Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids? - Slackware ; Hi all, I'm using the Xine that comes with Slackware 12.0, and I've found that it cannot play either a regular DVD or an Xvid. The DVD displays as garbled video, and Xvid plays the sound but not the video. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    Hi all,

    I'm using the Xine that comes with Slackware 12.0,
    and I've found that it cannot play either a regular DVD
    or an Xvid. The DVD displays as garbled video, and
    Xvid plays the sound but not the video.

    Gxine doesn't run at all, it's missing a library.

    Anybody know how to fix this?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Useful Info trolled:
    >Hi all,

    >I'm using the Xine that comes with Slackware 12.0,
    >and I've found that it cannot play either a regular DVD
    >or an Xvid. The DVD displays as garbled video, and
    >Xvid plays the sound but not the video.

    >Gxine doesn't run at all, it's missing a library.

    >Anybody know how to fix this?

    What library is it missing?

    Type

    ldd gxine

    and that will list all the libraries, marking those that are
    missing.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.bounceme.net

  3. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 02:12:43 GMT
    rm@baseballproctologist.com (Rosie Matsu****a) wrote:

    > >Anybody know how to fix this?

    > What library is it missing?

    I also have this problem.
    gxine: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open

    Mozilla is not installed.

  4. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Robert trolled:
    >rm@baseballproctologist.com (Rosie Matsu****a) wrote:

    >> >Anybody know how to fix this?

    >> What library is it missing?

    >I also have this problem.
    >gxine: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open
    >shared object file: No such file or directory

    >Mozilla is not installed.

    Our gxine relies on the libmozjs.so that is loaded with firefox.
    Perhaps the easiest answer is to load firefox, if you don't have it
    loaded already. Or it is likely that seamonkey will do.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  5. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    Useful Info wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm using the Xine that comes with Slackware 12.0,
    > and I've found that it cannot play either a regular DVD
    > or an Xvid. The DVD displays as garbled video, and
    > Xvid plays the sound but not the video.
    >
    > Gxine doesn't run at all, it's missing a library.
    >
    > Anybody know how to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    you will find you will need libdvdpsi, libdvdcss2, libdevread once the three
    rpms are installed xine should work owe you also need win32codecs

    if you can not get the above rpms i will be happy to email them to you if
    not you might want to try mplayer

  6. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    Responding to darklight...
    > Useful Info wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm using the Xine that comes with Slackware 12.0,
    >> and I've found that it cannot play either a regular DVD
    >> or an Xvid. The DVD displays as garbled video, and
    >> Xvid plays the sound but not the video.
    >>
    >> Gxine doesn't run at all, it's missing a library.
    >>
    >> Anybody know how to fix this?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > you will find you will need libdvdpsi, libdvdcss2, libdevread once the three
    > rpms are installed xine should work owe you also need win32codecs
    >
    > if you can not get the above rpms i will be happy to email them to you if
    > not you might want to try mplayer

    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPlayer

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_codecs

    and

    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archi...x-t244348.html

    When you unpack the tar.gz into /usr/lib/codecs, make symlinks of
    that dir as /usr/lib/win32 and /usr/share/lib/codecs and
    /usr/share/lib/win32 as some applications you might install later may
    just look in these locations for these codecs.

    You might also want to make sure to include the location specifically
    in Xine's paths configuration panel.

    If you decide to try MPlayer (a good idea , be aware that it takes
    a while to compile, so don't go thinking compiling has stalled if
    nothing seems to be happening for a bit. You might also want to
    include the 'gui' 'gtk1' and 'xmms' flags in your ./configure
    instruction.

    ./configure --help|less

    should tell you what you need to know here.

    --
    Yellow Submarine?
    Nah. Its a TeaPot!

  7. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    darklight a écrit :

    > you will find you will need libdvdpsi, libdvdcss2, libdevread once the three
    > rpms are installed xine should work owe you also need win32codecs
    >
    > if you can not get the above rpms i will be happy to email them to you if
    > not you might want to try mplayer

    This is the Slackware mailing list. RPM is *not* a Slackware package format.

    As for the missing libs, go to Slackbuilds.org. They're all there.

    Cheers,

    niki

  8. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    Rosie Matsu****a a écrit :

    "Rosie" ?!?

    So much for pestering me about androgynous pseudonyms.

    Niki Kovacs

  9. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:53:54 -0700, Useful Info wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm using the Xine that comes with Slackware 12.0, and I've found that
    > it cannot play either a regular DVD or an Xvid. The DVD displays as
    > garbled video, and Xvid plays the sound but not the video.
    >
    > Gxine doesn't run at all, it's missing a library.
    >
    > Anybody know how to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try VLC Media Player, it's a much nicer DVD player application then
    Mplayer or Xine.

  10. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    I demand that Rosie Matsu****a may or may not have written...

    >>> What library is it missing?

    >> I also have this problem.
    >> gxine: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open
    >> shared object file: No such file or directory

    >> Mozilla is not installed.

    > Our gxine relies on the libmozjs.so that is loaded with firefox. Perhaps
    > the easiest answer is to load firefox, if you don't have it loaded already.
    > Or it is likely that seamonkey will do.

    Ideally, you'd be using libmozjs built from xulrunner source; and,
    eventually, the other libmozjs sources would no longer be checked for at
    build time. (The next release won't check for libjs/libsmjs.)

    | + Use more efficient products. Use less. BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT.

    How was Thomas J. Watson buried? ... 9 edge down.

  11. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    General Schvantzkoph a écrit :

    > Try VLC Media Player, it's a much nicer DVD player application then
    > Mplayer or Xine.

