Slack 12.0 and KDE - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack 12.0 and KDE - Slackware ; Just wondering if there is a way to install the KDE packages to /opt instead of the default 12.0 location of /usr/bin. My partition doesn't have enough space for this. I'm pretty sure there isn't an easy way to do ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Slack 12.0 and KDE

    Just wondering if there is a way to install the KDE packages to /opt
    instead of the default 12.0 location of /usr/bin. My partition doesn't
    have enough space for this.

    I'm pretty sure there isn't an easy way to do this other than to
    recompile KDE.

    Any comments, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

    TIA

    MG

  2. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    mg trolled:
    >Just wondering if there is a way to install the KDE packages to /opt
    >instead of the default 12.0 location of /usr/bin. My partition doesn't
    >have enough space for this.

    >I'm pretty sure there isn't an easy way to do this other than to
    >recompile KDE.

    >Any comments, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

    Won't a link work for some of the stuff on /usr?

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.boldlygoingnowhere.org/

  3. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    mg (mg@spamdump.org) writes:
    > Just wondering if there is a way to install the KDE packages to /opt
    > instead of the default 12.0 location of /usr/bin. My partition doesn't
    > have enough space for this.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure there isn't an easy way to do this other than to
    > recompile KDE.
    >
    > Any comments, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

    So you carve out a new partition out of the spare space that you saved
    because you had so much hard disk space that you didn't know what
    to do with it so you decided not to carve it up completely rather than
    end up with too much space in one partition and not enough in another.

    Then you turn off KDE, mount the new partition somewhere temporarily
    and move the contents of /usr/bin to this new partition. Then unmount
    this new partition, and edit /etc/fstab so this new partition will
    be mounted at /usr/bin.

    Linux will never notice that you have a new partition mounted there,
    instead of using space in the existing partition.

    Of course, doesn't Slackware put kde in /opt/kde? It's like that in
    Slack 10.

    Michael

  4. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    mg wrote:
    > Just wondering if there is a way to install the KDE packages to /opt
    > instead of the default 12.0 location of /usr/bin. My partition doesn't
    > have enough space for this.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure there isn't an easy way to do this other than to
    > recompile KDE.
    >
    > Any comments, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > MG

    This is how I do it. Like you, I didn't much like having "default"
    programs being installed on a different part of the tree.

    ls -l /opt
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2006-11-14 19:26 /opt -> /usr/root.opt/

    Regards

  5. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    On 2007-07-19, Michael Black wrote:

    > Of course, doesn't Slackware put kde in /opt/kde? It's like that in
    > Slack 10.

    KDE is in /usr as of Slackware 12.0.

    To the OP: yes, you'll need to recompile KDE (which will bring some
    other issues to the table - the very ones that putting kde in /usr
    avoided).

    If you've got adequate space, but not on the /usr partition, then
    you might consider LVM for future reference. If you don't have
    adequate space at all, then consider a new hard drive... :/

    RW

  6. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    Robby Workman trolled:
    >On 2007-07-19, Michael Black wrote:

    >> Of course, doesn't Slackware put kde in /opt/kde? It's like that
    >> in Slack 10.

    >KDE is in /usr as of Slackware 12.0.

    >To the OP: yes, you'll need to recompile KDE (which will bring some
    >other issues to the table - the very ones that putting kde in /usr
    >avoided).

    >If you've got adequate space, but not on the /usr partition, then
    >you might consider LVM for future reference. If you don't have
    >adequate space at all, then consider a new hard drive... :/

    As we said before, the easy option is to move some of /usr to the
    drive with space, and then put links to those files back in /usr.
    Then you will have enough space to install anything else.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  7. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > KDE is in /usr as of Slackware 12.0.

    So, now we go *back* to having it in /usr. It was just moved from there
    to /opt, what, 6 years ago or so, and now it is back.

    It was really annoying when it was moved to /opt because many of us had
    a small / partition, and the install would fail.

