Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore - Slackware ; hello, * I upgraded to Slack 12, everything is fine, but... i can no longer switch to simple text screens with ctrl-alt-Fn. When I log in via ssh and run ps ax, I see processes tty0, tty1 and so on, ...

  1. Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    hello, *
    I upgraded to Slack 12, everything is fine, but... i can no longer switch to
    simple text screens with ctrl-alt-Fn. When I log in via ssh and run ps ax,
    I see processes tty0, tty1 and so on, so they must be there. But how do I
    get to them from X? I can't find anything relevant in the keyboard
    shortcuts menus.

  2. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:20:19 +0200, jjg wrote:

    > hello, *
    > I upgraded to Slack 12, everything is fine, but... i can no longer
    > switch to simple text screens with ctrl-alt-Fn. When I log in via ssh
    > and run ps ax, I see processes tty0, tty1 and so on, so they must be
    > there. But how do I get to them from X? I can't find anything relevant
    > in the keyboard shortcuts menus.

    You probably have option "DontVTSwitch" enabled in your xorg.conf file.
    Comment it out and restart X.

    --
    Best regards,
    Hexdump

  3. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    Hexdump wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:20:19 +0200, jjg wrote:
    >> i can no longer switch to simple text screens with ctrl-alt-Fn.

    > You probably have option "DontVTSwitch" enabled in your xorg.conf file.
    > Comment it out and restart X.

    Another way to switch to another virtual terminal is to run a command like
    "chvt 2" as root. The command "chvt 2" will give the same result as
    ctrl-alt-f2.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  4. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    Hexdump wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:20:19 +0200, jjg wrote:
    >
    >> hello, *
    >> I upgraded to Slack 12, everything is fine, but... i can no longer
    >> switch to simple text screens with ctrl-alt-Fn. When I log in via ssh
    >> and run ps ax, I see processes tty0, tty1 and so on, so they must be
    >> there. But how do I get to them from X? I can't find anything relevant
    >> in the keyboard shortcuts menus.

    > You probably have option "DontVTSwitch" enabled in your xorg.conf file.
    > Comment it out and restart X.

    Thanks, but it was commented out already...

  5. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > Hexdump wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:20:19 +0200, jjg wrote:
    >>> i can no longer switch to simple text screens with ctrl-alt-Fn.

    >> You probably have option "DontVTSwitch" enabled in your xorg.conf file.
    >> Comment it out and restart X.

    > Another way to switch to another virtual terminal is to run a command like
    > "chvt 2" as root. The command "chvt 2" will give the same result as
    > ctrl-alt-f2.
    >
    > regards Henrik

    That works. Thanks. However, I would still like to re-enable the keys...
    well, perhaps I can attach a script to them...

  6. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

  7. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    Blumf wrote:
    [...]
    > Check your /etc/inittab file, there's a section like this:

    [...]
    yes, that section is present, and identical....

    > The second bunch of numbers (1235) show's which runlevels have a
    > terminal associated with which ++F? key combo, in this case,
    > in runlevel 4 (X login) only F6 is attached.

    ....however, in that case I would expect at least C-A-F6 to work-- it
    doesn't.

  8. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    On 2007-07-19, jjg wrote:
    > hello, *
    > I upgraded to Slack 12, everything is fine, but... i can no longer switch to
    > simple text screens with ctrl-alt-Fn.

    Something must have been changed during the update. This key combo
    works as usual with a fresh 12 install. Don't forget, C-A-Fn in Slack
    has traditionally only worked on the left side of kybrd. Did you
    perhaps change your old config to work from the right side and the
    upgrade changed it back to the original? Just a thought.

    nb

  9. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    notbob wrote:

    > On 2007-07-19, jjg wrote:
    >> hello, *
    >> I upgraded to Slack 12, everything is fine, but... i can no longer switch
    >> to simple text screens with ctrl-alt-Fn.

    > Something must have been changed during the update. This key combo
    > works as usual with a fresh 12 install. Don't forget, C-A-Fn in Slack
    > has traditionally only worked on the left side of kybrd. Did you
    > perhaps change your old config to work from the right side and the
    > upgrade changed it back to the original? Just a thought.
    >
    > nb

    Well, as a matter of fact, I renamed all .kde* subdirs, in order to get a
    completely fresh config. Next, I moved .kde/share/apps back, in order to
    regain my mail and other directories. So, i think, my config is fairly
    fresh. Moreover, other users on my machine have the same problem/

  10. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    jjg wrote:
    > Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >> Another way to switch to another virtual terminal is to run a command
    >> like "chvt 2" as root. The command "chvt 2" will give the same result
    >> as ctrl-alt-f2.

