Printing problem driving me nutz - Slackware

This is a discussion on Printing problem driving me nutz - Slackware ; Well I've tried about everything imaginable to get Slack 11 to print to printers on the network. Every other aspect of my 2 machine LAN operates perfectly. Top recap quickly I have a HP500C on one machine and a HP5440 ...

  1. Printing problem driving me nutz

    Well I've tried about everything imaginable to get Slack 11 to print to
    printers on the network. Every other aspect of my 2 machine LAN operates
    perfectly.

    Top recap quickly I have a HP500C on one machine and a HP5440 on the
    other. With 10.2 there is no problem printing to each others printer
    across the network.

    I just did a sanity test (As I thought I was losing it). I have backup
    copies of 10.2 for both machines on removable HD. I just plugged the
    backup 10.2's on both machines, edited fstab and lilo.conf so I could
    boot them up and run a test.

    With 10.2 booted both machines printed perfectly locally and across the
    network to both printers, as expected.

    I'm about out of ideas to try and the last gasp would be to rip out
    CUPS, HPIJS, and Gimp-Print and build source packages, which would be a
    hell of a lot of work.

    Before I try that does anyone have any ideas. If the system files are OK
    then it could only be the configuration. I've had strange problems like
    this before that turned out to be an unseen high ASCII character in the
    config files that somehow crept in.

    I've always been able just to copy /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and
    /etc/samba/smb.conf over and use them, however even using the ipp
    protoocal fails so samba is sort of a moot issue.

    This time however I didn't do that and instead opened the old and new
    config files in a dual pane editor and entered the changes by hand.

    Two questions:

    1) Do you think it's worth a try copying the 10.2 files I mentioned over
    into 11 on both machines?

    2) On smbpasswd: I forgot how that works. When I run that do I enter the
    password for the machine I'm working on or do I enter the password for
    the remote machine? The man page is not clear on that and I recall that
    causing me some confusion.

    See I ran 10.2 for so long without any problems I haven't had to
    configure this in almost 2 years so I forgotten some of the details.

    I'm open to about any ideas no matter how radical at this time other
    than switching to lprng. I may do that but only after I've exhausted
    every other possibility.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:57:26 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > 2) On smbpasswd: I forgot how that works. When I run that do I enter the
    > password for the machine I'm working on or do I enter the password for the
    > remote machine? The man page is not clear on that and I recall that
    > causing me some confusion.

    If they're both Slack boxes why do you need Samba? But yes it's been
    my experience that I have needed Samba passwords set up on all
    machines wishing to share printers. That being said, unless you have
    Winboxen in the mix, you shouldn't need it. CUPS should work just fine,
    although you know lprng is pretty damn simple to use. I use it to let an
    old P133 laptop with OpenBSD on it to print to my network printer via lpr
    and it's braindead simple.

  3. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:57:26 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > 2) On smbpasswd: I forgot how that works. When I run that do I enter the
    > password for the machine I'm working on or do I enter the password for
    > the remote machine? The man page is not clear on that and I recall that
    > causing me some confusion.
    >
    > See I ran 10.2 for so long without any problems I haven't had to
    > configure this in almost 2 years so I forgotten some of the details.

    Sorry about your printing problems. I have just configured printers via
    the browser interface to cups; open localhost:631. I have used that method
    ever since cups replaced lprng. The rc.cups should be executable, etc.

    smbpasswd configures the local server component of samba, at the local
    host and in the /etc/samba/private directory. man smbpasswd reveals the
    "-r" switch which allows configuring the passwords on a remote box, and
    without the switch smbpasswd configures the local host. Personally, I
    would always omit the -r switch when possible, and login via ssh. The
    sequence is something like this:
    1. ssh
    2. su -
    3. smbpasswd.

    Also, swat is a tool for configuring samba via a browser interface; open
    localhost:901. (Also, verify swat is set to start in inetd.conf ) You can
    use it to verify your settings with respect to your shared printers.

    Sorry, if this is too basic. IFAIK, it should work- that is, if the
    local printer is supported by cups.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  4. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:57:26 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:
    >

    >>2) On smbpasswd: I forgot how that works. When I run that do I enter the
    >>password for the machine I'm working on or do I enter the password for
    >>the remote machine? The man page is not clear on that and I recall that
    >>causing me some confusion.
    >>
    >>See I ran 10.2 for so long without any problems I haven't had to
    >>configure this in almost 2 years so I forgotten some of the details.

    Forget about samba for now. And forget your 10.2 configuration too
    if it won't work in a few minutes. It probably faster to start
    with a fresh configuration.

    > Sorry about your printing problems. I have just configured printers via
    > the browser interface to cups; open localhost:631. I have used that method
    > ever since cups replaced lprng. The rc.cups should be executable, etc.

    First just try to configure the local printers on both systems. It's
    useless to try to access the printers via the network before local
    access is functioning properly.

    After that configure cups to listen on the network and not just on
    localhost (127.0.0.1). Using the cups web interface confugure sharing
    of the printers and accessing the remote printers. Access the remote
    printers using the ipp protocol.

    If, and only if, the previous steps are working _and_ you still need
    to access the printers using the smb-protocol you might start thinking
    about configuring samba for printing.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  5. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:21:19 +0200, Kees Theunissen wrote:

    > Forget about samba for now. And forget your 10.2 configuration too if
    > it
    > won't work in a few minutes. It probably faster to start with a fresh
    > configuration.

    Samba works fine except for remote printing and that won't work with a
    my protocol

    > First just try to configure the local printers on both systems. It's
    > useless to try to access the printers via the network before local access
    > is functioning properly.

    Both printers work fine printing locally, i.e., o the machine they are
    attached to.

    > After that configure cups to listen on the network and not just on
    > localhost (127.0.0.1). Using the cups web interface configure sharing
    > of
    > the printers and accessing the remote printers. Access the remote printers
    > using the ipp protocol.

    As I said this is where I am stuck at. I add the printers, and I know
    the IPP's are correct but no go.

    Let me clear something up. I have indeed set up CUPS again several
    times when testing another distro or just when mucking around.

    Networked printer setups I started doing about 3 years ago for the first
    time and that is what I mean by "first set up", which involved closely
    reading the docs.

    Since then all I've had to do was a localhost:631 and printing has been
    fine. I'd change a few other settings referring to an archive of my
    previous setup and that worked fine too.

    Now for some unknown reason that procedure no longer works for me for
    printing across the network. This is where I am stuck.

    As I said when I boot both machines with their 10.2 installation
    everything works perfectly like it always did before.

    I've also tried older packages, reinstalling packages and everytime I
    get the same error, paraphrasing "Unable to get resource for remote
    printer". The jobs gets gets queued but nothing gets sent to the printer
    - The lights don't even blink.

    Unless I stumble across whatever in the hell is causing this my last
    option is to try and build a source package, which I've done before and
    it's a lot of work. It will be just my luck to go through that and still
    have the same problem.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  6. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:13:42 -0400, mr.b wrote:

    > If they're both Slack boxes why do you need Samba? But yes it's been
    > my
    > experience that I have needed Samba passwords set up on all machines
    > wishing to share printers. That being said, unless you have Winboxen in
    > the mix, you shouldn't need it. CUPS should work just fine, although you
    > know lprng is pretty damn simple to use. I use it to let an old P133
    > laptop with OpenBSD on it to print to my network printer via lpr and it's
    > braindead simple.

    Well true and I might be getting ahead of myself as the ipp protocol
    doesn't work when Slack 11 speaks to Slack 11. But it was something I
    ran across and thought I'd added to my "Tips" file but hadn't. I'm glad
    someone answered that.

    Here's the actual setup on two machines named CRAY and HAL.

    CRAY (Main machine): W31/DOS, W2K, Slack 11, Slack 12, Suse 10.1 with HP
    5440 attached and Slack 10.2 available via removable HD.

    HAL: W98SE, W2K, Slack 11 with HP500C and 10.2 available via removable
    HD.

    Side note: I really would like to get a HP D4160 from Newegg (like $70).
    My 5440 is a dual tank printer but it has a small (5ML) black cartridge
    and the HP500C is a bit old :-) the D4160 has a black tank over twice
    the size.

    But right now I'm stuck on this problem. In fact I was ready to buy
    another printer as the amount of time I've spent on this has become
    excessive. I was hoping it was a hardware problem but apparently is not.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > Well I've tried about everything imaginable to get Slack 11 to print to
    > printers on the network. Every other aspect of my 2 machine LAN operates
    > perfectly.
    >
    > Top recap quickly I have a HP500C on one machine and a HP5440 on the
    > other. With 10.2 there is no problem printing to each others printer
    > across the network.
    >
    > I just did a sanity test (As I thought I was losing it). I have backup
    > copies of 10.2 for both machines on removable HD. I just plugged the
    > backup 10.2's on both machines, edited fstab and lilo.conf so I could
    > boot them up and run a test.
    >
    > With 10.2 booted both machines printed perfectly locally and across the
    > network to both printers, as expected.
    >
    > I'm about out of ideas to try and the last gasp would be to rip out
    > CUPS, HPIJS, and Gimp-Print and build source packages, which would be a
    > hell of a lot of work.
    >
    > Before I try that does anyone have any ideas. If the system files are OK
    > then it could only be the configuration. I've had strange problems like
    > this before that turned out to be an unseen high ASCII character in the
    > config files that somehow crept in.
    >
    > I've always been able just to copy /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and
    > /etc/samba/smb.conf over and use them, however even using the ipp
    > protoocal fails so samba is sort of a moot issue.
    >
    > This time however I didn't do that and instead opened the old and new
    > config files in a dual pane editor and entered the changes by hand.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1) Do you think it's worth a try copying the 10.2 files I mentioned over
    > into 11 on both machines?
    >
    > 2) On smbpasswd: I forgot how that works. When I run that do I enter the
    > password for the machine I'm working on or do I enter the password for
    > the remote machine? The man page is not clear on that and I recall that
    > causing me some confusion.
    >
    > See I ran 10.2 for so long without any problems I haven't had to
    > configure this in almost 2 years so I forgotten some of the details.
    >
    > I'm open to about any ideas no matter how radical at this time other
    > than switching to lprng. I may do that but only after I've exhausted
    > every other possibility.

    Dude,
    Rather than drive yourself nuts, take a close look at your working 10.2 config files.
    Are you sure its all set up correctly on 11 (or 12)? is you are using host names
    do you have a /etc/hosts entry or nameserver running to resolve the IP address? Take
    a look at:

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Linux_p...ring_with_CUPS

    I prefer slackware over Gentoo, but they have one kick ass documentation system.

    Also, for my application (laptops and desktops scattered around the house via
    802.11g), I decided it was easier to put all the printers in one office and attach
    either Dlink DP301P+ or 301U (for lpt and USB printers, respectively). Then just
    config CUPS to print (via KDE utility 'cause I got lazy) to

    lpd://dlink_IP/dlink_queue_name

    on the various Slack 12 installs. I had only one small issue: when configuring via
    localhost:631 CUPS kept miscofiguring the "quota" settings so that I would get "quoto
    exceeded" errors on printing. Using the KDE gui fixed that issue.

    BTW the Dlink DP-301P+ was on sale for $10 US after rebates at CompUSA for those in
    the USA.

  8. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:21:19 +0200, Kees Theunissen wrote:
    >
    >> Forget about samba for now. And forget your 10.2 configuration too if
    >> it
    >> won't work in a few minutes. It probably faster to start with a fresh
    >> configuration.

    > Samba works fine except for remote printing and that won't work with a
    > my protocol
    >
    >> First just try to configure the local printers on both systems. It's
    >> useless to try to access the printers via the network before local access
    >> is functioning properly.

    > Both printers work fine printing locally, i.e., o the machine they are
    > attached to.
    >
    >> After that configure cups to listen on the network and not just on
    >> localhost (127.0.0.1). Using the cups web interface configure sharing
    >> of
    >> the printers and accessing the remote printers. Access the remote printers
    >> using the ipp protocol.

    > As I said this is where I am stuck at. I add the printers, and I know
    > the IPP's are correct but no go.
    >
    > Let me clear something up. I have indeed set up CUPS again several
    > times when testing another distro or just when mucking around.
    >
    > Networked printer setups I started doing about 3 years ago for the first
    > time and that is what I mean by "first set up", which involved closely
    > reading the docs.
    >
    > Since then all I've had to do was a localhost:631 and printing has been
    > fine. I'd change a few other settings referring to an archive of my
    > previous setup and that worked fine too.
    >
    > Now for some unknown reason that procedure no longer works for me for
    > printing across the network. This is where I am stuck.
    >
    > As I said when I boot both machines with their 10.2 installation
    > everything works perfectly like it always did before.

    This is starting to puzzle me!

    My desktop PC is a Pentium 4 with Slackware 11.0 and with a HP PSC2175
    printer connected. I have a spare Pentium 2 system that, since at least
    two years now, is going to replace my 80486 nameserver/mailserver
    "really soon". I want to install slack 12.0 on that P2, but I'm going
    to install slack 11.0 first, just to be able to play a little with
    cups on two slack 11.0 systems.
    Give me some time.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  9. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    On 2007-07-18, Kees Theunissen wrote:

    > This is starting to puzzle me!
    >
    > My desktop PC is a Pentium 4 with Slackware 11.0 and with a HP PSC2175
    > printer connected. I have a spare Pentium 2 system that, since at least
    > two years now, is going to replace my 80486 nameserver/mailserver
    > "really soon". I want to install slack 12.0 on that P2, but I'm going
    > to install slack 11.0 first, just to be able to play a little with
    > cups on two slack 11.0 systems.
    > Give me some time.

    Well, I know this doesn't help the OP much (sorry, Ron), but...
    I've had network printing using a stock 12.0 box and a PSC1209,
    and now I've got it working with both the PSC1209 and an HP
    LaserJet 1022, but these are using HPLIP-2.7.6.

    RW

  10. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:21:22 +0200, Kees Theunissen wrote:

    >> Now for some unknown reason that procedure no longer works for me for
    >> printing across the network. This is where I am stuck.

    >> As I said when I boot both machines with their 10.2 installation
    >> everything works perfectly like it always did before.

    > This is starting to puzzle me!

    Well I got some good news. I finally was able to print to to the Slack
    11 over the network. I did fudge a bit by using 10.2 as the client and
    11 was the server in this test case.

    And thank God as I was about to start compiling CUPS and HPIJS/HPLIP

    > My desktop PC is a Pentium 4 with Slackware 11.0 and with a HP PSC2175
    > printer connected. I have a spare Pentium 2 system that, since at least
    > two years now, is going to replace my 80486 nameserver/mailserver "really
    > soon". I want to install slack 12.0 on that P2, but I'm going to install
    > slack 11.0 first, just to be able to play a little with cups on two slack
    > 11.0 systems.

    Here is what caused me the problem. Even though the same version of CUPS
    is used with 10.2 and 11 the file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf is all rearranged
    and has entries that the one used in 10.2 didn't.

    I went through 2 painful hours using the 10.2 file as a reference to set
    up the 11 file.

    Initially it still failed and there are no docs explaingin the new
    settings and little to nothing on the old settings.

    There used to be and I been working on this over a week but I couldn't
    find them.

    I got an idea. I deleted /var/log/cups/error_log. Then I'd make a change
    to cupsd.conf. Next restart cups. Then I'd refer to the newly generated
    error log.

    Finally I discovered that the Listen Ports were causing the problem (and
    a few other typo) errors. If I saw a error, I'd delete the error_log,
    change cupsd.conf and restart cups. After finally eliminating the
    Listen conflict errors it worked printing to 11 across the network.

    Now the bad part. I know people complain about Linux docs but this is
    absurd. Even the comments in cupsd.conf are misleading or absent. To
    have to resort to trial and error best guess truly sucks. man cupsd.conf
    is also useless.

    I don't recall this in the past and my bet is this is the beginning of
    Apple killing CUPS for Linux.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  11. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:57:07 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

    > Well, I know this doesn't help the OP much (sorry, Ron), but... I've
    > had
    > network printing using a stock 12.0 box and a PSC1209, and now I've got it
    > working with both the PSC1209 and an HP LaserJet 1022, but these are using
    > HPLIP-2.7.6.

    It's cool. I've made a major breakthrough. One machine now works and I
    should get the other squared away tomorrow now that I've isolated the
    problem I was having.

    Did you isolate a cause of the problem?

    PS: Football season is about to start and I shift my spare time more to
    enjoying that so I'm sure glad I'm about squared away. I think I'll
    stick with 11 (default OS) for at least 6 months and maybe install 12 to
    slowly get up to speed.

    Damn I'm tired.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  12. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    On 2007-07-19, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > Well I got some good news. I finally was able to print to to the Slack
    > 11 over the network. I did fudge a bit by using 10.2 as the client and
    > 11 was the server in this test case.
    >
    > And thank God as I was about to start compiling CUPS and HPIJS/HPLIP

    Well, that's not so bad either ;-)

    > Here is what caused me the problem. Even though the same version of CUPS
    > is used with 10.2 and 11 the file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf is all rearranged
    > and has entries that the one used in 10.2 didn't.
    >
    > SNIPPAGE
    >
    > Finally I discovered that the Listen Ports were causing the problem (and
    > a few other typo) errors. If I saw a error, I'd delete the error_log,
    > change cupsd.conf and restart cups. After finally eliminating the
    > Listen conflict errors it worked printing to 11 across the network.

    Ah yes, I recall fighting that battle too now that you mention it.
    It never even crossed my mind - I assumed you were starting from a
    fresh cups config (although I guess you were, and just used the "old"
    syntax for the edits). I seem to recall that being *unofficially*
    documented somewhere (as in, a forum or newsgroup posting or something
    along those lines), but who knows - that's been a while...

    > Now the bad part. I know people complain about Linux docs but this is
    > absurd. Even the comments in cupsd.conf are misleading or absent. To
    > have to resort to trial and error best guess truly sucks. man cupsd.conf
    > is also useless.
    >
    > I don't recall this in the past and my bet is this is the beginning of
    > Apple killing CUPS for Linux.

    Well, I'm not much for conspiracy theories, especially since this config
    change predates the Apple involvement, but the rest of it is "spot on."

    RW

  13. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    On 2007-07-19, Robby Workman wrote:

    > Well, I know this doesn't help the OP much (sorry, Ron), but...
    > I've had network printing using a stock 12.0 box and a PSC1209,
    > and now I've got it working with both the PSC1209 and an HP
    > LaserJet 1022, but these are using HPLIP-2.7.6.

    I'll reply to myself, just in case anyone searches for information
    on getting a LaserJet 1022 to print over the network from Windows
    to Linux (maybe that will trigger it in google) [1]: you'll need
    to tell the Windows box to use RAW mode and uncomment the raw
    filter in /etc/cups/mime.convs:
    application/octet-stream application/vnd.cups-raw

    [1] A google search for printing problems invariably turns up
    *lots* of hits with people having trouble printing *to*
    a Windows box, but very few of them printing *from* a
    Windows box. That's my experience anyway :-)

    RW

  14. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > I don't recall this in the past and my bet is this is the beginning of
    > Apple killing CUPS for Linux.

    No, because THAT version of CUPS was issued long before Apple took
    over the software.

    The problem is often that rpc takes over ports that cups (of whatever)
    will need later on, the order things are started in rc.M (and rc.inet2)
    isn't always the most optimal one.
    We had to resort to "fix" some rpc ports in the /etc/services file
    to make sure they weren't put on "the wrong" (read: needed later)
    ones, as rpc.portmap is started rather early in the whole bootup
    process. I forgot which ones were the problem, it's already been
    7 months since we switched to 11.0
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  15. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 05:38:32 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

    >> And thank God as I was about to start compiling CUPS and HPIJS/HPLIP

    > Well, that's not so bad either ;-)

    If I would have done that and still had the same problem the PC would
    have been thrown out the nearest window

    >> Finally I discovered that the Listen Ports were causing the problem
    >> (and
    >> a few other typo) errors. If I saw a error, I'd delete the error_log,
    >> change cupsd.conf and restart cups. After finally eliminating the Listen
    >> conflict errors it worked printing to 11 across the network.

