HAL: what does it do? - Slackware

This is a discussion on HAL: what does it do? - Slackware ; I tried to use HAL under slack 12; it is enabled by default, so i just had to add myself as a common user to the groups cdrom and plugdev; and now?? what should i get?? In the slack 12 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. HAL: what does it do?

    I tried to use HAL under slack 12;
    it is enabled by default, so i just had to add myself as a common user
    to the groups cdrom and plugdev; and now?? what should i get??
    In the slack 12 annoucement by the author P.V. it is written:
    " We have added to Slackware support for HAL (the
    Hardware Abstraction Layer) which allows the system administrator to
    add
    users to the cdrom and plugdev groups."
    and restarted the deamon

    So i though that HAL was designed to help me adding users to cdrom and
    plugdev groups which was quite surprising because usermod do that very
    well. so I guessed I didn't really understand the sentence or it was
    badly written.

    the following was telling more:
    "Then they will be able to use items
    such as USB flash sticks, USB cameras that appear like USB storage,
    portable hard drives, CD and DVD media, MP3 players, and more, all
    without
    requiring sudo, the mount or umount command. Just plug and play. "

    so i finally thought that removable devices would appear in the fs
    explorer automaticall.as i plug them in, none of it happened.

    i think that's not normal

  2. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    heavytull@hotmail.com wrote :

    > I tried to use HAL under slack 12;
    > it is enabled by default, so i just had to add myself as a common user
    > to the groups cdrom and plugdev; and now?? what should i get??

    I'm using KDE as my dm and I had to add an entry for the cdrom in
    /etc/fstab to get it going. Its a bit strange that this line has been
    left out in Slackware 12 but it has.
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    On 2007-07-16, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > I'm using KDE as my dm and I had to add an entry for the cdrom in
    > /etc/fstab to get it going. Its a bit strange that this line has been
    > left out in Slackware 12 but it has.

    It was in MY 12 fstab file. Did you install from a cdrom?

    nb

  4. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    heavytull wrote:

    > I tried to use HAL under slack 12;
    > it is enabled by default, so i just had to add myself as a common user
    > to the groups cdrom and plugdev; and now?? what should i get??
    > In the slack 12 annoucement by the author P.V. it is written:
    > " We have added to Slackware support for HAL (the
    > Hardware Abstraction Layer) which allows the system administrator to
    > add
    > users to the cdrom and plugdev groups."
    > and restarted the deamon

    open a Kde window and type:

    system:/media

    --
    777 fanno 21, arriva la volante e non c' nessuno

  5. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    notbob@nothome.com wrote :

    > It was in MY 12 fstab file. Did you install from a cdrom?

    No I did my install from a homemade 8cm. DVD+RW. But the line that made
    the difference looks like this:
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user,ro 0 0
    --
    Thomas O.

  6. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:10:18 -0500, notbob wrote:

    >> I'm using KDE as my dm and I had to add an entry for the cdrom in
    >> /etc/fstab to get it going. Its a bit strange that this line has been
    >> left out in Slackware 12 but it has.

    > It was in MY 12 fstab file. Did you install from a cdrom?

    I installed from a CD, and my cdrom entry in /etc/fstab was commented out
    (with a #). Automounting of CD's wasn't working, so I uncommented it and
    it did work. I'm using Xfce. Not sure why/how it got commented, but
    things are working well now...

  7. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    heavytull wrote:
    > I tried to use HAL under slack 12;
    > it is enabled by default, so i just had to add myself as a common user
    > to the groups cdrom and plugdev; and now?? what should i get??
    > In the slack 12 annoucement by the author P.V. it is written:
    > " We have added to Slackware support for HAL (the
    > Hardware Abstraction Layer) which allows the system administrator to
    > add
    > users to the cdrom and plugdev groups."
    > and restarted the deamon
    >

    > So i though that HAL was designed to help me adding users to cdrom and
    > plugdev groups which was quite surprising because usermod do that very
    > well. so I guessed I didn't really understand the sentence or it was
    > badly written.
    >
    > the following was telling more:
    > "Then they will be able to use items
    > such as USB flash sticks, USB cameras that appear like USB storage,
    > portable hard drives, CD and DVD media, MP3 players, and more, all
    > without
    > requiring sudo, the mount or umount command. Just plug and play. "
    >
    > so i finally thought that removable devices would appear in the fs
    > explorer automaticall.as i plug them in, none of it happened.
    >
    > i think that's not normal

    A previous post from Robby Workman explains the issue. In short, you must MANUALLY
    add your users, including root, to the appropriate groups in /etc/group

    floppy
    audio
    video
    cdrom
    plugdev

    and comment out cdrom entry (and floppy if you still use them) in /etc/fstab
    (essentially only hdx, proc

    then reboot. In XFCE, a cdrom icon pops up that you can open to view. In KDE a
    window pops up (is so configured) unless you manually configured KDE to show drives
    in the desktop.

    So far it works fine here for CDROMs and USB sticks.

    The whole idea behind HAL/dbus/plugdev is to provide for Linux distributions the same
    automatic hardware detection and drive mounting as in MS Windows and Apple OS X.

  8. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    heavytull wrote:

    > I tried to use HAL under slack 12;

    What worries me is that my web cam now has an orange glow and I can only
    shut the system down by unplugging the RAM whilst it sings daisy...

    :-)
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  9. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    Peter Chant wrote:
    > heavytull wrote:
    >
    >> I tried to use HAL under slack 12;

    > What worries me is that my web cam now has an orange glow and I can only
    > shut the system down by unplugging the RAM whilst it sings daisy...
    >
    > :-)

    Well, as long as the pod bay doors open when you need to get in....

  10. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    On Jul 17, 6:05 pm, King Beowulf wrote:
    > A previous post from Robby Workman explains the issue. In short, you must

    MANUALLY
    > add your users, including root, to the appropriate groups in /etc/group
    >
    > floppy
    > audio
    > video
    > cdrom
    > plugdev
    >
    > and comment out cdrom entry (and floppy if you still use them) in /etc/fstab
    > (essentially only hdx, proc

    ok thas what i did

    > then reboot. In XFCE, a cdrom icon pops up that you can open to view. In KDE

    > window pops up (is so configured) unless you manually configured KDE to show

    drives
    > in the desktop.
    >
    > So far it works fine here for CDROMs and USB sticks.

    doesn't not work at all here;

    i even remember something like this was working under slack11 before.
    indeed everytime i inserted a cdrom a window was poped up in KDE. but i never
    used it. at that time the cdrom line was not commented out in my fstab

    > The whole idea behindHAL/dbus/plugdev is to provide for Linux distributions

    the same
    > automatic hardware detection and drive mounting as in MS Windows and Apple OS

    X.

    --
    heavytull

  11. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    If its any consolation, I'm having a very similar problem - see the post
    further down "HAL question".

    In my case, I have two machines on which Hal works perfectly, and a third on
    which it doesn't. Yes, I've commented out the fstab line, and added my users
    to the appropriate group.

    The only thing I have discovered is that my case seems to be kernel related. It
    works if I use the original Slack huge26.s kernel, but not my home compiled
    one. (The two working machines are also running home compiled kernels)

    I cannot see for the life of me what I've left out, but there must be some
    option I've missed when compiling!

    --
    Pete
    christy@NOattglobalSPAM.net

  12. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    Peter Christy wrote:
    > The only thing I have discovered is that my case seems to be kernel related. It
    > works if I use the original Slack huge26.s kernel, but not my home compiled
    > one. (The two working machines are also running home compiled kernels)

    so, runn a diff on the two configs, that should identify the culprit.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  13. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    > Peter Christy wrote:
    >> The only thing I have discovered is that my case seems to be kernel related.
    >> It works if I use the original Slack huge26.s kernel, but not my home
    >> compiled one. (The two working machines are also running home compiled
    >> kernels)

    > so, runn a diff on the two configs, that should identify the culprit.

    Yes, that's a good idea - but its not going to be quite that simple! The
    non-working one is running an Athlon-XP on a Via chipset, one working one is
    running an Athlon-XP on an NVidia chipset, and the third is running Slamd64 on
    a Via chipset! There will be a lot of differences!

    Still, I think you're right, I'm just going to have to slog through it!

    I'm working all over the week-end - I'll give it a try tomorrow!

    --
    Pete
    christy@NOattglobalSPAM.net
    (make the obvious amendments to reply!)

  14. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    Peter Christy wrote:
    > Joost Kremers wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Christy wrote:
    >>> The only thing I have discovered is that my case seems to be kernel related.
    >>> It works if I use the original Slack huge26.s kernel, but not my home
    >>> compiled one. (The two working machines are also running home compiled
    >>> kernels)

    >> so, runn a diff on the two configs, that should identify the culprit.

    > Yes, that's a good idea - but its not going to be quite that simple! The
    > non-working one is running an Athlon-XP on a Via chipset, one working one is
    > running an Athlon-XP on an NVidia chipset, and the third is running Slamd64 on
    > a Via chipset! There will be a lot of differences!

    actually, i meant a diff between the huge26.s kernel and your home-grown
    one. i don't know how large the differences there are, they may be large as
    well...

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  15. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    > actually, i meant a diff between the huge26.s kernel and your home-grown
    > one. i don't know how large the differences there are, they may be large as
    > well...

    Yes, I think they will be even greater... 8-(

    I've diff'd my home grown configs, and at very quick look before I dash off to
    work, I still can't see anything obvious. I'll have a more detailed look
    tomorrow.......!

    --
    Pete
    christy@NOattglobalSPAM.net
    (make the obvious amendments to reply!)

  16. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    Peter Christy wrote:
    > If its any consolation, I'm having a very similar problem - see the post
    > further down "HAL question".
    >
    > In my case, I have two machines on which Hal works perfectly, and a third on
    > which it doesn't. Yes, I've commented out the fstab line, and added my users
    > to the appropriate group.
    >
    > The only thing I have discovered is that my case seems to be kernel related. It
    > works if I use the original Slack huge26.s kernel, but not my home compiled
    > one. (The two working machines are also running home compiled kernels)

    AHA!! I too have similar problems. Hal works perfectly with the huge26.s
    kernel that comes with slackware 12, but I have no sound because the
    sound drivers for my soundchip are broken in the 2.6.21 kernel. I
    downloaded 2.6.22 from kernel.org, recompiled, and now sound works but
    hal doesn't. I copied the original .config file to my 2.6.22 directory
    and did make oldconfig to no avail.

    > I cannot see for the life of me what I've left out, but there must be some
    > option I've missed when compiling!

    My thoughts exactly.

    Also I have another problem, when I try to play a DVD with xine as a
    normal user, I get a NAV error. If I leave the DVD in the tray, logout,
    then log back in, then it plays ok. Have no problems playing DVDs as
    root. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the same problem as we've
    been discussing above.

    Regards
    Phil

  17. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    Phil wrote:

    > AHA!! I too have similar problems. Hal works perfectly with the huge26.s
    > kernel that comes with slackware 12, but I have no sound because the
    > sound drivers for my soundchip are broken in the 2.6.21 kernel. I
    > downloaded 2.6.22 from kernel.org, recompiled, and now sound works but
    > hal doesn't. I copied the original .config file to my 2.6.22 directory
    > and did make oldconfig to no avail.

    Ok, I've proved to my satisfaction that its a kernel config problem - at least
    in my case!

    I built a new kernel (2.6.22) using the huge26.s config file, and taking all
    the default options on "make oldconfig". Automounting worked!

    I then rebuilt the kernel using config options suitable for my machine (it
    built an awful lot quicker!) and now automount doesn't work!

    Either I've built something as a module that needs to be in the kernel (or
    modprobe'd on boot) or I've missed something out.

    It isn't device-mapper or autofs.

    Diff'ing huge26.s and my configs produced a huge file! It's like looking for a
    needle in a haystack!

    Any suggestions anyone?

    --
    Pete
    christy@NOattglobalSPAM.net
    (make the obvious amendments to reply!)

  18. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    Peter Christy wrote:
    > Ok, I've proved to my satisfaction that its a kernel config problem - at least
    > in my case!
    >
    > I built a new kernel (2.6.22) using the huge26.s config file, and taking all
    > the default options on "make oldconfig". Automounting worked!
    >
    > I then rebuilt the kernel using config options suitable for my machine (it
    > built an awful lot quicker!) and now automount doesn't work!

    [...]
    > Any suggestions anyone?

    well, the first thing i would do is search google, and see if HAL and/or
    dbus (and other stuff automounting depends on, such as udev) depend on
    certain kernel functionality that you've left out. you can also check the
    documentation of HAL and dbus for that.

    then, if that doesn't turn anything up, check the kernel documentation
    itself. a command like:

    find . -name Kconfig | xargs grep -C 2 HAL

    executed in the top directory of the kernel source tree will give you all
    occurrences of 'HAL' in the kernel help files with two lines of context
    before and after. do the same for dbus (you may want to add -i to make the
    search case insensitive). perhaps some mention is made of kernel modules
    that are required for either or both.

    if you then still haven't found anything, the only other method is to go
    from the huge26.s kernel to your own config in steps, and see which step
    breaks automounting. start out with the huge26.s config, take out
    everything you're pretty sure has nothing to do with it, compile and
    boot. if automounting still works, take out the next batch. lather, rinse
    and repeat until the culprit is identified.

    HTH

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  19. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    Peter Christy wrote:
    > Phil wrote:
    >
    >> AHA!! I too have similar problems. Hal works perfectly with the huge26.s
    >> kernel that comes with slackware 12, but I have no sound because the
    >> sound drivers for my soundchip are broken in the 2.6.21 kernel. I
    >> downloaded 2.6.22 from kernel.org, recompiled, and now sound works but
    >> hal doesn't. I copied the original .config file to my 2.6.22 directory
    >> and did make oldconfig to no avail.

    > Ok, I've proved to my satisfaction that its a kernel config problem - at least
    > in my case!
    >
    > I built a new kernel (2.6.22) using the huge26.s config file, and taking all
    > the default options on "make oldconfig". Automounting worked!
    >
    > I then rebuilt the kernel using config options suitable for my machine (it
    > built an awful lot quicker!) and now automount doesn't work!
    >
    > Either I've built something as a module that needs to be in the kernel (or
    > modprobe'd on boot) or I've missed something out.
    >
    > It isn't device-mapper or autofs.
    >
    > Diff'ing huge26.s and my configs produced a huge file! It's like looking for a
    > needle in a haystack!
    >
    > Any suggestions anyone?

    There have been some changes in the structure of sysfs recently that
    possibly could break HAL, so take a look at the config options dealing
    with sysfs. Look at any differences in options with names that include
    the string COMPAT or DEPRECATE. Or try searching the kernel mailing
    list archives for threads containing "sysfs broke".

    Jerry

  20. Re: HAL: what does it do?

    Jerry Peters wrote:
    > Peter Christy wrote:
    >> Phil wrote:
    >>
    >>> AHA!! I too have similar problems. Hal works perfectly with the huge26.s
    >>> kernel that comes with slackware 12, but I have no sound because the
    >>> sound drivers for my soundchip are broken in the 2.6.21 kernel. I
    >>> downloaded 2.6.22 from kernel.org, recompiled, and now sound works but
    >>> hal doesn't. I copied the original .config file to my 2.6.22 directory
    >>> and did make oldconfig to no avail.

    >> Ok, I've proved to my satisfaction that its a kernel config problem - at least
    >> in my case!
    >>
    >> I built a new kernel (2.6.22) using the huge26.s config file, and taking all
    >> the default options on "make oldconfig". Automounting worked!
    >>
    >> I then rebuilt the kernel using config options suitable for my machine (it
    >> built an awful lot quicker!) and now automount doesn't work!
    >>
    >> Either I've built something as a module that needs to be in the kernel (or
    >> modprobe'd on boot) or I've missed something out.
    >>
    >> It isn't device-mapper or autofs.
    >>
    >> Diff'ing huge26.s and my configs produced a huge file! It's like looking for a
    >> needle in a haystack!
    >>
    >> Any suggestions anyone?
    >>

    > There have been some changes in the structure of sysfs recently that
    > possibly could break HAL, so take a look at the config options dealing
    > with sysfs. Look at any differences in options with names that include
    > the string COMPAT or DEPRECATE. Or try searching the kernel mailing
    > list archives for threads containing "sysfs broke".
    >
    > Jerry

    In my case, I think it was operator error. I started again from scratch,
    reinstalled kernel 2.6.21.5 source files, then copied the .config file
    to my 2.6.22 directory. Did a make oldconfig. Kernel recompiled
    successfully and hal was working ok. Removed all the stuff I don't need
    with make menuconfig and recompiled once more and again hal was working.
    First time round I must have set/unset something inadvertently. My
    apologies for troubling you. Thanks everybody for your input
    Regards
    Phil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast