/media/bigPassport'
    eject: unmounting device `/dev/WDPassport160' from `/media/bigPassport'
    eject: `/dev/WDPassport160' is not a multipartition device
    eject: trying to eject `/dev/WDPassport160' using CD-ROM eject command
    eject: CD-ROM eject command failed
    eject: trying to eject `/dev/WDPassport160' using SCSI commands
    eject: SCSI eject failed
    eject: trying to eject `/dev/WDPassport160' using floppy eject command
    eject: floppy eject command failed
    eject: trying to eject `/dev/WDPassport160' using tape offline command
    eject: tape offline command failed
    eject: unable to eject, last error: Invalid argument

    q@mevrian ~ $ sudo eject -v bigPassport
    eject: device name is `bigPassport'
    eject: expanded name is `/media/bigPassport'
    eject: `/media/bigPassport' is not mounted
    eject: `/dev/WDPassport160' can be mounted at `/media/bigPassport'
    eject: `/dev/WDPassport160' is not a multipartition device
    eject: trying to eject `/dev/WDPassport160' using CD-ROM eject command
    eject: CD-ROM eject command failed
    eject: trying to eject `/dev/WDPassport160' using SCSI commands
    eject: SCSI eject succeeded

  2. Re: problem with 'safely remove' USB drive

    I've received a reply by e-mail for some reason:

    > In article <20070720015026.69bca8ff@mevrian.remarqs.net> you wrote:
    > > I have a USB HDD, and when I try to use 'safely remove' from the
    > > desktop icon's context menu, it is unmounted but KDE throws up an
    > > error

    > Unmount IS the same thing as "safely remove" in windows. So IF you
    > have unmounted the device all I/O TO that device has finished and you
    > can unplug it. Eject is only applicable to devices like CD-roms (and
    > the eject command _will_ unmount it first), which have "trays" or so
    > that can be software activated.

    I was referring to KDE's 'safely remove' option, not Windows'. KDE's
    'safely remove' uses eject rather than umount. I could just call up a
    run box or xterm and use umount, but I'd rather make the GUI for this
    work without throwing up an error message along with the lovely sound
    of breaking glass.

  3. Re: problem with 'safely remove' USB drive

    Q wrote:
    > I've received a reply by e-mail for some reason:

    Ya probably should have deleted his email address before posting the
    message....

    - Kurt

  4. Re: problem with 'safely remove' USB drive

    In ,
    ~kurt wrote:

    >Q wrote:
    >> I've received a reply by e-mail for some reason:

    >Ya probably should have deleted his email address before posting the
    >message....

    I didn't include his e-mail address in my post.

  5. Re: problem with 'safely remove' USB drive

    Q wrote:

    > I didn't include his e-mail address in my post.

    Ooopps, I was looking at the msg ID and wasn't thinking clearly....

    - Kurt

+ Reply to Thread