Slack 12.0 and KDE - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack 12.0 and KDE - Slackware ; ~kurt wrote: > I just wish there was some kind of warning. "Hey, this big huge > package - well, we moved it over here now...." From the ChangeLog.txt file: Note: KDE is now being built with --prefix=/usr, not --prefix=/opt/kde. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    ~kurt wrote:
    > I just wish there was some kind of warning. "Hey, this big huge
    > package - well, we moved it over here now...."

    From the ChangeLog.txt file:
    Note: KDE is now being built with --prefix=/usr, not --prefix=/opt/kde.
    This makes it much easier to follow freedesktop.org's recommendations
    for unifying the various Linux desktops. IMO, now that X.Org has made
    --prefix=/usr the standard for X11, this is an obviously better
    place for KDE and XFce (which was always there ;-), too.
    And in CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT:
    kde/*: KDE is now built with --prefix=/usr instead of /opt/kde, so it's
    now much easier to follow the freedesktop.org standards for unifying
    all of the various Linux desktop environments.

    So don't complain Pat didn't warn you .
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  2. Re: Slack 12.0 and KDE

    Eef Hartman wrote:

    > From the ChangeLog.txt file:
    > Note: KDE is now being built with --prefix=/usr, not --prefix=/opt/kde.

    I knew someone was going to mention this....

    What I miss was this little pamphlet set of instructions that came in the
    Slackware 7.0 CD set. I'm not sure how long that booklet had been included
    in the set (my first Slackware install was 7.0), but it was *so* helpful.
    I'm pretty sure my first install of Slackware would have been much more
    difficult without the booklet - it is kind of hard to search for answers
    on the net when the computer is down.

    I don't remember it being there for later versions of Slackware (maybe
    this was a Walnut Creek thing?). But, such a little booklet would be
    a perfect place to put important things like this. Or, to just list
    the space used by, say, /, /opt, and /usr, in a full install. It did
    list how much space each package took up when installed.

    - Kurt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2