    > That works. Thanks. However, I would still like to re-enable the keys...
    > well, perhaps I can attach a script to them...

    Ok, once you are at another virtual text terminal you can check if you now
    are able to use ctrl-f3 or ctrl-alt-f3 to switch to another virtual
    terminal. If it still doesn't work even though you are at a text console I
    would guess that you have some weird keyboard mapping. One place to start
    debugging might be /etc/rc.d/rc.keymap. Other useful tools might be
    loadkeys and dumpkeys.

    If everything works fine from text consoles you should try to find out why
    the keyboard doesn't work as expected in X. Useful tools might be the X
    log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, the configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and the event debugger "xev" which is able to display keyboard events.
    Another useful tool for this might be xmodmap. You can use xmodmap to
    remap keys by giving it a file name as an argument. You can also use
    "xmodmap -pke" to display your current settings.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  11. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > jjg wrote:
    >> Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >>> Another way to switch to another virtual terminal is to run a command
    >>> like "chvt 2" as root. The command "chvt 2" will give the same result
    >>> as ctrl-alt-f2.

    >> That works. Thanks. However, I would still like to re-enable the keys...
    >> well, perhaps I can attach a script to them...

    > Ok, once you are at another virtual text terminal you can check if you now
    > are able to use ctrl-f3 or ctrl-alt-f3 to switch to another virtual
    > terminal.

    yes, I had already discovered that that works. Moreover, once I have logged
    in on a TTY, I can go back to X (ctrl-F7) and use Switch users-- the
    logged-in TTY is then in the list.
    [...]
    > If everything works fine from text consoles you should try to find out why
    > the keyboard doesn't work as expected in X. Useful tools might be the X
    > log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, the configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    > and the event debugger "xev" which is able to display keyboard events.
    > Another useful tool for this might be xmodmap. You can use xmodmap to
    > remap keys by giving it a file name as an argument. You can also use
    > "xmodmap -pke" to display your current settings.
    >
    > regards Henrik

    thanks for your advice. I'll try it tomorrow (going to bed right now :-)

  12. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    On 2007-07-19, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > Ok, once you are at another virtual text terminal you can check if you now
    > are able to use ctrl-f3 or ctrl-alt-f3 to switch to another virtual
    > terminal. If it still doesn't work even though you are at a text console I
    > would guess that you have some weird keyboard mapping. One place to start
    > debugging might be /etc/rc.d/rc.keymap. Other useful tools might be
    > loadkeys and dumpkeys.
    >
    > If everything works fine from text consoles you should try to find out why
    > the keyboard doesn't work as expected in X. Useful tools might be the X
    > log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, the configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    > and the event debugger "xev" which is able to display keyboard events.
    > Another useful tool for this might be xmodmap. You can use xmodmap to
    > remap keys by giving it a file name as an argument. You can also use
    > "xmodmap -pke" to display your current settings.

    Very helpful info. I've still yet to figure out why my alt key for
    A-right/left arrow and A-bckspc do not work in jed. Thanks for the
    leads.

    nb

  13. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > jjg wrote:
    >> Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >>> Another way to switch to another virtual terminal is to run a command
    >>> like "chvt 2" as root. The command "chvt 2" will give the same result
    >>> as ctrl-alt-f2.

    >> That works. Thanks. However, I would still like to re-enable the keys...
    >> well, perhaps I can attach a script to them...