    - Kurt

  8. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    mg a écrit :
    > Just wondering if there is a way to install the KDE packages to /opt
    > instead of the default 12.0 location of /usr/bin. My partition doesn't
    > have enough space for this.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure there isn't an easy way to do this other than to
    > recompile KDE.
    >
    > Any comments, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

    Spare yourself the headache and get a new hard drive. While I'm not
    exactly doing overkill here (my main server is a reconverted PIII with
    128 MB RAM), I generally have no qualms to get rid of hardware that
    works in the sense that chickens fly and horses swim.

    Cheers,

    Niki Kovacs

  9. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    On 2007-07-19, ~kurt wrote:
    > Robby Workman wrote:
    >>

    >> KDE is in /usr as of Slackware 12.0.

    > So, now we go *back* to having it in /usr. It was just moved from there
    > to /opt, what, 6 years ago or so, and now it is back.
    >
    > It was really annoying when it was moved to /opt because many of us had
    > a small / partition, and the install would fail.

    Yeah, I was never a fan of it being in /opt either. Due to the space
    issues (and this persists even now since OpenOffice.org goes to /opt),
    I did this:

    mkdir /usr/opt
    mv /opt/* /usr/opt
    echo '/usr/opt /opt none bind' >> /etc/fstab
    mount /opt

    Since /usr is normally a large partition that holds the same type of
    data as /opt, this makes more sense to me anyway.

    RW

  10. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    On 2007-07-19, Robby Workman wrote:

    > mkdir /usr/opt
    > mv /opt/* /usr/opt
    > echo '/usr/opt /opt none bind' >> /etc/fstab
    > mount /opt

    This seems inelegant. Why not just make a symlink?

    cd /
    ln -s /usr/opt

    It's also slightly easier to undo: you could end up with open files in
    /opt, thus needing to kill those programs before umounting /opt.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  11. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    Keith Keller trolled:
    >On 2007-07-19, Robby Workman wrote:
    >>
    >> mkdir /usr/opt
    >> mv /opt/* /usr/opt
    >> echo '/usr/opt /opt none bind' >> /etc/fstab
    >> mount /opt

    >This seems inelegant. Why not just make a symlink?

    We already made that suggestion. Twice in fact. And it was
    ignored, apparently. We think the OP wants an excuse to buy a new
    hard drive.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  12. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    On 2007-07-19, Keith Keller wrote:
    > On 2007-07-19, Robby Workman wrote:
    >>
    >> mkdir /usr/opt
    >> mv /opt/* /usr/opt
    >> echo '/usr/opt /opt none bind' >> /etc/fstab
    >> mount /opt

    > This seems inelegant. Why not just make a symlink?
    >
    > cd /
    > ln -s /usr/opt
    >
    > It's also slightly easier to undo: you could end up with open files in
    > /opt, thus needing to kill those programs before umounting /opt.

    It is indeed easier to undo, but since I don't plan to undo, that's
    not an issue, right? :-)
    I don't recall specific examples, but I have run across some things
    that don't "do the right thing" with regard to directory symlinks
    when it expects a "real" directory, so to avoid that possibility,
    I elected to use the bind mount.

    RW

  13. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    On 2007-07-19, Robby Workman wrote:

    > It is indeed easier to undo, but since I don't plan to undo, that's
    > not an issue, right? :-)

    Famous last words.... ;-)

    > I don't recall specific examples, but I have run across some things
    > that don't "do the right thing" with regard to directory symlinks
    > when it expects a "real" directory, so to avoid that possibility,
    > I elected to use the bind mount.

    I may be completely offbase here, but I seem to recall checkinstall used
    to have some issues with symlinks. I haven't used it in a very long
    time, though, so I could be completely wrong.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  14. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    Roger Manyard wrote:

    > We already made that suggestion. Twice in fact. And it was
    > ignored, apparently. We think the OP wants an excuse to buy a new
    > hard drive.

    Right now, you remind me of Bart Simpson who was craving attention, trying
    everything he could to get it, but no one noticed because they were so used
    to tuning him out....

