REQ: Best Slackware intro . . . - Slackware

This is a discussion on REQ: Best Slackware intro . . . - Slackware ; On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:58:47 +0000, Roger Manyard wrote: > the linux/unix OS is not that difficult to understand, > and there is all kinds of info out there explaining it. > > The windoze stuff, on the other ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 64 of 64

  1. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:58:47 +0000, Roger Manyard wrote:

    > the linux/unix OS is not that difficult to understand,
    > and there is all kinds of info out there explaining it.
    >
    > The windoze stuff, on the other hand, changes every five minutes and
    > nobody except, perhaps, Bill Gates' pet poodle, really knows what the
    > hell is going on there.

  2. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Roger Manyard wrote:

    > The windoze stuff, on the other hand, changes every five minutes and
    > nobody except, perhaps, Bill Gates' pet poodle, really knows what the
    > hell is going on there.

    The all to frequent change - in windows world but also many linux
    distros are guilty of this - is one of the reasons why I prefer
    slackware. Which is very stable in this regard.

    Afterall any OS is a tool that helps us get things done. Why should I
    re-learn how to use the tool every time a new version comes out? Every
    time I do this is one time too many - a waste of time.

    Dawid Michalczyk
    http://www.comp.eonworks.com _Linux SysAdmin and Webmaster scripts_

  3. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    loki harfagr trolled:

    >My dear old rm, to see you posting this makes me think about your
    >old recurrent drivel about --chiron-- the fugitive (remember ;-)...

    > Please don't get as noisy and boring as he was }->

    Ok, just for you.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    http://sports.jrank.org/pages/4065/R...lishments.html

  4. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:51:20 -0800,
    MikeinAK wrote:
    > mann.calvin.eet@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> And then I searched this newsgroup and found the Book of Slack,
    >> which looks good.
    >>
    >> Still, I'd appreciate pointers towards any other tutorials you guys
    >> suggest.

    > Calvin if your heart is set on slackware here are a few i would recommend.
    >
    > Slackware Linux Essentials (like RM suggested)
    > Linux System Commands (the ultimate shop manual)
    > Linux and Unix Shell Programming (if your interested)
    > Learning the bash shell (see above)
    > VI Editor Pocket Reference (might be handy)
    >
    > I would go to your local barnes and noble, grab a cup of good
    > coffee and sit down with a few of these and look them over.

    Good suggestion, browsing at bookstores was helpful for me too.

    It doesn't cover Slackware, but I've found the book "Linux
    Administration Handbook" by Nemeth, Snyder, and Hein to be an
    excellent source of information about how Linux systems work.
    Lots of useful examples, and enjoyable reading to boot!

    --
    Theodore (Ted) Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4