Install with only cd1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Install with only cd1 - Slackware ; Hi folks, I plan on installing Slackware 12 and I was wondering if I can just do a setup and install slackware using just cd1 and then download the rest later. I am right now on winxp, I don't have ...

  1. Install with only cd1

    Hi folks, I plan on installing Slackware 12 and I was wondering if I can
    just do a setup and install slackware using just cd1 and then download the
    rest later. I am right now on winxp, I don't have connection at home and
    just finished dlding cd1 torrent isofile. I don't have any linux
    distribution currently install, just winxp. I am on an IBM thinkpad T42.
    Thank

  2. Re: Install with only cd1

    frz wrote:
    > Hi folks, I plan on installing Slackware 12 and I was wondering if I can
    > just do a setup and install slackware using just cd1 and then download the
    > rest later. I am right now on winxp, I don't have connection at home and
    > just finished dlding cd1 torrent isofile.

    >I don't have any linux
    > distribution currently install, just winxp.

    Does MS know? Is it in EULA?

    I am on an IBM thinkpad T42.
    > Thank

    From memory: If this CD includes /a and /ap sections you can have a
    _very_ basic install, giving you a "DOS prompt" screen.
    It is workably, but NOT for first time user, who has winXP as reference.

    Get a whole set and have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  3. Re: Install with only cd1

    Responding to Stanislaw Flatto...
    > frz wrote:
    >> Hi folks, I plan on installing Slackware 12 and I was wondering if I can
    >> just do a setup and install slackware using just cd1 and then download the
    >> rest later. I am right now on winxp, I don't have connection at home and
    >> just finished dlding cd1 torrent isofile.

    >>I don't have any linux
    >> distribution currently install, just winxp.

    > Does MS know? Is it in EULA?
    >
    > I am on an IBM thinkpad T42.
    >> Thank

    > From memory: If this CD includes /a and /ap sections you can have a
    > _very_ basic install, giving you a "DOS prompt" screen.
    > It is workably, but NOT for first time user, who has winXP as reference.

    To be fair, the Slackware CLI interface is not that "basic". You can
    do just about anything you can do, even without a GUI installed.
    Switching between applications, running a graphics capable browser,
    file management, Email, newsgroups, all available from commandline
    applications.

    There should be no problem installing and running from a "basic"
    install from a single CDROM, then grabbing the bits you need to
    "enhance" things later with a GUI and appropriate applications.

    I set up my old P90 with a CLI setup, and the only thing I missed was
    all that graphic junk modern websites like to insist you download
    just to read two paragraphs of text.

    Lynx/Links browsers - Midnight Commander file manager - Pine
    Email/Newsgroups - ncftp ftp application.

    And don't forget that most of the really important tools will be CLI
    anyway, like IPtables etc.

    --
    Yellow Submarine?
    Nah. Its a TeaPot!

  4. Re: Install with only cd1

    Mike wrote in
    news:bjmmi.20392$jY5.5226@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.u k:

    > Responding to Stanislaw Flatto...
    >> frz wrote:
    >>> Hi folks, I plan on installing Slackware 12 and I was wondering if I
    >>> can just do a setup and install slackware using just cd1 and then
    >>> download the rest later. I am right now on winxp, I don't have
    >>> connection at home and just finished dlding cd1 torrent isofile.

    >>>I don't have any linux
    >>> distribution currently install, just winxp.

    >> Does MS know? Is it in EULA?
    >>
    >> I am on an IBM thinkpad T42.
    >>> Thank

    >> From memory: If this CD includes /a and /ap sections you can have a
    >> _very_ basic install, giving you a "DOS prompt" screen.
    >> It is workably, but NOT for first time user, who has winXP as
    >> reference.

    > To be fair, the Slackware CLI interface is not that "basic". You can
    > do just about anything you can do, even without a GUI installed.
    > Switching between applications, running a graphics capable browser,
    > file management, Email, newsgroups, all available from commandline
    > applications.
    >
    > There should be no problem installing and running from a "basic"
    > install from a single CDROM, then grabbing the bits you need to
    > "enhance" things later with a GUI and appropriate applications.
    >
    > I set up my old P90 with a CLI setup, and the only thing I missed was
    > all that graphic junk modern websites like to insist you download
    > just to read two paragraphs of text.
    >
    > Lynx/Links browsers - Midnight Commander file manager - Pine
    > Email/Newsgroups - ncftp ftp application.
    >
    > And don't forget that most of the really important tools will be CLI
    > anyway, like IPtables etc.
    >
    > --
    > Yellow Submarine?
    > Nah. Its a TeaPot!
    > www.tinyurl.com/382gmp

    Yeah, thanks. I am currently dlding the second cd. I did the
    installation with the that cd, just finished it this morning and its
    working pretty good right now. I am able to boot and loggon in both
    systems. One of the most importing things for me is setting up my build-
    in wireless and be able to access information without having to keep
    switching to windows.

  5. Re: Install with only cd1

    Responding to frz...

    [...]
    >> And don't forget that most of the really important tools will be CLI
    >> anyway, like IPtables etc.
    >>

    > Yeah, thanks. I am currently dlding the second cd. I did the
    > installation with the that cd, just finished it this morning and its
    > working pretty good right now. I am able to boot and loggon in both
    > systems. One of the most importing things for me is setting up my build-
    > in wireless and be able to access information without having to keep
    > switching to windows.

    Not too sure why you'd want to switch to Windows?

    Anyhoo, don't forget to read the man page for stuff like hosts.allow,
    login.access, iptables, and find out how many things you can hash out
    of /etc/inetd.conf (probably most things). (Hint! Keep copies of
    original config files in case you SNAFU something!)

    Then there will be setting limitations on your /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    file, establishing known_hosts and authorized_keys for your network
    connections via ssh, deleting telnet and rlogin (should not even be
    on a modern system by default IMO!) and limiting things like minicom
    and so on. And don't forget to add the --nolisten tcp option to your
    X11 start up script. Don't want that listening to the world!

    I'm sure there would be lots of suggestions on this NG on how you
    could set all this up.

    --
    Yellow Submarine?
    Nah. Its a TeaPot!

  6. Re: Install with only cd1

    frz a écrit :
    > Hi folks, I plan on installing Slackware 12 and I was wondering if I can
    > just do a setup and install slackware using just cd1 and then download the
    > rest later. I am right now on winxp, I don't have connection at home and
    > just finished dlding cd1 torrent isofile. I don't have any linux
    > distribution currently install, just winxp. I am on an IBM thinkpad T42.
    > Thank

    There's a fine documentation site about exotic install scenarios:
    www.slackbasics.org.

    What you can do: install what you can do from the CD, configure your
    network, and then get the rest (rsync, lynx, lftp, wget, your choice
    D). In theory A, AP and N groups should be enough. Even a fraction of
    these, in fact. Kernel, few libs, shell, tcp/ip and some download
    client, and there you go. Welcome to the wonderful world of Slackware.

    Cheers,

    Niki

  7. Re: Install with only cd1

    On Jul 16, 5:02 pm, Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > frz a écrit :
    >
    > > Hi folks, I plan on installing Slackware 12 and I was wondering if I can
    > > just do a setup and install slackware using just cd1 and then download the
    > > rest later. I am right now on winxp, I don't have connection at home and
    > > just finished dlding cd1 torrent isofile. I don't have any linux
    > > distribution currently install, just winxp. I am on an IBM thinkpad T42.
    > > Thank

    > There's a fine documentation site about exotic install scenarios:www.slackbasics.org.
    >
    > What you can do: install what you can do from the CD, configure your
    > network, and then get the rest (rsync, lynx, lftp, wget, your choice
    > D). In theory A, AP and N groups should be enough. Even a fraction of
    > these, in fact. Kernel, few libs, shell, tcp/ip and some download
    > client, and there you go. Welcome to the wonderful world of Slackware.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Niki

    Hi Folks, thanks for all the replies

+ Reply to Thread