Can only start X server as root - Slackware

This is a discussion on Can only start X server as root - Slackware ; Hello. I have just recently installed the newest version of Slackware (12.0) and of course I walked straight into a problem. The problem is that I can only start X as root. When I do a startx as a normal ...

  1. Can only start X server as root

    Hello.

    I have just recently installed the newest version of Slackware (12.0) and
    of course I walked straight into a problem. The problem is that I can
    only start X as root. When I do a startx as a normal user (or sudo startx
    for that matter), I get logged in, but nothing's happening. There's just
    a grey background with a big cursor-like thing. As said, nothing's
    happening, so I kill the X server (Ctrl + Alt + Backspace). When I'm
    thrown back into the command line shell again, there's alot of output
    (which is totally cryptic to me). There's so much output that I don't
    know what to google. I really hope someone can help me with this problem.

    You can find the output at the following URL:

    http://cl1p.net/slackware.x.output/

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Can only start X server as root

    Le 10.07.2007 10:42, Espen Jensen a écrit :
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have just recently installed the newest version of Slackware (12.0) and
    > of course I walked straight into a problem. The problem is that I can
    > only start X as root. When I do a startx as a normal user (or sudo startx
    > for that matter), I get logged in, but nothing's happening. There's just
    > a grey background with a big cursor-like thing. As said, nothing's
    > happening, so I kill the X server (Ctrl + Alt + Backspace). When I'm
    > thrown back into the command line shell again, there's alot of output
    > (which is totally cryptic to me). There's so much output that I don't
    > know what to google. I really hope someone can help me with this problem.
    >
    > You can find the output at the following URL:
    >
    > http://cl1p.net/slackware.x.output/
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I think the interesting part in your log is this :

    xauth: error in locking authority file /home/kadmium/.Xauthority

    I've googled this and it seems to be a permission issue.

    Try first to remove this file if it exist /home/kadmium/.Xauthority
    xorg will recreate a new one when it start.

    If that doesn't solved your problem, try to "chown" your personal folder
    with the root account chown -R kadmium /home/kadmium

    Hope this help

  3. Re: Can only start X server as root

    loop0 wrote:
    > Le 10.07.2007 10:42, Espen Jensen a écrit :
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> I have just recently installed the newest version of Slackware (12.0)
    >> and of course I walked straight into a problem. The problem is that I
    >> can only start X as root. When I do a startx as a normal user (or sudo
    >> startx for that matter), I get logged in, but nothing's happening.
    >> There's just a grey background with a big cursor-like thing. As said,
    >> nothing's happening, so I kill the X server (Ctrl + Alt + Backspace).
    >> When I'm thrown back into the command line shell again, there's alot
    >> of output (which is totally cryptic to me). There's so much output
    >> that I don't know what to google. I really hope someone can help me
    >> with this problem.
    >>
    >> You can find the output at the following URL:
    >>
    >> http://cl1p.net/slackware.x.output/
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > I think the interesting part in your log is this :
    >
    > xauth: error in locking authority file /home/kadmium/.Xauthority
    >
    > I've googled this and it seems to be a permission issue.
    >
    > Try first to remove this file if it exist /home/kadmium/.Xauthority
    > xorg will recreate a new one when it start.

    Also, check the permissions on your home directory (presumably
    /home/kadmium). `ls -ld /home/kadmium` should return

    drwx--x--x ... kadmium kadmium ... /home/kadmium

    Where ... designates unimportant information.
    You might also copy /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.kde to ~/.xinitrc

    > If that doesn't solved your problem, try to "chown" your personal folder
    > with the root account chown -R kadmium /home/kadmium

    Not a good idea -- this will cause more problems than it solves.

+ Reply to Thread