how to get list of groups - Slackware

This is a discussion on how to get list of groups - Slackware ; Hi, I'm using slackware linux 11.0. How can I get a list of all the groups created on the system? Thanks...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. how to get list of groups

    Hi,
    I'm using slackware linux 11.0. How can I get a list of all the groups
    created on the system?

    Thanks

  2. Re: how to get list of groups

    > Hi,
    > I'm using slackware linux 11.0. How can I get a list of all the groups
    > created on the system?[/color]

    List linux group can be done by

    less /etc/group, cat /etc/group, more /etc/group

  3. Re: how to get list of groups

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2007-07-18, George wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm using slackware linux 11.0. How can I get a list of all the groups
    >> created on the system?

    > less /etc/group
    >
    > ....hit space or return to continue list to end.
    >
    > nb

    Great! thanks

  4. Re: how to get list of groups

    notbob trolled:
    >On 2007-07-18, George wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm using slackware linux 11.0. How can I get a list of all the groups
    >> created on the system?

    >less /etc/group

    >....hit space or return to continue list to end.

    Nobody uses less anymore. Try:

    most /etc/group

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.boldlygoingnowhere.org/

  5. Re: how to get list of groups

    On 2007-07-18, Roger Manyard wrote:

    > Nobody uses less anymore.

    I know.

    Nobody

  6. Re: how to get list of groups

    notbob trolled:
    >Roger Manyard wrote:

    >> Nobody uses less anymore.

    >I know.

    >Nobody

    Why don't you use most? Or at least more?

    Do you think that "less" is more pure or something equally as silly?

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.boldlygoingnowhere.org/

  7. Re: how to get list of groups

    On 2007-07-18, George wrote:
    > I'm using slackware linux 11.0. How can I get a list of all the groups
    > created on the system?

    You can also do

    getent group

    which will show all groups: local, NIS, and LDAP (and any others
    available through NSS), if your box has that.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  8. Re: how to get list of groups

    Roger Manyard wrote:

    > Why don't you use most? Or at least more?

    What advantages does one get using most? I like the vi'ish interface
    that less has. Is most like less but made for those who are not accustomed
    to vi?

    - Kurt

  9. Re: how to get list of groups

    ~kurt trolled:
    >Roger Manyard wrote:

    >> Why don't you use most? Or at least more?

    >What advantages does one get using most?

    Try it and see.

    >I like the vi'ish interface that less has. Is most like less but
    >made for those who are not accustomed to vi?

    We are accustomed to vi. Perhaps you should try view?

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.boldlygoingnowhere.org/

  10. Re: how to get list of groups

    Roger Manyard wrote:

    >>What advantages does one get using most?

    > Try it and see.

    I immediately tried it after I read about it and didn't like it - no vi
    interface.

    > We are accustomed to vi. Perhaps you should try view?

    I believe view is a recent addition to SW. I use it on Solaris
    although I don't think it has less (or at least didn't - haven't thought to
    check in years). I thought view was just vim in read only mode though.
    less is a more basic program, and subject to fewer malicious hacks
    (vim is always having fixes related to people figuring out how to
    make text files that will automatically run executables).

    OK, I just checked - it is just a link to vim. So, it is open to many more
    hacks than less. less is a relatively safe program to use.

    - Kurt

  11. Re: how to get list of groups

    Roger Manyard a écrit :

    > Nobody uses less anymore. Try:
    >
    > most /etc/group

    Split personalities commonly using the pluralis maiestatis can be
    expected to prefer 'most' over 'less'.

    less^^^ erm, most sincere regards,

    Niki Kovacs

  12. Re: how to get list of groups

    Niki Kovacs trolled:
    >Roger Manyard a ?crit :

    >> Nobody uses less anymore. Try:

    >> most /etc/group

    >Split personalities commonly using the pluralis maiestatis can be
    >expected to prefer 'most' over 'less'.

    Split personalities? As in Niki Kovacs and Kiki Novaks?

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.boldlygoingnowhere.org/

  13. Re: how to get list of groups

    ~kurt wrote:
    >>Why don't you use most? Or at least more?

    > What advantages does one get using most?

    You should really try to use most out of less, un-less the most you can
    do with most is still less than what you can do with less.

    BTW, nice to learn that most exist. Finally something useful by RM.

    --
    Milan Babuskov
    http://home.gna.org/vodovod

  14. Re: how to get list of groups

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:10:40 +0200, Milan Babuskov wrote:

    > You should really try to use most out of less, un-less the most you can
    > do with most is still less than what you can do with less.

    > BTW, nice to learn that most exist. Finally something useful by RM.

    Yeah even a blind squirrel finds an occasional acorn.

    I've been using most for about 18 months. I dunno anything about being
    vi-like or whatever and that would not affect my decision anyway.

    I just like it better.

    Another tip - Add ths to /etc/profile

    export MANPAGER='/usr/bin/most'

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  15. Re: how to get list of groups

    In article ,
    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > Another tip - Add ths to /etc/profile
    >
    > export MANPAGER='/usr/bin/most'

    Would suggest it go into ~/.whatever
    --
    W. Oates

  16. Re: how to get list of groups

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > I've been using most for about 18 months. I dunno anything about being
    > vi-like or whatever and that would not affect my decision anyway.

    I prefer how most displays searched terms (taking the cursor to the
    string) over how less does it (by highlighting every term on the page).
    That is about it.

    - Kurt

  17. Re: how to get list of groups

    On 2007-07-18, ~kurt wrote:
    > Ron Gibson wrote:
    >>
    >> I've been using most for about 18 months. I dunno anything about being
    >> vi-like or whatever and that would not affect my decision anyway.

    > I prefer how most displays searched terms (taking the cursor to the
    > string) over how less does it (by highlighting every term on the page).
    > That is about it.

    About the only advantage I see is its ability to view binary files,
    and even that advantage is questionable versus strings. It's not
    enough to start changing my aliases.

    nb

  18. Re: how to get list of groups

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:13:55 -0500, notbob wrote:

    > About the only advantage I see is its ability to view binary files, and
    > even that advantage is questionable versus strings. It's not enough to
    > start changing my aliases.

    Oh it's not a cure all. I still use less as sometimes for some reasons
    less works better.

    I really like it for a manpager though.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  19. Re: how to get list of groups

  20. Re: how to get list of groups

    Ron Gibson trolled:
    >On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:10:40 +0200, Milan Babuskov wrote:

    >> You should really try to use most out of less, un-less the most
    >> you can do with most is still less than what you can do with
    >> less.

    >> BTW, nice to learn that most exist. Finally something useful by
    >> RM.

    >Yeah even a blind squirrel finds an occasional acorn.

    There's no need for this.

    >I've been using most for about 18 months. I dunno anything about
    >being vi-like or whatever and that would not affect my decision
    >anyway.

    >I just like it better.

    >Another tip - Add ths to /etc/profile

    >export MANPAGER='/usr/bin/most'

    That's the "most" important thing to do!

    cordially, as always,

    rm