    Did you get VLC to build on your Slackware? I've tried it now and then
    over the years, but it's one of the two apps I never succeeded to build.
    (The other one is DVD::RIP).

    Cheers,

    Niki

  12. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:04:50 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph a écrit :
    >>
    >> Try VLC Media Player, it's a much nicer DVD player application then
    >> Mplayer or Xine.

    > Did you get VLC to build on your Slackware? I've tried it now and then
    > over the years, but it's one of the two apps I never succeeded to build.
    > (The other one is DVD::RIP).
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Niki

    I don't use Slackware, I'm running it on Fedora 7. VLC is in the Livna
    respositories for F7. Here are the packages for Slackware

    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-slackware.html

  13. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Niki Kovacs trolled:
    >Rosie Matsu****a a ?crit :

    >"Rosie" ?!?

    >So much for pestering me about androgynous pseudonyms.

    But Rosie Matsu****a is Dutch, obviously, and over there "Rosie" has
    a different gender.

    >Niki Kovacs

    Isn't that supposed to be Kiki Novacs?

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.bounceme.net

  14. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    On 20 Jul., 17:04, Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > Did you get VLC to build on your Slackware? I've tried it now and then
    > over the years, but it's one of the two apps I never succeeded to build.
    > (The other one is DVD::RIP).

    Builds fine here on 10.2, 11.0 and 12.0. You just need some
    dependicies like ffmpeg >= 0.4.9p20070323 (newer versions may fail,
    you may find a copy of the cvs-package here:ftp://mirror.switch.ch/
    mirror/gentoo/distfiles), wxGTK-2.6 (2.8 didn't work last time i tried
    it), mpeg2dec. Tested with VLC 0.8.6c.

    DV

  15. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:58:33 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > This is the Slackware mailing list.

    Ummm, actually..... this is the Slackware *newsgroup*. It's not a mailing
    list, although there is one of those, too.

  16. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:53:54 -0700, Useful Info scrawel pointlessly:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm using the Xine that comes with Slackware 12.0, and I've found that
    > it cannot play either a regular DVD or an Xvid. The DVD displays as
    > garbled video, and Xvid plays the sound but not the video.
    >
    > Gxine doesn't run at all, it's missing a library.
    >
    > Anybody know how to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Mine isn't missing a library (according to ldd /usr/bin/gxine), but it is
    most definitely broken:

    (gxine:2627): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_detach: assertion `style-
    >attach_count > 0' failed

    The program 'gxine' received an X Window System error.
    The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
    (Details: serial 272 error_code 8 request_code 139 minor_code 14)
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
    function.)
    steve@moon:~$

    Xine seems to work fine but will not play a DVD either. Mplayer works
    fine though. I think I have something misconfigured with respect to
    xine. gzine is always flaky for me for some
    reason.

    --
    This isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is.

  17. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    Dan C a écrit :
    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:58:33 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > Ummm, actually..... this is the Slackware *newsgroup*. It's not a mailing
    > list, although there is one of those, too.

    Ah sorry. Of course. I'm at work and I use Thunderbird for pretty much
    everything:
    mail and news. Hence the confusion.

    Niki

  18. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    Niki Kovacs trolled:
    >Dan C a ?crit :
    >> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:58:33 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    >>> This is the Slackware mailing list.

    >> Ummm, actually..... this is the Slackware *newsgroup*. It's not
    >> a mailing list, although there is one of those, too.

    >Ah sorry. Of course. I'm at work and I use Thunderbird for pretty
    >much everything: mail and news. Hence the confusion.

    Why on earth would you apologize to _him?_ He is just being a
    pedantic little ass. Ignore him. Please don't respond to him
    because we don't want to see him.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.bounceme.net

  19. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:21:02 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    >> Ummm, actually..... this is the Slackware *newsgroup*. It's not a mailing
    >> list, although there is one of those, too.

    > Ah sorry. Of course. I'm at work and I use Thunderbird for pretty much
    > everything: mail and news. Hence the confusion.

    Perhaps a suitable reason to upgrade to a real newsreader...?

  20. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    I demand that Steve may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > Mine isn't missing a library (according to ldd /usr/bin/gxine), but it is
    > most definitely broken:

    > (gxine:2627): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_detach: assertion `style-
    > >attach_count > 0' failed

    > The program 'gxine' received an X Window System error.
    > This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    > The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
    > (Details: serial 272 error_code 8 request_code 139 minor_code 14)
    > (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
    > that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
    > To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
    > option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
    > backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
    > function.)
    > steve@moon:~$

    This may be an X configuration issue or a gxine or xine-lib bug; the only
    reference that I can find is http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7026.

    You should follow the instructions given in the error message after you've
    installed debug builds of both ("make debug" will do for building them). Your
    next step should be to post details to xine-user or the bug tracker (see
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xine for both; having a Sourceforge account
    for the latter is *strongly* encouraged) or visit #xine on freenode (where
    European time tends to be kept).

    A different video output driver should work, though; try "gxine -V opengl".
    If this works, edit ~/.gxine/config - look for a line containing
    "video.driver" (probably "#video.driver:auto") and replace the entire line
    with "video.driverpengl". But the problem would still need to be fully
    identified and fixed.

    > Xine seems to work fine but will not play a DVD either. Mplayer works fine
    > though. I think I have something misconfigured with respect to xine.

    Quite possibly. It's always worked fine for me.

    > gxine is always flaky for me for some reason.

    :-|

    Up your accumulator.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast