    Thanks,

    S.

  2. Re: Upgrade Slackware 10.2 to 12

    On 2007-07-17, samson wrote:
    > What's the transition like between 10.2 and 12? I have
    > time to ungrade now and I wonder if it's going to be a
    > bear.

    Think of it as a learning opportunity/experience.

    nb

  3. Re: Upgrade Slackware 10.2 to 12

    In article ,
    notbob@nothome.com says...
    > On 2007-07-17, samson wrote:
    > > What's the transition like between 10.2 and 12? I have
    > > time to ungrade now and I wonder if it's going to be a
    > > bear.

    > Think of it as a learning opportunity/experience.
    >
    > nb

    It always is, my friend.

    S.

  4. Re: Upgrade Slackware 10.2 to 12

    samson wrote:

    > It always is, my friend.

    I prefer to just reformat the system partitions and install fresh. I
    keep notes on the config stuff I did before, and all of my user
    preferences are on /home which is a separate partition, and remains
    preserved.

    - Kurt

  5. Re: Upgrade Slackware 10.2 to 12

    samson wrote:
    > What's the transition like between 10.2 and 12? I have
    > time to ungrade now and I wonder if it's going to be a
    > bear.

    I've been working on this and have automated much of the work via two
    bash scripts. I've only tested the scripts on a Dell Inspiron 3800. So
    far, I have only found a couple of issues with the scripts, which I've
    since corrected.

    I commented out the glx and GLcore modules in the newly generated
    Inspiron 3800 xorg.conf, as the mach64 driver was not being found. I
    don't believe I had this problem with slackware 10.2/2.4 kernel. I'm
    still seeing the following in my Xorg.0.log file:

    FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1;
    fixing.

    The good news is that the upgraded Inspiron boots slackware 12.0 and
    appears to run fine. However, I still have to learn about how to best
    use hal and udev. BTW, the "Linux Kernel In A Nutshell" book appears to
    be a good way to get up to speed quickly on working with the 2.6 kernel.

    I'm currently working on porting a bunch of non-official slackware
    packages and updating the slackware 12.0 installer to handle them. It's
    slow going, due to the number of kernel, library, and package changes
    since slackware 10.2/2.4 kernel. Also, compiling stuff on this older
    notebook is slow, but I don't want to risk the upgrade on my
    newer/faster PCs until I've finished testing all my newly built
    non-official slackware packages on the Inspiron. Hopefully, I'll be
    done in a few more days.

    I can make my upgrade scripts available, if anyone is interested. You
    may want to wait until I test them on a few more 10.2 PCs first though.

    Peter

  6. Re: Upgrade Slackware 10.2 to 12

    Peter wrote:
    > I can make my upgrade scripts available, if anyone is interested. You
    > may want to wait until I test them on a few more 10.2 PCs first though.
    >
    > Peter

    I'd like to have a look at the scripts. I was just thinking earlier
    today that I might write a script that would do some basic comparisons
    and such to act as an upgrade advisor, mostly to show which packages
    would be updated, which packages are new but not installed on the target
    and which packages are installed (mostly custom) but not on the new
    distro. I didn't think that it would be necessary to get to the point
    of doing library dependencies and such. Mostly just comparing based on
    package name. That should be quite simple.

    I have a machine that needs to go from 10.2 to 12 and one that needs to
    go from 11 to 12.

    Regards

  7. Re: Upgrade Slackware 10.2 to 12

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:55:02 -0600, cbxbiker61 wrote:

    > I have a machine that needs to go from 10.2 to 12 and one that needs to
    > go from 11 to 12.

    Why do they "need" to be upgraded...?

  8. Re: Upgrade Slackware 10.2 to 12

    Dan C wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:55:02 -0600, cbxbiker61 wrote:
    >

    >> I have a machine that needs to go from 10.2 to 12 and one that needs to
    >> go from 11 to 12.

    >Why do they "need" to be upgraded...?

    Dan C makes an excellent point.

    In the Windows world, constant upgrades are the norm, because
    Microsoft does the logical thing and makes it so that those
    who stick with older versions (and thus don't send dollars to
    Microsoft) have problems with security, compatibility with
    data created on newer versions, and features.

    In the Slackware Linux world, the norm is to upgrade only when
    you have a specific reason for ing so. Perhaps you have new
    hardware not supported on the older version. Perhaps there
    is some feature in the new version that you consider a "must
    have."

    If, on the other hand, you have no specific reason to upgrade
    your Slackware version, just keep running the old version.

    --
    Guy Macon

  9. Re: Upgrade Slackware 10.2 to 12

    Guy Macon trolled:

    What is the point of leaving all this space until the next poster's
    name? Is it to leave your name standing out?

    You are pathetic.

    >Dan C wrote:

    >Dan C makes an excellent point.

    No, Dan C does not make an excellent point. Dan C is the worst
    troll in this ng and the fact that you agree with him about
    something is very telling.

    >In the Windows world, constant upgrades are the norm, because
    >Microsoft does the logical thing and makes it so that those who
    >stick with older versions (and thus don't send dollars to
    >Microsoft) have problems with security, compatibility with data
    >created on newer versions, and features.

    Every OS has the same problems.

    >In the Slackware Linux world, the norm is to upgrade only when
    >you have a specific reason for ing so.

    How about "problems with security, compatibility with data...and
    features?"

    >created on newer versions, and features.

    >Perhaps you have new
    >hardware not supported on the older version. Perhaps there
    >is some feature in the new version that you consider a "must
    >have."

    And these are the reasons one moves from one windoze version to
    another.

    >If, on the other hand, you have no specific reason to upgrade
    >your Slackware version, just keep running the old version.

    Likewise with windoze. The difference with windoze is that much,
    much, much, more technically developed software is written for
    windoze that relies on gadgets that didn't exist on previous
    versions of windoze.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

    http://guybacon.bounceme.net

  10. Re: Upgrade Slackware 10.2 to 12

    cbxbiker61 wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >> I can make my upgrade scripts available, if anyone is interested. You
    >> may want to wait until I test them on a few more 10.2 PCs first though.
    >>
    >> Peter

    > I'd like to have a look at the scripts. I was just thinking earlier
    > today that I might write a script that would do some basic comparisons
    > and such to act as an upgrade advisor, mostly to show which packages
    > would be updated, which packages are new but not installed on the target
    > and which packages are installed (mostly custom) but not on the new
    > distro. I didn't think that it would be necessary to get to the point
    > of doing library dependencies and such. Mostly just comparing based on
    > package name. That should be quite simple.

    I have such a script written in python that does this and much more. I
    wrote it because swaret and slapt-get didn't do what I wanted/needed.
    It happily handles both official and unofficial slackware packages. I
    may make this available sometime in the future.

    > I have a machine that needs to go from 10.2 to 12 and one that needs to
    > go from 11 to 12.
    >
    > Regards

    I will need your real email address to send you a copy. Unfortunately,
    my current DSL service provides no free web space.

    Peter

  11. Re: Upgrade Slackware 10.2 to 12

    Peter wrote:
    > cbxbiker61 wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>> I can make my upgrade scripts available, if anyone is interested. You
    >>> may want to wait until I test them on a few more 10.2 PCs first though.
    >>>
    >>> Peter

    >> I'd like to have a look at the scripts. I was just thinking earlier
    >> today that I might write a script that would do some basic comparisons
    >> and such to act as an upgrade advisor, mostly to show which packages
    >> would be updated, which packages are new but not installed on the target
    >> and which packages are installed (mostly custom) but not on the new
    >> distro. I didn't think that it would be necessary to get to the point
    >> of doing library dependencies and such. Mostly just comparing based on
    >> package name. That should be quite simple.

    > I have such a script written in python that does this and much more. I
    > wrote it because swaret and slapt-get didn't do what I wanted/needed.
    > It happily handles both official and unofficial slackware packages. I
    > may make this available sometime in the future.
    >
    >> I have a machine that needs to go from 10.2 to 12 and one that needs to
    >> go from 11 to 12.
    >>
    >> Regards

    > I will need your real email address to send you a copy. Unfortunately,
    > my current DSL service provides no free web space.
    >
    > Peter

    Yes I'd like to take a look at your script. In the meantime I forged
    ahead and came up with a procedure that is both "safe" and works well
    for those of us that have systems that are not "full" installations.

    I created an upgrade guide for Slackware upgrade from 11.0 to 12.0.
    Contact me through the Feedback link on this page
    http://slackwarelinux.kicks-ass.net/...0-to-12.0.html.

    If your script looks good I'll add it.

    Thanks

  12. Re: Upgrade Slackware 10.2 to 12

    Just use slapt-get, but beware the package splitting of tcpip, you'll need
    to install a couple packages to replace it, very painless so long as you
    read the --dist-upgrade notes first.

    --
    Cheers
    Res