    > Ok, once you are at another virtual text terminal you can check if you now
    > are able to use ctrl-f3 or ctrl-alt-f3 to switch to another virtual
    > terminal. If it still doesn't work even though you are at a text console I
    > would guess that you have some weird keyboard mapping. One place to start
    > debugging might be /etc/rc.d/rc.keymap. Other useful tools might be
    > loadkeys and dumpkeys.
    >
    > If everything works fine from text consoles you should try to find out why
    > the keyboard doesn't work as expected in X. Useful tools might be the X
    > log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, the configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    > and the event debugger "xev" which is able to display keyboard events.
    > Another useful tool for this might be xmodmap. You can use xmodmap to
    > remap keys by giving it a file name as an argument. You can also use
    > "xmodmap -pke" to display your current settings.
    >
    > regards Henrik

    The logfile does not show anything when I press CTRL-ALT-Fn; I will have a
    look at the entire file after. The xev gives:

    KeyPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    root 0x3e, subw 0x0, time 3798037721, (-477,314), root276,339),
    state 0x0, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

    KeyPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    root 0x3e, subw 0x0, time 3798037736, (-477,314), root276,339),
    state 0x8, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

    KeyPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    root 0x3e, subw 0x0, time 3798039784, (-477,314), root276,339),
    state 0xc, keycode 72 (keysym 0xffc3, F6), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

    KeyRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    root 0x3e, subw 0x0, time 3798039838, (-478,314), root275,339),
    state 0xc, keycode 72 (keysym 0xffc3, F6), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

    KeyRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    root 0x3e, subw 0x0, time 3798040034, (-478,314), root275,339),
    state 0xc, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

    KeyRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    root 0x3e, subw 0x0, time 3798040059, (-478,314), root275,339),
    state 0x4, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

    .... all on a single keypress. I would think that XlookupString is crucial,
    but I am not sure yet.

    BTW: if I am in a console, CTL-ALT-F1 gives a P character, F2 a Q character,
    and so on. And they are plain ordinary characters, if I press TAB, it is
    completed to Pnews...

  14. Re: Slack 12: CTRL-ALT-Fn does not seem to work anymore

    jjg wrote:
    > The xev gives:
    >
    > KeyPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    > root 0x3e, subw 0x0, time 3798037721, (-477,314), root276,339),
    > state 0x0, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    > XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    > XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    > XFilterEvent returns: False
    >
    > KeyPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    > root 0x3e, subw 0x0, time 3798037736, (-477,314), root276,339),
    > state 0x8, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
    > XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    > XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    > XFilterEvent returns: False
    >
    > KeyPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    > root 0x3e, subw 0x0, time 3798039784, (-477,314), root276,339),
    > state 0xc, keycode 72 (keysym 0xffc3, F6), same_screen YES,
    > XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    > XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    > XFilterEvent returns: False

    I tried that and got:

    KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 278677232, (109,110), root119,190),
    state 0x0, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

    KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 278680376, (109,110), root119,190),
    state 0x4, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

    VisibilityNotify event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    state VisibilityFullyObscured

    VisibilityNotify event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    state VisibilityUnobscured

    Expose event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    (0,0), width 178, height 10, count 3

    Expose event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    (0,10), width 10, height 58, count 2

    Expose event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    (68,10), width 110, height 58, count 1

    Expose event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    (0,68), width 178, height 110, count 0

    KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 278692368, (109,110), root119,190),
    state 0xc, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:

    KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 278692368, (109,110), root119,190),
    state 0x8, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:

    So, for me with working terminal switching xev never displayed the F6 key
    press. Instead, the pressing of that key resulted in switching to another
    virtual console.

    Another interesting thing to compare:

    xmodmap -pke | grep F
    keycode 41 = f F dstroke ordfeminine dstroke ordfeminine
    keycode 63 = KP_Multiply XF86_ClearGrab
    keycode 67 = F1 XF86_Switch_VT_1
    keycode 68 = F2 XF86_Switch_VT_2
    keycode 69 = F3 XF86_Switch_VT_3
    keycode 70 = F4 XF86_Switch_VT_4
    keycode 71 = F5 XF86_Switch_VT_5
    keycode 72 = F6 XF86_Switch_VT_6
    keycode 73 = F7 XF86_Switch_VT_7
    keycode 74 = F8 XF86_Switch_VT_8
    keycode 75 = F9 XF86_Switch_VT_9
    keycode 76 = F10 XF86_Switch_VT_10
    keycode 82 = KP_Subtract XF86_Prev_VMode
    keycode 86 = KP_Add XF86_Next_VMode
    keycode 95 = F11 XF86_Switch_VT_11
    keycode 96 = F12 XF86_Switch_VT_12
    keycode 112 = KP_Divide XF86_Ungrab

    Above you can see that the same keys that are used for function keys are
    also used for virtual terminal switching. The above output is from X.org
    6.8.0, but I don't think it has changed with newer X.org.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread