unable to boot after migration to another partition - Slackware

This is a discussion on unable to boot after migration to another partition - Slackware ; I've migrated my system using a ghost image. On the new system, Slack is in /dev/hda4. On the old it was /dev/hda3. Booting from a grub CD (or a Loadlin floppy), the boot process begins, but ends with the error ...

  1. unable to boot after migration to another partition

    I've migrated my system using a ghost image. On the new system, Slack
    is in /dev/hda4. On the old it was /dev/hda3. Booting from a grub CD
    (or a Loadlin floppy), the boot process begins, but ends with the
    error : The reiserfs system block cannot be found on /dev/hda3.

    Note that it's looking in hda3 rather than 4. The grub commands I use
    are as follows, and grub indicates it finds the reiserfs system where
    I specify it:

    root (hd0,3)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root = /dev/hda4 ro
    boot

    The error message suggests I should rebuild the superblock, but that
    seems pointless if it's looking for it in the wrong place. Is there a
    config file I could edit with a live CD, to get this straightened out?

  2. Re: unable to boot after migration to another partition

    rufovillosum@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I've migrated my system using a ghost image. On the new system, Slack
    > is in /dev/hda4. On the old it was /dev/hda3. Booting from a grub CD
    > (or a Loadlin floppy), the boot process begins, but ends with the
    > error : The reiserfs system block cannot be found on /dev/hda3.
    >
    > Note that it's looking in hda3 rather than 4. The grub commands I use
    > are as follows, and grub indicates it finds the reiserfs system where
    > I specify it:
    >
    > root (hd0,3)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root = /dev/hda4 ro
    > boot

    During the boot process, the Slackware startup scripts will attempt to
    remount the file system as read/write. The mount command uses fstab to
    determine the location of root, and fstab probably still points to
    /dev/hda3.

    Try mounting the root file system as read/write from the start (change
    "ro" to "rw"). This will result in an error message from the startup
    script, but the system will boot and you can edit /etc/fstab to reflect
    the new partition structure.

  3. Re: unable to boot after migration to another partition

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 06:18:23 -0700, rufovillosum@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I've migrated my system using a ghost image. On the new system, Slack
    > is in /dev/hda4. On the old it was /dev/hda3. Booting from a grub CD
    > (or a Loadlin floppy), the boot process begins, but ends with the
    > error : The reiserfs system block cannot be found on /dev/hda3.
    >
    > Note that it's looking in hda3 rather than 4. The grub commands I use
    > are as follows, and grub indicates it finds the reiserfs system where
    > I specify it:
    >
    > root (hd0,3)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root = /dev/hda4 ro
    > boot
    >
    > The error message suggests I should rebuild the superblock, but that
    > seems pointless if it's looking for it in the wrong place. Is there a
    > config file I could edit with a live CD, to get this straightened out?

    Are you typing the kernel line just as it appears above, that is,
    with the spaces between the root directive. If so, then ake them out.

    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 ro

    BTW, IIRC, grub can boot with reiserfs only when installed on the
    MBR. Also, a live CD is not required. IIRC, the grub boot CD can modify
    the disk's bootloader components.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  4. Re: unable to boot after migration to another partition

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:27:10 +0200, KR wrote:

    > rufovillosum@yahoo.com wrote:

    > During the boot process, the Slackware startup scripts will attempt to
    > remount the file system as read/write. The mount command uses fstab to
    > determine the location of root, and fstab probably still points to
    > /dev/hda3.

    I agree that /etc/fstab needs to be fixed. This is more likely to be the
    solution to you problem than my answer on this thread. Oops.

    > Try mounting the root file system as read/write from the start (change
    > "ro" to "rw"). This will result in an error message from the startup
    > script, but the system will boot and you can edit /etc/fstab to reflect
    > the new partition structure.

    Fixing /etc/fstab is definitely high on the checklist for restoring
    backups to a partition different than where they had previously existed.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  5. Re: unable to boot after migration to another partition

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 06:18:23 -0700, rufovillosum@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I've migrated my system using a ghost image. On the new system, Slack
    > is in /dev/hda4. On the old it was /dev/hda3. Booting from a grub CD
    > (or a Loadlin floppy), the boot process begins, but ends with the
    > error : The reiserfs system block cannot be found on /dev/hda3.
    >
    > Note that it's looking in hda3 rather than 4. The grub commands I use
    > are as follows, and grub indicates it finds the reiserfs system where
    > I specify it:
    >
    > root (hd0,3)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root = /dev/hda4 ro
    > boot
    >
    > The error message suggests I should rebuild the superblock, but that
    > seems pointless if it's looking for it in the wrong place. Is there a
    > config file I could edit with a live CD, to get this straightened out?

    edit /etc/fstab

    edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (assuming you are using grub)

    rewrite the mbr

  6. Re: unable to boot after migration to another partition

    rufovillosum@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I've migrated my system using a ghost image. On the new system, Slack
    > is in /dev/hda4. On the old it was /dev/hda3. Booting from a grub CD
    > (or a Loadlin floppy), the boot process begins, but ends with the
    > error : The reiserfs system block cannot be found on /dev/hda3.
    >
    > Note that it's looking in hda3 rather than 4. The grub commands I use
    > are as follows, and grub indicates it finds the reiserfs system where
    > I specify it:
    >
    > root (hd0,3)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root = /dev/hda4 ro
    > boot
    >
    > The error message suggests I should rebuild the superblock, but that
    > seems pointless if it's looking for it in the wrong place. Is there a
    > config file I could edit with a live CD, to get this straightened out?

    A few weeks ago I had to do something simular: cloning a centos-linux
    system whith symantec ghost. 'Restoring' the ghost image created
    partitions for / and /home where the original used logical volumes.
    So the device names for / and /home were different on the clone.

    Booting with a life CD allowed me to edit the grub menu and
    /etc/fstab. After that I could boot, at least in runlevel 1. I don't
    remenber whether the normal boot process worked, but I needed to
    build new initrd's for all installed kernels to get rid of the
    last errors/warnings during the boot process.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  7. Re: unable to boot after migration to another partition

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 07:50:50 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > Fixing /etc/fstab is definitely high on the checklist for restoring
    > backups to a partition different than where they had previously existed.

    LOL! Yeah, I guess :-)

    I do this stuff a lot as I'm always moving stuff or trying different
    distros.

    For this I use a Slax Live CD. It makes it a very fast process and Slax
    has just the tools Im like - mc, jed, cfdisk, etc...Even KDE and X.

    Oh for those that don't know how...

    Boot CD

    chroot /dev/XYZ #XYZ is the root you need to modify
    source /etc/profile

    Now edit fstab and lilo.conf

    /sbin/lilo -v -t

    if all looks good