Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc - Slackware

This is a discussion on Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc - Slackware ; Hi everyone, I have been unable to boot the install discs for recent Slackware versions (11 & 12) in my somewhat older machine. It is a Pentium 3 800 MHz (vintage 2000) Gateway brand computer. It sort of baffles me ...

  1. Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc

    Hi everyone,

    I have been unable to boot the install discs for recent Slackware
    versions (11 & 12) in my somewhat older machine. It is a Pentium 3 800
    MHz (vintage 2000) Gateway brand computer. It sort of baffles me
    because I have a copy of Slackware 10.1 that boots just fine. Also, the
    Slackware 11 & 12 discs boot just fine in other (newer) computers.
    The type of disc doesn't seem to make any difference either (DVD+R in
    this case). For Slackware 11 I downloaded the first install CD image
    and burned it to CD-R when I couldn't get the DVD to work. No luck
    there either. The best that I can guess is that this computer's BIOS
    just doesn't like something about the boot record written on these
    discs. Was this somehow changed in recent versions of ISOLINUX?

    Anyway, to get around this problem was relatively easy for Slackware
    11 since I could write a boot disc image to a floppy and boot that
    way. But since I can't do that for Slackware 12, I need to find an
    alternative. First, I tried writing the sbttomgr.dsk to a floppy in
    order to boot the DVD. No luck. It just gave me a terse error
    message with a code that I don't remember now. My next attempt was
    to use Loadlin by copying the desired kernel image and what I thought
    was the correct ramdisk image (D:\isolinux\initrd.img) to a partition
    on which I can boot DOS. I am using a loadlin parameter file with
    the following entries:
    bzImage
    vga=0
    root=/dev/ram
    rw
    initrd=initrd.img

    When I run Loadlin I get the following messages and booting stops:
    invalid compressed format (err=1)
    UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
    (1,0)cfs2_fill_super:561 ERROR: superblock probe failed!
    VFS: Cannot open root device "ram" or unknown-block(1,0)
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
    unknown-block(1,0)

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Mark Iszler

  2. Re: Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc

    Mark Iszler wrote:
    > I have been unable to boot the install discs for recent Slackware
    > versions (11 & 12) in my somewhat older machine.

    > It sort of baffles me because I have a copy of Slackware 10.1 that boots
    > just fine. Also, the Slackware 11 & 12 discs boot just fine in other
    > (newer) computers.

    > Was this somehow changed in recent versions of ISOLINUX?

    In the directory isolinux on the Slackware CDs and DVDs there is a file
    README.TXT which explains how to create your own bootable iso image. For
    Slackware 10.1 the command was:

    mkisofs -o /tmp/slackware.iso \
    -R -J -V "Slackware Install" \
    -x ./bootdisks \
    -x ./extra \
    -x ./slackware/gnome \
    -x ./pasture \
    -x ./patches \
    -x ./rootdisks \
    -x ./source \
    -x ./zipslack \
    -hide-rr-moved \
    -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \ -sort
    isolinux/iso.sort \
    -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
    -c isolinux/isolinux.boot \
    -A "Slackware Install CD" .

    For Slackware 12 the command was:

    mkisofs -o /tmp/slackware-dvd.iso \
    -R -J -A "Slackware Install" \
    -hide-rr-moved \
    -v -d -N \
    -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 32 -boot-info-table \ -sort
    isolinux/iso.sort \
    -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
    -c isolinux/isolinux.boot \
    -V "SlackDVD" .

    I think that the important difference is the value for the -boot-load-size
    argument.

    A little later in the README.TXT with Slackware 10.1 comes the following
    text:

    -8<----------------------------------------
    Techincally the --boot-load-size should be a lot bigger, like 20 or so
    in order to hold the isolinux.bin boot block. However, setting it to
    4 causes it to load on more BIOSes. I don't know why, but I've had so
    many people report this to me that I'm inclined to believe it. But, if
    the resulting discs don't boot in your machine and you find that using
    a more correct value here fixes it, please let me know! If it's going
    to be broken for some BIOSes either way, I'd rather be correct.
    -8<----------------------------------------

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > I think that the important difference is the value for the -boot-load-size
    > argument.
    >
    > A little later in the README.TXT with Slackware 10.1 comes the following
    > text:
    >
    > -8<----------------------------------------
    > Techincally the --boot-load-size should be a lot bigger, like 20 or so
    > in order to hold the isolinux.bin boot block. However, setting it to
    > 4 causes it to load on more BIOSes. I don't know why, but I've had so
    > many people report this to me that I'm inclined to believe it. But, if
    > the resulting discs don't boot in your machine and you find that using
    > a more correct value here fixes it, please let me know! If it's going
    > to be broken for some BIOSes either way, I'd rather be correct.
    > -8<----------------------------------------
    >
    > regards Henrik

    I had never used mkisofs to create bootable iso images before so I
    didn't understand many of the command line parameters used for that
    purpose. Now I think I understand a little about -boot-load-size.
    Your suggestion worked great. (By the way, I did use a value of 4.)

    Thanks!

    Mark Iszler

  4. Re: Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:40:31 -0600, Mark Iszler
    wrote:

    >Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >>
    >> I think that the important difference is the value for the -boot-load-size
    >> argument.
    >>
    >> A little later in the README.TXT with Slackware 10.1 comes the following
    >> text:
    >>
    >> -8<----------------------------------------
    >> Techincally the --boot-load-size should be a lot bigger, like 20 or so
    >> in order to hold the isolinux.bin boot block. However, setting it to
    >> 4 causes it to load on more BIOSes. I don't know why, but I've had so
    >> many people report this to me that I'm inclined to believe it. But, if
    >> the resulting discs don't boot in your machine and you find that using
    >> a more correct value here fixes it, please let me know! If it's going
    >> to be broken for some BIOSes either way, I'd rather be correct.
    >> -8<----------------------------------------
    >>
    >> regards Henrik

    >I had never used mkisofs to create bootable iso images before so I
    >didn't understand many of the command line parameters used for that
    >purpose. Now I think I understand a little about -boot-load-size.
    >Your suggestion worked great. (By the way, I did use a value of 4.)
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Mark Iszler

    Thanks from me too!

    Took me quite a few wasted dvd's before I fount this topic.

    I also used a value of -boot-load-size 4; -boot-load-size 32 did not
    work on a 1999 machine, nor on an other machine with BIOS date April
    2001.

    This was the first time in 11 years of computing I experienced a
    problem with bootable media on ANY machine.

    I wonder if -boot-load-size 4 will NOT make it boot on some other
    machines? Slackware 10.2 install cd just booted fine, why these
    changes?

    Manuel

  5. Re: Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc

    On 2007-07-15, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \ -sort

    > -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 32 -boot-info-table \ -sort

    > I think that the important difference is the value for the -boot-load-size
    > argument.

    > Techincally the --boot-load-size should be a lot bigger, like 20 or so

    As if this whole discussion isn't cryptic enough, what ****amamie
    universe enables the logic that 20 is bigger than 32, so lets use 4?

    nb ...I need coffee

  6. Re: Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 08:23:32 -0500, notbob wrote:

    >On 2007-07-15, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >
    >> -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \ -sort

    >> -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 32 -boot-info-table \ -sort

    >> I think that the important difference is the value for the -boot-load-size
    >> argument.

    >> Techincally the --boot-load-size should be a lot bigger, like 20 or so

    >As if this whole discussion isn't cryptic enough, what ****amamie
    >universe enables the logic that 20 is bigger than 32, so lets use 4?
    >
    >nb ...I need coffee

    He said:

    "Techincally the --boot-load-size should be a lot bigger (bigger then
    4), like 20 (to be precise: 24) or so in order to hold the
    isolinux.bin boot block".

    32 didn't work for me, so I tried 4, and that did work.

    Did a google search
    http://www.google.com/search?q=boot-...utf-8&oe=utf-8

    And the third link:
    http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversi...hp?t12660.html

    says: "The '-boot-load-size' option gives the number of 512-byte
    sectors to load from the boot image. This should be a multiple of 4".

    But now it gets weird...

    The isolinux.bin file on the DVD has a size of 10.932 (10.932 divided
    by 512 = 21.3515625) bytes, so the value should by 24 (the first
    multiple of 4 after 21).

    I'm confused too. The only can think of that it is true that
    cd's/dvd's on some machienes don't boot with high values like 32, but
    that the burn software somehow works a round that?

    Manuel

  7. Re: Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc

    not-for-mail@adress.is.invalid wrote:
    > Thanks from me too!
    >
    > Took me quite a few wasted dvd's before I fount this topic.
    >
    > I also used a value of -boot-load-size 4; -boot-load-size 32 did not
    > work on a 1999 machine, nor on an other machine with BIOS date April
    > 2001.
    >
    > This was the first time in 11 years of computing I experienced a
    > problem with bootable media on ANY machine.
    >
    > I wonder if -boot-load-size 4 will NOT make it boot on some other
    > machines? Slackware 10.2 install cd just booted fine, why these
    > changes?

    A machine I have that "-boot-load-size 32" would not work on is from 2001.
    But I also have a machine from 1999 which boots either size just fine.

    I have found no machines that won't boot the -boot-load-size 4.
    Nevertheless, I expect -boot-load-size 32 is the new Slackware standard,
    because 4 is "wrong" and he would rather be "right".

  8. Re: Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 01:27:54 -0000, ljb
    wrote:

    >not-for-mail@adress.is.invalid wrote:
    >> Thanks from me too!
    >>
    >> Took me quite a few wasted dvd's before I fount this topic.
    >>
    >> I also used a value of -boot-load-size 4; -boot-load-size 32 did not
    >> work on a 1999 machine, nor on an other machine with BIOS date April
    >> 2001.
    >>
    >> This was the first time in 11 years of computing I experienced a
    >> problem with bootable media on ANY machine.
    >>
    >> I wonder if -boot-load-size 4 will NOT make it boot on some other
    >> machines? Slackware 10.2 install cd just booted fine, why these
    >> changes?

    >A machine I have that "-boot-load-size 32" would not work on is from 2001.
    >But I also have a machine from 1999 which boots either size just fine.
    >
    >I have found no machines that won't boot the -boot-load-size 4.
    >Nevertheless, I expect -boot-load-size 32 is the new Slackware standard,
    >because 4 is "wrong" and he would rather be "right".

    Thanks for your information.

    About 'right' and 'wrong' is what I thought too.

    I really hope there will be someone who can explain how it's working,
    and why it works with -boot-load-size 4, while it is not suppost to
    work with that setting.

    Then maybe the issue can ve solved for once and for all...

  9. Re: Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc

    On Jul 15, 7:21 am, Mark Iszler wrote:

    > Anyway, to get around this problem was relatively easy for Slackware
    > 11 since I could write a boot disc image to a floppy and boot that
    > way. But since I can't do that for Slackware 12, I need to find an
    > alternative. First, I tried writing the sbttomgr.dsk to a floppy in
    > order to boot the DVD. No luck. It just gave me a terse error
    > message with a code that I don't remember now. My next attempt was
    > to use Loadlin by copying the desired kernel image and what I thought
    > was the correct ramdisk image (D:\isolinux\initrd.img) to a partition
    > on which I can boot DOS.

    I was able to install Slackware from harddisk, my only working boot
    choice is floppy.
    I pushed all the Slackware DVD stuff into /s12 directory on my running
    Slackware 10.2 box
    and added the following into /setc/lilo.conf

    image= /s12/kernels/hugesmp.s/bzImage
    initrd= /s12/isolinux/initrd.img
    append="load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 rw SLACK_KERNEL=hugesmp.s"
    label= install

    then /sbin/lilo and reboot. Now we take "install"choice from lilo
    menu. Next, with a command prompt from Slackware installer I pushed
    all my Slackware 10.2 things into /old directory and started
    installation with setup. We must
    not format of course partition with /s12 and /old directories and
    choose something like
    Install packages from harddisk partition. It's a bit tricky but not in
    fact difficult. I am just writing about that because we don't need
    for boot from removable media to start installation.

    ---
    Bogdan

  10. Re: Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc

    (B.Yanchitsky@gmail.com) writes:
    > On Jul 15, 7:21 am, Mark Iszler wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, to get around this problem was relatively easy for Slackware
    >> 11 since I could write a boot disc image to a floppy and boot that
    >> way. But since I can't do that for Slackware 12, I need to find an
    >> alternative. First, I tried writing the sbttomgr.dsk to a floppy in
    >> order to boot the DVD. No luck. It just gave me a terse error
    >> message with a code that I don't remember now. My next attempt was
    >> to use Loadlin by copying the desired kernel image and what I thought
    >> was the correct ramdisk image (D:\isolinux\initrd.img) to a partition
    >> on which I can boot DOS.

    > I was able to install Slackware from harddisk, my only working boot
    > choice is floppy.
    > I pushed all the Slackware DVD stuff into /s12 directory on my running
    > Slackware 10.2 box
    > and added the following into /setc/lilo.conf
    >
    > image= /s12/kernels/hugesmp.s/bzImage
    > initrd= /s12/isolinux/initrd.img
    > append="load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 rw SLACK_KERNEL=hugesmp.s"
    > label= install
    >
    > then /sbin/lilo and reboot. Now we take "install"choice from lilo
    > menu. Next, with a command prompt from Slackware installer I pushed
    > all my Slackware 10.2 things into /old directory and started
    > installation with setup. We must
    > not format of course partition with /s12 and /old directories and
    > choose something like
    > Install packages from harddisk partition. It's a bit tricky but not in
    > fact difficult. I am just writing about that because we don't need
    > for boot from removable media to start installation.

    I couldn't boot from either Slack 11 or 12, though I'd never had a problem
    before that.

    I went the easy root, made a floppy disk with the smart boot manager, it's
    documented on the dvd, and that got things started fine.

    Michael

  11. Re: Unable to boot Slackware 12 disc

    On Aug 13, 5:37 pm, et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:

    > I couldn't boot from either Slack 11 or 12, though I'd never had a problem
    > before that.

    My case is much easy, with my Award Medallion v6.0 BIOS (2002) I could
    not boot any
    bootable CD, but the BIOS has this feature.

    > I went the easy root, made a floppy disk with the smart boot manager, it's
    > documented on the dvd, and that got things started fine.
    >
    > Michael

    This also works to me with Slackware 10.2 CD, perhaps now this is my
    emergency boot choice, I have no DVD drive, and grabbed Slackware 12.0
    DVD onto local harddisk from a remote host.

    ---
    Bogdan

+ Reply to Thread