    >> Now the bad part. I know people complain about Linux docs but this is
    >> absurd. Even the comments in cupsd.conf are misleading or absent. To
    >> have to resort to trial and error best guess truly sucks. man cupsd.conf
    >> is also useless.

    >> I don't recall this in the past and my bet is this is the beginning of
    >> Apple killing CUPS for Linux.

    > Well, I'm not much for conspiracy theories,

    Oh I am and now am working on proof that Apple was behind 911 !

    > especially since this config change predates the Apple involvement,
    > but the rest of it is "spot on."

    Well what I was referring to was many times over the past 4 years or
    so I've seen a post regarding a CUPS problem. I'd navigate over there
    and find the page explaining the problem/solution. It appeared to me at
    that time the docs were plentiful, almost too plentiful.

    But this time when I went looking I found little and what I did find was
    useless.

    Maybe it was just a matter of perception.

    Maybe it was because after a week I was foaming at the mouth.

    In any event at least I won't be howling at the moon for a bit. I was
    starting to feel like Vlad the Impaler.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  16. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    Ron Gibson a écrit :
    > Well I've tried about everything imaginable to get Slack 11 to print to
    > printers on the network. Every other aspect of my 2 machine LAN operates
    > perfectly.

    Hi,

    I've setup some print servers using CUPS recently. I spent an unnerving
    afternoon a while ago, trying to get the latest version of CUPS to print
    over the network. Finally, a guy from debian-administration.org helped
    me to find the answer (Distro-wise, I'm all for oecumenics D)

    Take a peek at my site http://linux.kikinovak.net. In the CUPS section,
    there's a working cupsd.conf. You will notice some differences with the
    previous version.

    It's in french. Tell me if you have problems understanding it.

    HTH,

    Niki

  17. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:24:37 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > Ron Gibson a écrit :
    >> Well I've tried about everything imaginable to get Slack 11 to print to
    >> printers on the network. Every other aspect of my 2 machine LAN operates
    >> perfectly.

    > I've setup some print servers using CUPS recently. I spent an unnerving
    > afternoon a while ago, trying to get the latest version of CUPS to print
    > over the network. Finally, a guy from debian-administration.org helped me
    > to find the answer (Distro-wise, I'm all for oecumenics D)

    I'm telling ya, there are some docs that I use to refer to on cups.org
    that are not there anymore. I'd bet $50 on it.

    > Take a peek at my site http://linux.kikinovak.net. In the CUPS section,
    > there's a working cupsd.conf. You will notice some differences with the
    > previous version.

    Good for you. Fortunately....wait...

    H O O R A Y !!!!

    I got it fixed completely. Both machines now print to each other and
    their own attached printers. IOW, network printing is fixed :-)

    Gad it only took me a week

    Having said that Slack 11 is really nice. I plan to use it for a while
    before going to 12.

    > It's in French. Tell me if you have problems understanding it.

    Geez, I have a hard enough time with English, but you did a nice job and
    I was able to detect several items of interest - Like why are there so
    many different ways to configure cupsd.conf and such a lack of good
    docs. BTW, if you have a friend who is fluent in both English and French
    it would be a good thing if you could get them to translate some of your
    site into English. Part of mine is in German but even though I have a ton
    of high powered tools for web design I haven't updated it in I bet 3
    years. The linux help section is still very relevant but I know a few
    links need to be changed, etc. I need to update the X Fonts section too.
    I have the notes and could do it quickly if I ever remember to do it
    when I have the time.

    Having said that what is the French term for being in labor for a week
    and giving birth to a HP Printer cause that's what I feel like about now
    :-)

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  18. Re: Printing problem driving me nutz

    Ron Gibson a écrit :

    > Having said that what is the French term for being in labor for a week
    > and giving birth to a HP Printer cause that's what I feel like about now
    > :-)

    On similar occasion (like setting up SANED for scanning over a network),
    I often use a popular term like:

    "SALOPERIE DE BORDEL A CUL DE POMPE A MERDE!!!"

    The fine thing, of course, with CUPS, SANED and all... it's that once
    it's setup, it works like a charm. But you have to get there first.

    Niki

+ Reply to Thread