Konqueror under Slack 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Konqueror under Slack 12 - Slackware ; When I start Konqueror, I get: There was an error loading the module KHTML. The diagnostics is: /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent After clicking OK (not because I think it's OK, but because there is no choice), I get: There was ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Konqueror under Slack 12

  1. Konqueror under Slack 12

    When I start Konqueror, I get:

    There was an error loading the module KHTML.
    The diagnostics is:
    /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.4: undefined symbol:
    _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent

    After clicking OK (not because I think it's OK, but because there is no
    choice), I get:

    There was an error loading the module Embedded Advanced Text Editor.
    The diagnostics is:
    /usr/lib/kde3/libkatepart.so: undefined symbol:
    _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent

    Then I get:

    There was an error loading the module KImageMapEditor.
    The diagnostics is:
    /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.4: undefined symbol:
    _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent

    And finally I get the choice to open with FireFox!

  2. Re: Konqueror under Slack 12

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:39:54 +0200, jjg wrote:

    > When I start Konqueror, I get:
    >
    > (snip 3 error messages)
    >
    > And finally I get the choice to open with FireFox!


    Oooh, so Slackware is a self-healing OS now!

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols . sent . towerboy AT xoxy . net


  3. Re: Konqueror under Slack 12



    jjg wrote:

    > When I start Konqueror, I get:
    >
    > There was an error loading the module KHTML.
    > The diagnostics is:
    > /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.4: undefined symbol:
    > _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent
    >
    > After clicking OK (not because I think it's OK, but because there is no
    > choice), I get:
    >
    > There was an error loading the module Embedded Advanced Text Editor.
    > The diagnostics is:
    > /usr/lib/kde3/libkatepart.so: undefined symbol:
    > _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent
    >
    > Then I get:
    >
    > There was an error loading the module KImageMapEditor.
    > The diagnostics is:
    > /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.4: undefined symbol:
    > _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent
    >
    > And finally I get the choice to open with FireFox!


    Well, I did not get many answers, nor was the yield of Google very
    high... :-( --- well, Linux is increasingly looking like Windows, so why
    should I not try the classical Windows "solution"? Reinstall.

    So, I fired up pkgtool, and found that I could only install or remove
    packages. I selected Remove, and I got a long long list of packages.
    Unfortunately, konqueror was nor in this list.

    Well, that is very menu-like (and Windows-like), too: you get a lot of nice
    menus, but what you really want is never there, at least not under the name
    you expect!

    So, my next question: how do I reinstall Konqueror? I can help myself with
    Firefox, which is certainly the better webbrowser, but Konqueror is
    definitely better integrated in KDE... hey, another Windows-ism: you could
    not remove IExplorer because it was so "highly integrated"... remember?
    Should/could I remove KDE completely, and reinstall it?

    Or can anyone point out a "hidden" config file (i.e. not
    in .kde/share/config/konq* ) that I might modify?


  4. Re: Konqueror under Slack 12



    jjg wrote:

    > When I start Konqueror, I get:
    >
    > There was an error loading the module KHTML.


    Well, in another thread, I found that kde had been moved from /opt to /usr.
    I linked the failing lib object to the original one, still present in /opt.
    Yes, the message vanished. next, but now I got a message on
    libsearchbarsomething... well, I could have gone on forever...

    Well, I have taken a risk now... I just copied the complete /opt/lib/kde3/
    over to /usr/lib/kde3/, and all of a sudden, my konqueror started working
    again.

    Now I'll have to wait for side effects, which will no doubt happen...

    But how come the new Slack12 libraries give this strange message, and the
    old Slack11 libs work?

  5. Re: Konqueror under Slack 12




    jjg wrote:

    >Well, I did not get many answers, nor was the yield of Google very
    >high... :-( --- well, Linux is increasingly looking like Windows, so why
    >should I not try the classical Windows "solution"? Reinstall.
    >
    >So, I fired up pkgtool, and found that I could only install or remove
    >packages. I selected Remove, and I got a long long list of packages.
    >Unfortunately, konqueror was nor in this list.
    >
    >Well, that is very menu-like (and Windows-like), too: you get a lot of nice
    >menus, but what you really want is never there, at least not under the name
    >you expect!
    >
    >So, my next question: how do I reinstall Konqueror? I can help myself with
    >Firefox, which is certainly the better webbrowser, but Konqueror is
    >definitely better integrated in KDE... hey, another Windows-ism: you could
    >not remove IExplorer because it was so "highly integrated"... remember?
    >Should/could I remove KDE completely, and reinstall it?


    I don't have a solution to your specific problem (I wish I could
    help) but I do have some general advice.

    As a user of Windows (Electronics CAD programs that don't have
    Linux versions and legacy VB and VC++ programs) and Linux
    (most everything else) I have found that in Linux, although it
    can be a royal pain to do, it is almost always better to try
    to figure out what the specific problem is rather than just
    re-installing. With Windows, of course, you usually have to
    re-install because you can't find out what the actual internal
    error is and you couldn't fix the problem if you knew what it
    was. I think you jumped the gun with your re-install attempt.

    I just did a Google search on "libkhtml.so.4: undefined symbol:"
    (with the quotes) and got 27 hits. Searching on "undefined symbol
    _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent" (without the
    quotes) returned 48 hits. I suspect that the answer you seek
    is somewhere in those 75 pages, and that reading them will help
    you to understand Linux better even if they don't have the solution.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------

    (Change of subject, minor rant)

    When you do the searches above, Google tells a fib about how
    many results you got. for example, the first result page says
    "Results 1 - 10 of about 275", but when you try to reach the
    last page on the list you end up at "Results 21 - 27 of 27."
    The numbers for the second search were 208 and 48.

    These "X of about Y" estiamtes are usually wildly optimistic,
    yet they are the numbers you often see quoted. This reminds
    me of the "Peak Instantaneous Power Output" specs on some audio
    amplifiers.

    --
    Guy Macon



  6. Re: Konqueror under Slack 12

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:31:44 +0200, jjg wrote:

    >
    >
    > jjg wrote:
    >
    >> When I start Konqueror, I get:
    >>
    >> There was an error loading the module KHTML. The diagnostics is:
    >> /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.4: undefined symbol:
    >> _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent
    >>
    >> After clicking OK (not because I think it's OK, but because there is no
    >> choice), I get:
    >>
    >> There was an error loading the module Embedded Advanced Text Editor.
    >> The diagnostics is:
    >> /usr/lib/kde3/libkatepart.so: undefined symbol:
    >> _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent
    >>
    >> Then I get:
    >>
    >> There was an error loading the module KImageMapEditor. The diagnostics
    >> is:
    >> /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.4: undefined symbol:
    >> _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent
    >>
    >> And finally I get the choice to open with FireFox!

    >
    > Well, I did not get many answers, nor was the yield of Google very
    > high... :-( --- well, Linux is increasingly looking like Windows,


    You get this 'impression' because you're using KDE )

    > so why
    > should I not try the classical Windows "solution"? Reinstall.


    A better and becoming more classical Windows method is
    to trash it and install an OS instead, but then you're
    face to face with the problems in the chair to keyboard connection ;-)

    > So, I fired up pkgtool, and found that I could only install or remove
    > packages. I selected Remove, and I got a long long list of packages.
    > Unfortunately, konqueror was nor in this list.


    Yup, it's in the list but hidden inside a bigger package, you
    can't get there from here.

    > Well, that is very menu-like (and Windows-like), too: you get a lot of
    > nice menus,


    And you say this when Microsoft finally made out 'powershell' )

    > but what you really want is never there, at least not under
    > the name you expect!


    That's quite right for large tenements like kde, but unfair to the
    'KISS' packages.
    Hum, here's a quick and dirty recipe I use to have a quick and dirty
    idea of what it's all about (carburetors, men)

    # bzcat .../pathto/MANIFEST.bz2 | awk '/carburetors/{print $5}' RS=

    >
    > So, my next question: how do I reinstall Konqueror?


    You seem to have a problem with some kde libs, not only konqueror,
    but anyway, as KDE is a gross pack of packages that'll be the same in the end :-)

    Determine which packages of kde are related to it and reinstall them,
    a possible, bulk and stonehead way could be (one line, mind the wrapping):

    # cd /.../slackware-current/slackware/ && bzcat MANIFEST.bz2 | awk '$5~/^\.\/kde/&&/konqueror/{print $5}' RS= | while read pp; do upgradepkg --reinstall ${pp} ; done


    > I can help myself
    > with Firefox, which is certainly the better webbrowser, but Konqueror is
    > definitely better integrated in KDE... hey, another Windows-ism: you
    > could not remove IExplorer because it was so "highly integrated"...
    > remember? Should/could I remove KDE completely,


    That's quite a good idea!

    > and reinstall it?


    Well, that's your choice but maybe you should try other options :->
    Have a look at Xfce for instance. I prefer and use others but they're
    a bit too rough for young people tastes ;-)

    > Or can anyone point out a "hidden" config file (i.e. not in
    > .kde/share/config/konq* ) that I might modify?


  7. Re: Konqueror under Slack 12

    Guy Macon wrote:
    > These "X of about Y" estiamtes are usually wildly optimistic,
    > yet they are the numbers you often see quoted. This reminds
    > me of the "Peak Instantaneous Power Output" specs on some audio
    > amplifiers.


    But often you'll see at the last page of the returned results that
    google didn't show the OTHER results because it considered them "too
    similar" to the ones already seen. This isn't always correct, so
    you do get the chance to see "all of them" there.
    --
    ************************************************** ******************
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **
    ** snail-mail: P.O. Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands **
    ************************************************** ******************

  8. Re: Konqueror under Slack 12

    On 2007-07-20, jjg wrote:
    >
    >
    > jjg wrote:
    >
    >> When I start Konqueror, I get:
    >>
    >> There was an error loading the module KHTML.

    >
    > Well, in another thread, I found that kde had been moved from /opt to /usr.
    > I linked the failing lib object to the original one, still present in /opt.
    > Yes, the message vanished. next, but now I got a message on
    > libsearchbarsomething... well, I could have gone on forever...
    >
    > Well, I have taken a risk now... I just copied the complete /opt/lib/kde3/
    > over to /usr/lib/kde3/, and all of a sudden, my konqueror started working
    > again.
    >
    > Now I'll have to wait for side effects, which will no doubt happen...
    >
    > But how come the new Slack12 libraries give this strange message, and the
    > old Slack11 libs work?



    The problem seems to be that you have both old and new libraries present
    on your system. This should not be the case. Either you upgraded
    improperly (i.e. not following the directions) or you did something else
    that caused older kde libraries and such to be present on your system.
    In essence, the "bug" you are experiencing is neither a kde bug nor a
    Slackware bug.

    RW

  9. Re: Konqueror under Slack 12

    Robby Workman wrote:
    [...]
    >> But how come the new Slack12 libraries give this strange message, and the
    >> old Slack11 libs work?

    >
    >
    > The problem seems to be that you have both old and new libraries present
    > on your system. This should not be the case. Either you upgraded
    > improperly (i.e. not following the directions) or you did something else
    > that caused older kde libraries and such to be present on your system.
    > In essence, the "bug" you are experiencing is neither a kde bug nor a
    > Slackware bug.
    >


    First of all: I don't want to accuse anybody. I upgraded as well as I could,
    and I just want to find out what I should have done instead...

    Yes, I have both old and new libs present. In fact, while trying to identify
    the problem, I deleted the /lib/modules/2.4.* directories, just to make
    sure they would not interfere (they didn't, because the problem persisted).

    I did not rebuild any file systems, except the ones holding /tmp and /var
    (and I am somewhat sorry for the latter, since I also erased some useful
    logs... well, **** happens, y'know...). And as a matter of fact, I should
    be quite happy that I did not rebuild the volume holding /opt, because the
    kde3 libraries in it were clearly better than the new ones in /usr/local.

    So, although I cannot but agree that I must have done something wrong, or at
    least that something has gone wrong, I still cannot understand why leaving
    the old libraries in place in /opt while the new ones are in /usr/local
    should do any harm, and indeed, to the opposite: replacing the new libs by
    the old ones at once solved all my problems. I mean, if the new ones are
    referred to, the old ones won't hinder, will they?

    In general, I do not see any reason to rebuild file systems just because
    some files in them might be obsolete. The new version of konqueror should
    refer to the new libs, shouldn't it? But if these wouldn't work, there
    would have been many more complaints, I guess.

    Well, this is alt.os.linux.slackware, a group for people who want to
    understand. Windows users will just reinstall until "it" works. I want to
    know what I did wrong, and although I am glad that it works now, I am still
    trying to find out what I did wrong. And I don't care if I made a stupid
    mistake (I will gladly confess that I did that quite a few times before ;-)


  10. Re: Konqueror under Slack 12

    [posted & mailed by request]

    In article <46a11af3$0$322$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    jjg wrote:

    > Robby Workman wrote:
    > [...]
    > >> But how come the new Slack12 libraries give this strange message, and the
    > >> old Slack11 libs work?

    > >
    > >
    > > The problem seems to be that you have both old and new libraries present
    > > on your system. This should not be the case. Either you upgraded
    > > improperly (i.e. not following the directions) or you did something else
    > > that caused older kde libraries and such to be present on your system.
    > > In essence, the "bug" you are experiencing is neither a kde bug nor a
    > > Slackware bug.
    > >

    >
    > First of all: I don't want to accuse anybody. I upgraded as well as I could,
    > and I just want to find out what I should have done instead...


    Sounds like you used 'installpkg' where you should have used
    'upgradepkg'. If you use upgradepkg, the old files are deleted
    automatically.

    In general it's very important to follow the instructions in UPGRADE.TXT
    exactly, and in the given order, unless you know precisely what you're
    doing.

    At this point, now that you've copied old libraries where new ones
    should be, I would anticipate further problems and it sounds like you'd
    be best off reinstalling from scratch, or at least reinstalling all your
    KDE packages (upgradepkg --reinstall /mnt/cdrom/slackware/kde/*.tgz).

    - Martijn

  11. Re: Konqueror under Slack 12

    Martijn Dekker wrote:

    > [posted & mailed by request]
    >
    > In article <46a11af3$0$322$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    > jjg wrote:
    >
    >> Robby Workman wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> >> But how come the new Slack12 libraries give this strange message, and
    >> >> the old Slack11 libs work?
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > The problem seems to be that you have both old and new libraries
    >> > present
    >> > on your system. This should not be the case. Either you upgraded
    >> > improperly (i.e. not following the directions) or you did something
    >> > else that caused older kde libraries and such to be present on your
    >> > system. In essence, the "bug" you are experiencing is neither a kde bug
    >> > nor a Slackware bug.
    >> >

    >>
    >> First of all: I don't want to accuse anybody. I upgraded as well as I
    >> could, and I just want to find out what I should have done instead...

    >
    > Sounds like you used 'installpkg' where you should have used
    > 'upgradepkg'. If you use upgradepkg, the old files are deleted
    > automatically.


    Well, I didn't. I booted from the Slack12 DVD, and I gave setup. In fact I
    did want a fresh install, so I think that effectively I did installpkg. And
    I am not sure whether an upgrade across kernels is possible. Anyway, I only
    wanted to retain my old data, and some library stuff as well, and I
    expected the obsolete parts would be overwritten automatically.

    >
    > In general it's very important to follow the instructions in UPGRADE.TXT
    > exactly, and in the given order, unless you know precisely what you're
    > doing.


    Well, there you have a point. If all else fails, RTFM. OK, I'll do that.

    > At this point, now that you've copied old libraries where new ones
    > should be, I would anticipate further problems


    So would I. Surprisingly, remarkably few ones have materialized so far.

    > and it sounds like you'd
    > be best off reinstalling from scratch, or at least reinstalling all your
    > KDE packages (upgradepkg --reinstall /mnt/cdrom/slackware/kde/*.tgz).
    >


    I will sure try this. Thanks!




  12. Re: Konqueror under Slack 12

    [posted & mailed by request]

    In article <46a2298a$0$337$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    jjg wrote:

    > Martijn Dekker wrote:
    >
    > > Sounds like you used 'installpkg' where you should have used
    > > 'upgradepkg'. If you use upgradepkg, the old files are deleted
    > > automatically.

    >
    > Well, I didn't. I booted from the Slack12 DVD, and I gave setup. In fact I
    > did want a fresh install, so I think that effectively I did installpkg.


    That is correct. The setup program is not suitable for upgrading an
    existing installation. Upgrading needs to be done from the command line
    following the instructions in UPGRADE.TXT. If you want to do a fresh
    install using the setup program, you need to first erase your existing
    one (only preserve your home directory). It's unfortunate that it
    doesn't make this clear.

    > And I am not sure whether an upgrade across kernels is possible.


    Yes, it is. UPGRADE.TXT provides instructions.

    > > In general it's very important to follow the instructions in UPGRADE.TXT
    > > exactly, and in the given order, unless you know precisely what you're
    > > doing.

    >
    > Well, there you have a point. If all else fails, RTFM. OK, I'll do that.


    Good luck

    > > At this point, now that you've copied old libraries where new ones
    > > should be, I would anticipate further problems

    >
    > So would I. Surprisingly, remarkably few ones have materialized so far.


    That's probably because KDE has only gone through a few minor point
    upgrades since Slackware 11.0.

    > > and it sounds like you'd
    > > be best off reinstalling from scratch, or at least reinstalling all your
    > > KDE packages (upgradepkg --reinstall /mnt/cdrom/slackware/kde/*.tgz).

    >
    > I will sure try this. Thanks!


    You're welcome. On second thought, I think you can maybe still salvage
    your installation by following the instructions in UPGRADE.TXT. Or at
    least you'll learn something while trying. Once again, good luck.

    - Martijn

+ Reply to Thread