[OT] Slack 12-don't start before*******. - Slackware

This is a discussion on [OT] Slack 12-don't start before*******. - Slackware ; Hi groupies! Like many of us I read that a new, improved, faster, whatever version of our working distro hit the streets and my fingers started shaking to touch it. So the order went out and few days ago a ...

  1. [OT] Slack 12-don't start before*******.

    Hi groupies!
    Like many of us I read that a new, improved, faster, whatever version of
    our working distro hit the streets and my fingers started shaking to
    touch it. So the order went out and few days ago a thick envelope
    arrived with 6 (it means six) CD's.
    Now relax!!
    On my box Slack 10.2 and 11 are doing what I need daily, for special
    things I have on it Win98SE, Win2k, and Vector Linux used in desperate
    situations when Slack or my patience fails.
    So kick out 10.2 and do fresh install of 12, no biggie, does and boots.
    Few configuration adjustments and lets "work". _STOP_!!!
    The "work" for my box means to be gateway for few networked boxen, one
    of which belongs to "the one that has to be obeyed", so any married male
    can know my position.
    And here the story takes the wrong turn, for years this function is
    relegated to wvdial software which does it perfectly day after day and
    version after version.
    "Not today, gentlemen!"
    Wvdial hickups on too fresh libraries, which on some inspection _are_
    few notches up from the old (and working) ones but evidently NOT
    backward compatible.
    Now what?
    a) Use v.11, what I am doing now, and put 12 in storage.
    b) Create a mess of programm and libraries from 11 on 12. BTW, can such
    be done?
    c) get source and recompile wvdial on the new libraries.
    d) is there wvdial.tgz that can fight those libraries?
    ZZ) learn (again as I did it long time ago) to use ppp.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla

  2. Re: [OT] Slack 12-don't start before*******.

    Stanislaw Flatto trolled:

    >The "work" for my box means to be gateway for few networked boxen, one

    The term "boxen" was determined, years ago, to be a hackneyed, science
    fiction/fantasy reference that is irrelevant to computing. You are
    hereby killfiled for 28 days.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.bounceme.net

  3. Re: [OT] Slack 12-don't start before*******.

    Steve Youngs wrote:

    > * Stanislaw Flatto writes:
    > > ZZ) learn (again as I did it long time ago) to use ppp.

    > This is what I'd do, ppp really isn't all that hard. The upside to this
    > solution is that you can forget about wvdial completely. :-)

    Plus Slack comes with a nifty pppsetup script that takes most of
    the anguish out of using ppp...

  4. Re: [OT] Slack 12-don't start before*******.

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    > Wvdial hickups on too fresh libraries, which on some inspection _are_
    > few notches up from the old (and working) ones but evidently NOT
    > backward compatible.

    I've built new wvstreams and wvdial packages that appear to work with
    slack 12.0. Let me know if you want me to email you copies.

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread