Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids? - Slackware ; On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:48:30 +0100, Darren Salt scrawel pointlessly: > A different video output driver should work, though; try "gxine -V > opengl". If this works, edit ~/.gxine/config - look for a line > containing "video.driver" (probably "#video.driver:auto") ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:48:30 +0100, Darren Salt scrawel pointlessly:

    > A different video output driver should work, though; try "gxine -V
    > opengl". If this works, edit ~/.gxine/config - look for a line
    > containing "video.driver" (probably "#video.driver:auto") and replace
    > the entire line with "video.driverpengl". But the problem would still
    > need to be fully identified and fixed.

    Thanks for the reply - you are correct! I use the ATI proprietory driver
    and did set xine to use opengl, but did not set gxine. I still have some
    issues with the DVD drive. This is a combination of problems having to
    do with hal, permissions, fstab, /dev/dvd, and the orientation of the
    planets I believe. Need to do some reading and reconfigure. I did hand-
    edit /etc/group to add root and my account to cdrom, plugdev,
    video, audio, etc. but am baffled a bit by root not being able to mount
    any removable media due to insufficient permissions.

    Additionally, I need to pass the following options from lilo at boot to
    get DMA from the drive on this laptop:

    append = "libata.atapi_enabled=1 combined_mode=libata"

    Not sure if this is involved in gxine being unable to check DMA status on
    the drive, but I won't know until I can get gxine to get permission to
    access the drive, or at least recognize that /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom do
    exist.

    I should also correct 2 mis-statements from my earlier post.

    (1) Mplayer is _not_ working with respect to DVD's on this machine (Dell
    E1505 laptop) but _is_ on my desktop. System misconfiguration seems
    likely.

    (2) gxine is not so much "always flaky" as it often seems easier for me
    to break than keep running correctly. A certain amount of PEBCAK is
    involved for sure. I should not unfairly blame software for problems I
    most like caused on my own.

    Thanks again for the reply.

    Steve

    --
    This isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is.

  2. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    I demand that Steve may or may not have written...

    > On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:48:30 +0100, Darren Salt scrawel pointlessly:

    >> A different video output driver should work, though; try "gxine -V
    >> opengl". If this works, edit ~/.gxine/config - look for a line
    >> containing "video.driver" (probably "#video.driver:auto") and replace
    >> the entire line with "video.driverpengl". But the problem would still
    >> need to be fully identified and fixed.

    > Thanks for the reply - you are correct! I use the ATI proprietary driver

    For what hardware? Can you not use the open-source drivers for 3D?

    > and did set xine to use opengl, but did not set gxine.

    It's possible that the config file will be split into into engine and
    front-end parts for 1.2...

    > I still have some issues with the DVD drive. This is a combination of
    > problems having to do with hal, permissions, fstab, /dev/dvd, and the
    > orientation of the planets I believe. Need to do some reading and
    > reconfigure.

    hal & fstab shouldn't be a problem; /dev/dvd is probably a udev-generated
    symlink; it's either the permissions or... I don't know, let's blame it on
    the astronomers who decided to reclassify Pluto ;-)

    > I did hand-edit /etc/group to add root and my account to cdrom,
    > plugdev, video, audio, etc. but am baffled a bit by root not being able to
    > mount any removable media due to insufficient permissions.

    Hmm, yes. Well. Can't help there, but I'd start thinking along the lines of
    ACLs or SELinux being messed up a bit.

    > Additionally, I need to pass the following options from lilo at boot to get
    > DMA from the drive on this laptop:

    > append = "libata.atapi_enabled=1 combined_mode=libata"

    That's probably not relevant, but then I've not needed those - I'm only using
    libata for SATA devices.

    > Not sure if this is involved in gxine being unable to check DMA status on
    > the drive, but I won't know until I can get gxine to get permission to
    > access the drive, or at least recognize that /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom do
    > exist.

    There are three possible errors - "could not read status" (stat()), "could
    not open", "HDIO_GET_DMA failed" (permissions-related) - and one "skipped"
    state which is triggered by SCSI devices or IDE devices being driven by
    ide-scsi. (The code for this is in xine-lib; src/xine-utils/xine_check.c)

    > I should also correct 2 mis-statements from my earlier post.

    > (1) Mplayer is _not_ working with respect to DVD's on this machine (Dell
    > E1505 laptop) but _is_ on my desktop. System misconfiguration seems
    > likely.

    Agreed.

    > (2) gxine is not so much "always flaky" as it often seems easier for me to
    > break than keep running correctly. A certain amount of PEBCAK is involved
    > for sure.

    Well, if you find any problems which can be pinned on gxine or xine-lib (and
    which aren't present in current development versions)...

    > I should not unfairly blame software for problems I most like caused on my
    > own.

    No argument from me (assuming that you meant "likely")...

    | + Southern England is a lake, is a lake, is a lake... glad I'm up north!

    Blah.

  3. Re: Xine can't play DVDs or Xvids?

    rm@baseballproctologist.com (Rosie Matsu****a) burped up warm pablum in
    news:Q77oi.135483$qT.109112@fe06.news.easynews.com :

    >>So much for pestering me about androgynous pseudonyms.

    > But Rosie Matsu****a is Dutch, obviously, and over there "Rosie" has
    > a different gender.

    Dutch, eh? So, does she have tulips?

    Boom! Boom!
    --
    Tris Orendorff
    [Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2