compat-libstdc++ for Slack 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on compat-libstdc++ for Slack 12 - Slackware ; This is probably a FAQ, and I've googled but can't nail the answer down. I have a fresh install of Slackware 12, with the basic package groups except kde. It works great, except a propreitary application is complaining about a ...

  1. compat-libstdc++ for Slack 12

    This is probably a FAQ, and I've googled but can't nail the answer down.
    I have a fresh install of Slackware 12, with the basic package groups
    except kde. It works great, except a propreitary application is
    complaining about a missing library: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

    I would appreciate any pointers to finding the source to the library.
    Googling yielded a hint that compat-libstdc++-296 may be it. Does anyone
    have a slackbuild?

    TIA

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  2. Re: compat-libstdc++ for Slack 12

    Douglas Mayne trolled:
    >This is probably a FAQ, and I've googled but can't nail the answer down.
    >I have a fresh install of Slackware 12, with the basic package groups
    >except kde. It works great, except a propreitary application is
    >complaining about a missing library: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

    >I would appreciate any pointers to finding the source to the library.
    >Googling yielded a hint that compat-libstdc++-296 may be it. Does anyone
    >have a slackbuild?

    http://gcc.gnu.org/libstdc++/

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.bounceme.net

  3. Re: compat-libstdc++ for Slack 12

    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > This is probably a FAQ, and I've googled but can't nail the answer down.
    > I have a fresh install of Slackware 12, with the basic package groups
    > except kde. It works great, except a propreitary application is
    > complaining about a missing library: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

    libstdc++ is the standard c++ library, which is in the cxxlibs package,
    which you most likely have installed already. however, the version shipped
    with slack 12 may be different from the one this piece of software is
    looking for.

    you can try to create a soft link with the name your program is looking
    for, pointing to the actual library on the system. with a little luck,
    that'll work.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  4. Re: compat-libstdc++ for Slack 12

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 02:11:21 +0000, Rosie Matsu****a wrote:

    > Douglas Mayne trolled:
    >>This is probably a FAQ, and I've googled but can't nail the answer down.
    >>I have a fresh install of Slackware 12, with the basic package groups
    >>except kde. It works great, except a propreitary application is
    >>complaining about a missing library: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

    >>I would appreciate any pointers to finding the source to the library.
    >>Googling yielded a hint that compat-libstdc++-296 may be it. Does anyone
    >>have a slackbuild?

    > http://gcc.gnu.org/libstdc++/
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    Thanks, that helped to point me in the right direction.

    BTW, what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow? ;-)

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  5. Re: compat-libstdc++ for Slack 12

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 02:34:44 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:

    > Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >> This is probably a FAQ, and I've googled but can't nail the answer down.
    >> I have a fresh install of Slackware 12, with the basic package groups
    >> except kde. It works great, except a propreitary application is
    >> complaining about a missing library: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

    > libstdc++ is the standard c++ library, which is in the cxxlibs package,
    > which you most likely have installed already. however, the version shipped
    > with slack 12 may be different from the one this piece of software is
    > looking for.

    I looked a bit closer and found this directory:
    /usr/i486-slackware-linux

    which has the library, but version 3. I did as you suggested and created a
    symbolic link to the file in this directory. It didn't work because the
    program needs version 2 of the library, as you pointed out as a likely
    possibility. I looked a bit more online, and after some failed attempts
    at compiling an old source package, I decided to try the binary from
    Fedora Core 4. I tried it and the errors went away.

    > you can try to create a soft link with the name your program is looking
    > for, pointing to the actual library on the system. with a little luck,
    > that'll work.

    Thanks for the help and pointers. Perhaps, version 2 of the library should
    be maintained for backward compatibility. It is not clear that later
    versions of Fedora Core have this file either. Anyway, I am going to call
    this problem solved, even though it required a hatchet ;-)

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  6. Re: compat-libstdc++ for Slack 12

    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > which has the library, but version 3. I did as you suggested and created a
    > symbolic link to the file in this directory. It didn't work because the
    > program needs version 2 of the library, as you pointed out as a likely
    > possibility.

    yeah, sometimes different versions of libraries are similar enough so that
    this trick works, but if there were changes to the way the library
    functions are called, it doesn't.

    > I looked a bit more online, and after some failed attempts
    > at compiling an old source package, I decided to try the binary from
    > Fedora Core 4. I tried it and the errors went away.

    that would have been my next suggestion. ;-)

    > Thanks for the help and pointers. Perhaps, version 2 of the library should
    > be maintained for backward compatibility.

    well, if it's just so that a few proprietary programs can be run, chances
    are very slim that any distribution maintainer will want to do this. open
    source programs can simply be compiled against the latest version of the
    library, and no problems arise. the general opinion is that if the
    maintainer of a proprietary program wants his program to be used, he'll
    have to make sure himself there are binaries for the latest libraries.

    if you really depend on this program, and it's not likely that it's going
    to be updated, keep this particular library file around, you may need it
    again in future installs...

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  7. Re: compat-libstdc++ for Slack 12

    Joost Kremers wrote:
    > if you really depend on this program, and it's not likely that it's going
    > to be updated, keep this particular library file around, you may need it
    > again in future installs...

    For such old binaries it can be useful to place the needed old library in
    a special directory and point to that directory with $LD_LIBRARY_PATH set
    by a wrapper script starting the program.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  8. Re: compat-libstdc++ for Slack 12

    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 02:11:21 +0000, Rosie Matsu****a wrote:
    >
    >> Douglas Mayne trolled:
    >>>This is probably a FAQ, and I've googled but can't nail the answer down.
    >>>I have a fresh install of Slackware 12, with the basic package groups
    >>>except kde. It works great, except a propreitary application is
    >>>complaining about a missing library: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

    >>>I would appreciate any pointers to finding the source to the library.
    >>>Googling yielded a hint that compat-libstdc++-296 may be it. Does anyone
    >>>have a slackbuild?

    >> http://gcc.gnu.org/libstdc++/
    >>
    >> cordially, as always,
    >>
    >> rm
    >>

    > Thanks, that helped to point me in the right direction.
    >
    > BTW, what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow? ;-)

    African or European? http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/

+ Reply to Thread