REQ: Best Slackware intro . . . - Slackware

This is a discussion on REQ: Best Slackware intro . . . - Slackware ; On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:10:24 -0400, Warren Oates wrote: > In article , > Keith Keller wrote: > >> (Now, had the OP asked, "Which distribution has a human touch?", you >> could have responded legitimately.) > > Which ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64

  1. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:10:24 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Keith Keller wrote:
    >
    >> (Now, had the OP asked, "Which distribution has a human touch?", you
    >> could have responded legitimately.)

    > Which distro will end all war and defeat the Republicans and bring
    > universal health care to all? PassTheHealingFeather Linux!

    Wasn't that this late fork from 'TheFaithHealer Linux' ?-)

  2. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:33:29 GMT, rm@baseballproctologist.com (Roger
    Manyard) wrote:

    >Faux_Pseudo trolled:

    You are totally incapable of taking an objective look at slackware.

    Just an observation, the same can be said of you.

    >cordially, as always,
    >
    >rm

  3. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Thanks for the links, folks! Got me a slew of bookmarks, there, that
    ought to give me a good leg up.

    Not married to Slackware, for those who expressed opinions on that,
    by the way. I want to learn linux, and it seems a nice enough distro.
    It's quite popular, apparently.

    And to weigh in on an issue . . . . engineers keep technicians
    around so they have someone to ask how things actually work.
    Thermodynamics II breaks a person . . . you're no good afterwards.
    I've seen it many times.

    Thanks again,
    Calvin

  4. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Roger Manyard wrote:

    > HJohnson trolled:
    >>Roger Manyard wrote:

    >>> The next time we will simply download the distro, delete the
    >>> offending files, and then make a cash donation to slackware which
    >>> will be the cost of the distro less the book's price.

    >>erm.....in how many and whose names will you donate? I mean, which of the
    >>multiple personalities that you contain, will this donation be made?

    > There is only one of us.

    ^^^ US? US?!?

    Which one of you is the 'US'? I mean, is it going to be Realto, Realto,
    Roger or any one of your multiple personalities?

    --
    humjohn AT aerosurf DOT net

  5. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    HJohnson wrote:

    *plonk*
    30 days for egregious troll-feeding

  6. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Althiom trolled:
    >On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:33:29 GMT, rm@baseballproctologist.com (Roger
    >Manyard) wrote:

    >>Faux_Pseudo trolled:
    >>

    > You are totally incapable of taking an objective look at slackware.

    >Just an observation, the same can be said of you.

    We have been using slackware pretty much exclusively for many years
    now. We know its strengths and weaknesses as well as most. What
    you clowns don't seem to grasp is that once the system is up and
    running, there is virtually no difference between any distros,
    except when you have to add applications. And if you compile them
    from source as we usually do, even that isn't any different.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  7. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    HJohnson trolled:
    >Roger Manyard wrote:

    >> What is the Nextel Cup? What on earth are you going on about
    >> now?

    >Hrm...... Have not been getting to see much of the real world (tm)
    >lately? Don't you know who and what is going on in Real Life(c)
    >these days?

    We just googled and found that the Nextel Cup belongs to NASCAR.
    We are a huge sport fan, but seeing as how car racing isn't a sport,
    there is no reason why we should know what it is.

    >> Have you been smoking too much pgp trash?

    >Haven't been taking your pills, lately, RM?

    We asked first.

    >> What on earth is the point of all this garbage below?

    >Just a little something to tick you off, with......

    So when are you going to start using it?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  8. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:05:55 +0000, Roger Manyard wrote:

    > We just googled and found that the Nextel Cup belongs to NASCAR.

    Ah, darn, and now I'll eventually have to google for 'NASCAR'!

    Why don't you all just talk about sensible stuff, like say Slackware,
    at least that'd be related to the group name, please if I wanted to
    see some kooks or stoopids I could plug me into any adapted
    group like alt.religion*, alt.politics*, alt.sports*...

  9. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    loki harfagr wrote:

    >Roger Manyard wrote:

    The name is Maynard. Roger Maynard. The use of "Manyard"
    is an attempt at hiding his true name.

    If nobody replies, eventually he will get tired of shouting
    into an empty hall and will gos somewhere wher he gets the
    attention he craves.

  10. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Guy Macon trolled:
    >loki harfagr wrote:
    >>Roger Manyard wrote:

    >The name is Manyard. Roger Manyard. The use of "Manyard" is an
    >attempt at hiding his true name.

    Actually, if you do a proper google search, you'll find that our
    name is something of a mystery, even to ourself. But most folks
    refer to us as Ron Matthews.

    >If nobody replies, eventually he will get tired of shouting
    >into an empty hall and will gos somewhere wher he gets the
    >attention he craves.

    We don't put our name, whatever it really is, into the subject lines
    of our postings. It's clear who craves the attention.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  11. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    The Slack book is basic but very clearly written, I can recommend it.
    Then there is the man for each command. Also the apropos command is very
    useful. I can also recommend the HOW-TOs and other docs at http://tldp.org/

    It takes a while but once you see the light you'll gradually develop a
    growing appreciation for the unix way of doing things.

    --
    Dawid Michalczyk
    http://www.comp.eonworks.com _Linux SysAdmin and Webmaster scripts_

  12. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    the_bmac writes:

    > HJohnson wrote:
    >
    > *plonk*
    > 30 days for egregious troll-feeding

    Heh. Every group has some sad, self important dip**** who feels the need
    to share his killfile and his sentencing of perceived offenders with the
    rest of his NG cronies. Pathetic.

  13. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Hadron wrote:

    yawwwnnnn.....
    join yer pals buttwinkle
    *plonk*

  14. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:21:25 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > the_bmac writes:
    >
    >> HJohnson wrote:
    >>
    >> *plonk*
    >> 30 days for egregious troll-feeding

    > Heh. Every group has some sad, self important dip**** who feels the need
    > to share his killfile and his sentencing of perceived offenders with the
    > rest of his NG cronies. Pathetic.

    Indeed. This "the_bmac" is as pathetic as they come (with the possible
    exception of the resident troll, "rm").

  15. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    the_bmac writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    > yawwwnnnn.....
    > join yer pals buttwinkle
    > *plonk*

    Oh sweet! He's done it again!

    Arrrr ..........!!!!!!!!

  16. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Dan C wrote:

    > Indeed. *This "the_bmac" is as pathetic as they come (with the possible
    > exception of the resident troll, "rm").

    He seems to use *PLONK* as some kind of ego massage mechanism.
    As he, allegedly, can't see posts from either you or I, then we'll have to
    let someone quote us to see him *plonk* them to express further 'outrage'.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  17. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Two Ravens writes:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> Indeed. *This "the_bmac" is as pathetic as they come (with the possible
    >> exception of the resident troll, "rm").

    > He seems to use *PLONK* as some kind of ego massage mechanism.
    > As he, allegedly, can't see posts from either you or I, then we'll have to
    > let someone quote us to see him *plonk* them to express further
    > 'outrage'.

    Well, he won't know that I suspect he is that complete and utter moron
    "chrisv" from comp.os.linux.advocacy - he is a plonker and a half. But
    with me being plonked, bmac won't know that ...

  18. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Hadron wrote:

    > Well, he won't know that I suspect he is that complete and utter moron
    > "chrisv" from comp.os.linux.advocacy - he is a plonker and a half. But
    > with me being plonked, bmac won't know that ...

    Its an interesting phenomena isn't it? A public expression of disapproval
    which leaves one in no position to see if the one that one disapproves of
    may actually apologise, or indeed may have not intended his post to be
    interpreted that way at all, there are after all, several who post here
    for whom English is not their first language.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  19. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Dawid Michalczyk trolled:

    >The Slack book is basic but very clearly written, I can recommend
    >it. Then there is the man for each command. Also the apropos
    >command is very useful. I can also recommend the HOW-TOs and other
    >docs at http://tldp.org/

    >It takes a while but once you see the light you'll gradually
    >develop a growing appreciation for the unix way of doing things.

    And the main reasons why you will develop this growing appreciation
    are because the linux/unix OS is not that difficult to understand,
    and there is all kinds of info out there explaining it.

    The windoze stuff, on the other hand, changes every five minutes and
    nobody except, perhaps, Bill Gates' pet poodle, really knows what the
    hell is going on there.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  20. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:15:22 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > the_bmac writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> yawwwnnnn.....
    >> join yer pals buttwinkle
    >> *plonk*

    > Oh sweet! He's done it again!

    My dear old rm, to see you posting this makes me think
    about your old recurrent drivel about --chiron-- the
    fugitive (remember ;-)...

    Please don't get as noisy and boring as he was }->