    - Kurt

  15. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    ~kurt trolled:
    >Roger Manyard wrote:

    >> We already made that suggestion. Twice in fact. And it was
    >> ignored, apparently. We think the OP wants an excuse to buy a
    >> new hard drive.

    >Right now, you remind me of Bart Simpson who was craving attention,
    >trying everything he could to get it, but no one noticed because
    >they were so used to tuning him out....

    Who is Bart Simpson? And why was he being tuned out by everyone but
    you?

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.bounceme.net

  16. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    mg wrote:
    > Just wondering if there is a way to install the KDE packages to /opt
    > instead of the default 12.0 location of /usr/bin. My partition doesn't
    > have enough space for this.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure there isn't an easy way to do this other than to
    > recompile KDE.
    >
    > Any comments, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > MG

    Thanks for all the responses. It seems like some folks like having KDE
    installed on /usr more than others. Just as a personal preference, I
    prefer to keep stuff like KDE, Openoffice etc., on /opt which is mounted
    as a separate partition on my system. BTW, I'm a running Slackware 12.0
    on my laptop and I'm not looking to replace my HD.

    From the responses, it seems like moving /usr/bin to a partition with
    more space, then symlinking and installing KDE etc is one way to get
    around the space issue. I may try this later. It is more likely that I
    will compile KDE/QT for /opt if I decide it has something I need.

    As a work around, I uninstalled KDE & QT from the 12.0 install and went
    back to the 11.0 KDE (already installed to /opt) with 11.0 QT. It runs
    without any problems.

    -- MG

  17. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    mg wrote:

    > Thanks for all the responses. It seems like some folks like having KDE
    > installed on /usr more than others. Just as a personal preference, I
    > prefer to keep stuff like KDE, Openoffice etc., on /opt which is mounted
    > as a separate partition on my system. BTW, I'm a running Slackware 12.0
    > on my laptop and I'm not looking to replace my HD.

    I could care less where it gets put myself - /opt made sense enough
    since I work on Solaris boxes too.

    I just wish there was some kind of warning. "Hey, this big huge
    package - well, we moved it over here now...."

    - Kurt

  18. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    ~kurt wrote:

    > I just wish there was some kind of warning. "Hey, this big huge
    > package - well, we moved it over here now...."

    well it's been in the "standards" documented by FreeDesktop.Org for quite
    some time... I'm not saying I agree though... the clutter in /usr is just
    even more "cluttered" with kde and Xorg in there..

  19. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:44:40 +0000, Roger Manyard trolled:

    >>This seems inelegant. Why not just make a symlink?

    > We already made that suggestion. Twice in fact. And it was
    > ignored, apparently.

    Everything you write is ignored, troll. I may be one of the last
    remaining people who even bothers to read your drivel, and I do it only
    for the laughs it gives me.

    Your years of trolling and being an asshole have caught up with you, and
    pretty much all of Usenet knows you are nothing but a whiny little bitch
    troll who craves attention like a 6-year old with ADHD. You probably take
    meds for that, don't you, at least when you remember to.

    You are a pathetic little man who's only purpose in life is to troll
    Usenet newsgroups. Very very sad, indeed.

    > cordially, as always,

    Smeg off, troll.

  20. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    mg wrote:
    > As a work around, I uninstalled KDE & QT from the 12.0 install and went
    > back to the 11.0 KDE (already installed to /opt) with 11.0 QT. It runs
    > without any problems.

    Note that even in 11.0 (and before, as far as I remember) QT _was_
    already installed under /usr, as more than just KDE need it.
    So you may want to try to use the 12.0 qt anyway, otherwise you may
    break some other packages that are qt-based.

    Fron the 11.0 "qt-3.3.8" package (in "patches"):
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libqt-mt.prl
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libqt-mt.la
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libqassistantclient.prl
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libqassistantclient.a
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libqui.prl
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libqui.so.1.0.0
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libdesignercore.prl
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libdesignercore.a
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libeditor.prl
    usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libeditor.a
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast