REQ: Best Slackware intro . . . - Slackware

This is a discussion on REQ: Best Slackware intro . . . - Slackware ; On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:17:25 +0000, Michael Black wrote: > will check long before you move on. Multitasking operating systems do > act like they are doing all kinds of things at the same time, simply > because they ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

  1. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:17:25 +0000, Michael Black wrote:

    > will check long before you move on. Multitasking operating systems do
    > act like they are doing all kinds of things at the same time, simply
    > because they switch around fast enough for most things that you never
    > notice. But there is a delay (however small) that is too much of a
    > delay for some applications.

    In the past for some applications even dedicated CPU time wasn't fast
    enough.

    I'm not privy to the latest developments in this but around 1993 they
    began working on computer controlled suspension for automobiles.

    So they first step is getting the car wired with sensors and servos,
    what not...

    Now comes the computational tasks. Unfortunately the data from the
    sensors end up forming a bunch of nasty differential equations that can
    only be solved with software using a numerical methods approach which
    takes some serious CPU time.

    The result was the car would go around the turn and then after that the
    suspension adjusted - Too much lag time. The fastest CPU's failed in
    this numerical methods approach.

    The solution was to use OpAmps...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opamp

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    HJohnson trolled:
    >Roger Manyard wrote:

    >> The next time we will simply download the distro, delete the
    >> offending files, and then make a cash donation to slackware which
    >> will be the cost of the distro less the book's price.

    >erm.....in how many and whose names will you donate? I mean, which of the
    >multiple personalities that you contain, will this donation be made?

    There is only one of us.

    cordially, as always,

    rm et al

  3. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Glyn Millington trolled:
    >rm@baseballproctologist.com (Roger Manyard) writes:

    >> Eef Hartman trolled:
    >>>Having said this, I now go back to my normal policy of ignoring
    >>>everything which is said by or towards rm.

    >> Right. How did you know about this thread?

    >Perhaps because he hasn't kill-filed me yet!! But I wouldn't blame
    >anyone for doing so after this blatant bit of troll-feeding. Just
    >didn't want the newcomers to think that your damning by faint
    >praise of the Slackbook was justified.

    >Time to re-align my karma and shut shut up.

    Yes but you have not told us yet what you think of slackware.com
    offering the printed version for sale without bothering to tell
    customers that there are 3 copies of the manual already included
    with the software.

    What do you have to say about that?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  4. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

  5. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    mann.calvin.eet@gmail.com wrote:
    > Folks,
    > I'm an Electronic Engineering Tech student with a 1 GHz computer in
    > my back room that was storage and has recently been rendered obsolete
    > by a tasty .5 TB drive I've slapped on the living room system (which
    > must be a windows station by order of my wife.)
    > Always wanted a linux box, and I figure learning Linux as invaluable
    > for my course of studies in any case, so, as I have the spare
    > hardware, the time is now. . . .
    > I installed Slackware once years ago, then found myself staring
    > blankly at a command line, unable to summon up a gui, without
    > guidance . . .you know. Found it much easier to boot SLAX and roll.
    > I'm no stranger to the command line . . . I'm 36, remember when
    > windows was a program you ran, bought issues of byte magazine to get
    > code to punch into my C-64 . . . but Linux command line - worse than
    > greek to me.
    > I can't be alone here, and I know there's others out there in the
    > same boat, so I'm guessing there's an awesome tutorial out there that
    > starts with a linux distro in your hand and an unpartitioned drive in
    > front of you and ends up happily ever after in KDE or similar . . .
    >
    > But where? I've googled myself silly, so I'm turning to y'all.
    >
    > Calvin

    Hello Calvin,

    reading all the postings regarding your questions, I would give you the
    advice to switch to Ubuntu and send your questions to
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu. There is still a human touch.

    Greetings, Wolfgang (using UNIX systems since 23 years and happy with
    Ubuntu)

  6. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    On 2007-07-12, Wolfgang Lindner wrote:

    > reading all the postings regarding your questions, I would give you the
    > advice to switch to Ubuntu and send your questions to
    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu. There is still a human touch.
    >
    > Greetings, Wolfgang (using UNIX systems since 23 years and happy with
    > Ubuntu)

    Then why are you trolling here? Yes, it's trolling when you extrapolate
    one thread in one newsgroup to an entire distribution.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  7. Please don't feed the Trolls

    "Usenet being what it is, if you participate in newsgroups
    at all over a period if time you have the possibility of
    attracting your own personal lunatic, who considers any
    disagreement a personal affront, and considers it their
    duty and obligation to "expose" the person they fixate on.
    It's kind of pathetic, but they can't quite seem to figure
    out why no one else sees their actions as heroic."
    -Richard Ward

    HJohnson wrote:

    >Realto wrote:

    *BLAM!* <-- that's the sound my "delete to end of document" key makes.

    I didn't read your response (I assume that is was critical of
    Roger Maynard (AKA Realto and many other morphs)) because doing
    that would have exposed me to the his writing, and I NEVER read
    such low-IQ flamebait. It really is quite boring and repetitive,
    and there are far more entertaining flamers around, so why waste
    time reading the same old same old over and over?

    I would like to say this, though; you are giving him the attention
    -- even negative attention will do -- that he so despirately craves
    when you reply. Some here make a sport out of trollbaiting, and I
    can't really blame them, but as a general rule they don't respond
    to Roger Maynard attacking me. This is because they choose to honor
    my stated preference that such posts get no replies. It's not like
    there aren't plenty of other troll posts to flame Roger Maynard over...

    Here is some fine advice from the Irish FAQ at
    [ http://www.geocities.com/welisc/ifaq/part01.html#5 ]:

    | 5) What is a troll? What should I do when I see one?
    |
    | A troll is an attempt to start a prolonged flame war (a fierce
    | argument with rude, personal insults). A troll is usually an
    | article that is so outrageous, insulting and stupid that you
    | feel you have to reply. You can often recognise it because it
    | is crossposted to several groups (very few articles posted to
    | more than three groups are worth reading). If it is posted by
    | someone from whom you have never seen posts before (especially
    | if they are using an anonymous account), it is likely to be a
    | troll. Trolls will often flagrantly violate basic netiquette.
    |
    | If you see a troll, the one thing you must not do is post an
    | angry reply. If you do, the troller will have succeeded. It
    | is better to ignore the troll. Trolls crave attention and
    | responding to them encourages them to keep posting.
    | soc.culture.irish has at times been overwhelmed with trolls
    | posting racist or sectarian rubbish that people naturally
    | wish to refute. Unfortunately, most trolls have an IQ only
    | slightly above room temperature and attempting to enlighten
    | them is an exercise in futility and frustration. Life is
    | too short to waste it arguing with these morons. The huge
    | waste of bandwidth caused by a troll's posts and responses
    | to them destroys much of the enjoyment to be had from
    | reading s.c.i. Arguing with a troll will not make them go
    | away but only encourage them to continue polluting the
    | newsgroup. The only effective way to get rid of a troll
    | is to ignore it. This admonition is considered so important
    | that it has been enshrined in the Lex Cunninghamensis,
    | which states:
    |
    | **************************
    | * Do not feed the trolls *
    | **************************
    |
    | If you have a killfile facility (sometimes called a filter)
    | in your newsreader, you can set it to ignore future posts
    | from the troll. This facility is named BlockSender in Outlook
    | Express. A good newsreader can also be set to "kill" a subject
    | (ignore future posts with that subject line).
    |

    | http://www.geocities.com/welisc/ifaq/part01.html#5

  8. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Keith Keller wrote:
    > On 2007-07-12, Wolfgang Lindner wrote:
    >> reading all the postings regarding your questions, I would give you the
    >> advice to switch to Ubuntu and send your questions to
    >> alt.os.linux.ubuntu. There is still a human touch.
    >>
    >> Greetings, Wolfgang (using UNIX systems since 23 years and happy with
    >> Ubuntu)

    > Then why are you trolling here? Yes, it's trolling when you extrapolate
    > one thread in one newsgroup to an entire distribution.
    >
    > --keith

    I didn't extrapolate from one thread...
    and I am not reading only this newsgroup

  9. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    On 2007-07-12, Wolfgang Lindner wrote:
    > Keith Keller wrote:
    >> On 2007-07-12, Wolfgang Lindner wrote:
    >>> reading all the postings regarding your questions, I would give you the
    >>> advice to switch to Ubuntu and send your questions to
    >>> alt.os.linux.ubuntu. There is still a human touch.
    >>>
    >>> Greetings, Wolfgang (using UNIX systems since 23 years and happy with
    >>> Ubuntu)

    >> Then why are you trolling here? Yes, it's trolling when you extrapolate
    >> one thread in one newsgroup to an entire distribution.

    > I didn't extrapolate from one thread...
    > and I am not reading only this newsgroup

    Be that as it may, you were still trolling. If you wish to post
    unsolicited advice about linux distro to use, post to
    comp.os.linux.advocacy. (Now, had the OP asked, "Which distribution
    has a human touch?", you could have responded legitimately.)

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  10. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    et472@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:
    >> A real time OS has mechanisms to guarantee that a given task can be
    >> completed within a certain time. Such mechanisms usually include things
    >> like real time priorities where the task with the highest priority is
    >> permitted to run uniterrupted until it is done and by its own will leaves
    >> the CPU for other tasks.

    > It's worth contrasting with Linux, where it doesn't matter if the kernel
    > isn't waiting for you when you press the key on the keyboard, because it
    > will check long before you move on. Multitasking operating systems do
    > act like they are doing all kinds of things at the same time, simply
    > because they switch around fast enough for most things that you never
    > notice. But there is a delay (however small) that is too much of a
    > delay for some applications.

    There are different kind of real time addons for Linux like RTLinux, but
    even with a standard Linux system you have some real time capabilities
    thanks to the real time extensions defined in the posix 1b standard.
    That API inludes functions calls like sched_setscheduler (see man
    sched_setscheduler for more info) which allows you to give real time
    priorities to processes. A process with a real time priority will keep the
    CPU until it gives away the CPU by its own will or until another process
    with a higher real time priority needs the CPU. All processes with normal
    priorities will work as before with preemptive multitasking, but the
    normal processes will only get any CPU if it isn't needed by any real time
    process.

    Such real time processes can hang the entire machine if they get stuck in
    an infinite loop. Unless the computer has more CPUs than working real time
    processes there will be no CPU left to handle mouse movements, terminals
    or ssh daemons. Because of this you will need root privileges to set those
    priorities.

    These posix real time extensions are usually good enough for "soft real
    time applikations" where there is no disaster if a timing requirement is
    not met. It is not good enough for "hard real time applications" as Linux
    might still take the CPU from a real time process to handle an interrupt
    routine.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  11. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Wolfgang Lindner trolled:
    >mann.calvin.eet@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Folks,
    >> I'm an Electronic Engineering Tech student with a 1 GHz computer in
    >> my back room that was storage and has recently been rendered obsolete
    >> by a tasty .5 TB drive I've slapped on the living room system (which
    >> must be a windows station by order of my wife.)

    You've probably come to the wrong group. The Engineers that post
    here don't have any education at all. They are self-taught. And we
    aren't talking techies. We're talking full-fledged Engineers. Or
    at least so they say.

    www.guymacon.com

    Take a gander.

    >> Always wanted a linux box, and I figure learning Linux as
    >> invaluable for my course of studies in any case, so, as I have
    >> the spare hardware, the time is now. . . . I installed Slackware
    >> once years ago, then found myself staring blankly at a command
    >> line, unable to summon up a gui, without guidance . . .you know.
    >> Found it much easier to boot SLAX and roll. I'm no stranger to
    >> the command line . . . I'm 36, remember when windows was a
    >> program you ran, bought issues of byte magazine to get code to
    >> punch into my C-64 . . . but Linux command line - worse than
    >> greek to me.

    Remember when Byte used to be a thick magazine? Is Jerry Pournelle
    still there? The last time we saw an issue it was almost as thin as
    Guy Macon's wallet.

    >Hello Calvin,

    >reading all the postings regarding your questions, I would give you
    >the advice to switch to Ubuntu and send your questions to
    >alt.os.linux.ubuntu. There is still a human touch.

    >Greetings, Wolfgang (using UNIX systems since 23 years and happy
    >with Ubuntu)

    Perfect advice. Ubuntu is much easier to learn if you are
    intimidated by the command line.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  12. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Keith Keller trolled:
    >On 2007-07-12, Wolfgang Lindner wrote:

    >> reading all the postings regarding your questions, I would give
    >> you the advice to switch to Ubuntu and send your questions to
    >> alt.os.linux.ubuntu. There is still a human touch.

    >> Greetings, Wolfgang (using UNIX systems since 23 years and happy
    >> with Ubuntu)

    >Then why are you trolling here? Yes, it's trolling when you extrapolate
    >one thread in one newsgroup to an entire distribution.

    Nope. Advice was asked and the best advice was given. We know that
    you would advise somebody intimidated by the CLI to try slackware,
    because you're a slackware zealot. You'd probably trot out the
    false and worn out cliche that he would "learn more" using
    slackware. Well it is true. With slackware you have to learn all
    kinds of stuff that you don't need to know to effectively admin
    other distributions.

    Why don't you show the other trash trollers how to bury their pgp
    trash in their headers like you do?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  13. Re: Please don't feed the Trolls

    Guy Macon trolled:

    Who the **** is Richard Ward? Is he another Electrical Engineer?

    >*BLAM!* <-- that's the sound my "delete to end of document" key
    >makes.

    But you read it first, didn't you? And that's why you responded
    with this ridiculous outburst.

    Who the **** is Roger Maynard?

    >I would like to say this, though; you are giving him the attention
    >-- even negative attention will do -- that he so despirately craves

    The word is "desperately." And we all crave. That's what the
    Buddha says, anyway.

    >when you reply. Some here make a sport out of trollbaiting, and I
    >can't really blame them, but as a general rule they don't respond
    >to Roger Maynard attacking me. This is because they choose to
    >honor my stated preference that such posts get no replies. It's
    >not like there aren't plenty of other troll posts to flame Roger
    >Maynard over...

    Nobody gives a damn about your preferences, except perhaps, for the
    guys down at the gym. We remember the time you and the guys all got
    together for a good laugh when we called you a tub of lard.

    http://www.guymacon.com

    Readers can side with the guys at the gym, if they want. And if
    they are blind.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  14. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Glyn Millington trolled:
    >rm@baseballproctologist.com (Roger Manyard) writes:

    >> Yes but you have not told us yet what you think of slackware.com
    >> offering the printed version for sale without bothering to tell
    >> customers that there are 3 copies of the manual already included
    >> with the software.

    >A previous poster has already said all that needs to be said on
    >that score - the website directs users to the on-line version OR to
    >the book if they want hard copy. I agree that it would help if
    >they were told it is on the CD too!!

    But the online version isn't any good unless the user is actually
    online. And if he is trying to setup his machine, especially if he
    is using ppp, then he won't be online, now, will he?

    So he'll have to send away for the "Essentials" book, not realizing
    that 3 copies already exist on his computer. Think he'll feel
    ripped off when he learns about the 3 copies? Or do you think he'll
    feel even more ripped off when he starts to read the "Essentials?"

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  15. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    Keith Keller trolled:

    >Be that as it may, you were still trolling. If you wish to post
    >unsolicited advice about linux distro to use, post to
    >comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    Nonsense. The original poster probably thinks that all distros rely
    on the CLI to the same extent that slackware does. Advising the OP
    otherwise was doing him a good turn.

    But you're a zealot. You'd rather convince him that slackware is
    the most user-friendly of all distros.

    The truth put an end to your little plan, didn't it?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  16. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    In article ,
    Keith Keller wrote:

    > (Now, had the OP asked, "Which distribution
    > has a human touch?", you could have responded legitimately.)

    Which distro will end all war and defeat the Republicans and bring
    universal health care to all? PassTheHealingFeather Linux!
    --
    W. Oates

  17. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

  18. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

  19. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    mann.calvin.eet@gmail.com wrote:

    > And then I searched this newsgroup and found the Book of Slack,
    > which looks good.
    >
    > Still, I'd appreciate pointers towards any other tutorials you guys
    > suggest.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Calvin

    Wow!! Who would have thought such a simple question could have gotten so out
    of control..damn!!!
    Calvin if your heart is set on slackware here are a few i would recommend.

    Slackware Linux Essentials (like RM suggested)
    Linux System Commands (the ultimate shop manual)
    Linux and Unix Shell Programming (if your interested)
    Learning the bash shell (see above)
    VI Editor Pocket Reference (might be handy)

    I would go to your local barnes and noble, grab a cup of good coffee and sit
    down with a few of these and look them over.

    Hope this helps
    MikeinAK

  20. Re: REQ: Best Slackware intro . . .

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:33:29 +0000, Roger Manyard wrote:

    > Modern hammers are electric contraptions that pound in nails with no
    > effort at all.

    I can't wait the time when this category of tools will be sold
    to end users. After a short time of bloat in the E.R.s and
    the Darwin Awards pages we'll maybe have a chance to find Earth at
    peace with room to spare )