HAL question - Slackware

This is a discussion on HAL question - Slackware ; This one is driving me nuts! Any help much appreciated....... There are 3 computers in my household, my laptop running Slamd64-current, my desktop, running Slack 12.0 and my wife's desktop, also running Slack 12.0. On both of my machines, as ...

  1. HAL question

    This one is driving me nuts! Any help much appreciated.......

    There are 3 computers in my household, my laptop running Slamd64-current, my
    desktop, running Slack 12.0 and my wife's desktop, also running Slack 12.0.

    On both of my machines, as soon as I insert a dvd, or plug in a memory stick or
    external drive, a window opens up showing me the contents of that media. A
    corresponding device appears in the System/Storage Media folder on the
    desktop.

    On my wife's machine none of these happen! If I insert a cd or dvd, nothing
    happens, and no device appears in System/Storage Media. Similarly, if I plug a
    USB device in, dmesg reports that the device has been detected (as sdX), but
    again, no windows open, and no device appears in System/Storage Media!

    At the moment I am having to mount dvd's the old way, using a desktop icon and
    an entry in fstab (yes I did comment that out when trying auto-mount).

    Hal, dbus and udev are all installed.

    Why is it working on two machines, and not the third?

    --
    Pete
    christy@NOattglobalSPAM.net

  2. Re: HAL question

    Peter Christy wrote:
    > Hal, dbus and udev are all installed.

    and running?

    > Why is it working on two machines, and not the third?

    haven't got a clue. :-( you'll need to do some debugging, starting in
    /var/log, i suspect.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  3. Re: HAL question

    Joost Kremers wrote:
    > and running?

    Wel they are present, the rc files are executable, and according to KDE Control
    Centre (KDE Components / Service Manager) both KDED Media Manager and the
    Media Notifier Daemon are running, which I suspect they wouldn't be if the
    other components weren't.

    I'm not sure what else to check!

    >> Why is it working on two machines, and not the third?

    > haven't got a clue. :-( you'll need to do some debugging, starting in
    > /var/log, i suspect.

    Certainly I'll have to dig deeper, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for! Dmesg
    certainly reports that USB devices are being detected correctly, though I
    don't see anything there when I insert a dvd. But then I don't see that on the
    machines the *do* work, either!

    I'm very puzzled!

    --
    Pete
    christy@NOattglobalSPAM.net
    (make the obvious amendments to reply!)

  4. Re: HAL question

    Peter Christy wrote:
    > This one is driving me nuts! Any help much appreciated.......
    >
    > There are 3 computers in my household, my laptop running Slamd64-current, my
    > desktop, running Slack 12.0 and my wife's desktop, also running Slack 12.0.
    >
    > On both of my machines, as soon as I insert a dvd, or plug in a memory stick or
    > external drive, a window opens up showing me the contents of that media. A
    > corresponding device appears in the System/Storage Media folder on the
    > desktop.
    >
    > On my wife's machine none of these happen! If I insert a cd or dvd, nothing
    > happens, and no device appears in System/Storage Media. Similarly, if I plug a
    > USB device in, dmesg reports that the device has been detected (as sdX), but
    > again, no windows open, and no device appears in System/Storage Media!
    >
    > At the moment I am having to mount dvd's the old way, using a desktop icon and
    > an entry in fstab (yes I did comment that out when trying auto-mount).
    >
    > Hal, dbus and udev are all installed.
    >
    > Why is it working on two machines, and not the third?

    beats me....but! In a previous thread was a discussion about the need to add users
    to certain groups, so make sure you add your users to the groups in /etc/group

    plugdev
    cdrom
    audio
    video
    floppy

    then reboot and give it a try

  5. Re: HAL question

    Peter Christy wrote:
    > Joost Kremers wrote:
    >> and running?

    > Wel they are present, the rc files are executable, and according to KDE Control
    > Centre (KDE Components / Service Manager) both KDED Media Manager and the
    > Media Notifier Daemon are running, which I suspect they wouldn't be if the
    > other components weren't.
    >
    > I'm not sure what else to check!

    ps -ef | grep udev

    for example. or

    ps -ef | less

    to see a list of all processes.

    >>> Why is it working on two machines, and not the third?

    >> haven't got a clue. :-( you'll need to do some debugging, starting in
    >> /var/log, i suspect.

    > Certainly I'll have to dig deeper, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for! Dmesg
    > certainly reports that USB devices are being detected correctly, though I
    > don't see anything there when I insert a dvd. But then I don't see that on the
    > machines the *do* work, either!

    /var/log contains log files that may or may not contain information. use
    'tail -f' to see if any lines are added to e.g. /var/log/messages when you
    insert a usb device.

    also, check out the note posted by robby workman, both here in the NG
    (message id ) and on the net:
    . perhaps
    that's your problem.

    HTH

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  6. Re: HAL question

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    > ps -ef | grep udev
    >
    > for example. or
    >
    > ps -ef | less
    >
    > to see a list of all processes.

    > also, check out the note posted by robby workman, both here in the NG
    > (message id ) and on the net:
    > . perhaps
    > that's your problem.

    Well, udev, hal and dbus are all definitely running!

    My users are in all the groups detailed in those references. However, I have
    made one discovery - it appears to be a kernel issue, as autoloading works
    fine with the original Slack huge26.s kernel.

    However, other than chipset related differences, I can't see any differences
    between the kernel configurations that work on my other machines, and the one
    that doesn't work on the troublesome one. Obviously I've missed something, but
    I can't see it. Does that give anyone any clues?

    TIA,

    --
    Pete
    christy@NOattglobalSPAM.net