How Many CDs for Slackware 12 do I need? - Slackware

This is a discussion on How Many CDs for Slackware 12 do I need? - Slackware ; Just wondering how many CD's to download for slackware 12. Last time 2 CD's were fine for minimal installation but I'm wondering if thats changed now any advice?...

  1. How Many CDs for Slackware 12 do I need?

    Just wondering how many CD's to download for slackware 12. Last time
    2 CD's were fine for minimal installation but I'm wondering if thats
    changed now any advice?

  2. Re: How Many CDs for Slackware 12 do I need?

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 17:55:03 -0700, anon@razza.org wrote:

    >Just wondering how many CD's to download for slackware 12. Last time
    >2 CD's were fine for minimal installation but I'm wondering if thats
    >changed now any advice?

    The first two will do it.

  3. Re: How Many CDs for Slackware 12 do I need?

    James V. Bohen wrote on Wednesday 04 July 2007 19:42
    in alt.os.linux.slackware <95jo83l3vdmo2ebisbuk4lbikbfp050rjv@4ax.com>:

    > On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 17:55:03 -0700, anon@razza.org wrote:
    >
    >>Just wondering how many CD's to download for slackware 12.

    > The first two will do it.

    I wonder how many floppies you would need...

    (BTW, Linux no longer boots from floppies. Presumably you /could/ use
    FreeDOS to munge the hard drive and get the files to it.)

    --
    My address happens to be com (dot) gmail (at) usenet (plus) chbarts,
    wardsback and translated.

  4. Re: How Many CDs for Slackware 12 do I need?

    Chris Barts trolled:

    > I wonder how many floppies you would need...

    > (BTW, Linux no longer boots from floppies. Presumably you /could/
    > use FreeDOS to munge the hard drive and get the files to it.)

    How big a partition will freedos support, anyways? Wasn't the limit
    on the last version of msdos 2 gigs?

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    .... the only things that separate it (slackware) from others are the
    things it lacks... not has. -- ANC

  5. Re: How Many CDs for Slackware 12 do I need?

    On 2007-07-05, Chris Barts wrote:
    >> On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 17:55:03 -0700, anon@razza.org wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just wondering how many CD's to download for slackware 12.

    > I wonder how many floppies you would need...

    All of them!

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  6. Re: How Many CDs for Slackware 12 do I need?

    anon@razza.org wrote:
    > Just wondering how many CD's to download for slackware 12. Last time
    > 2 CD's were fine for minimal installation but I'm wondering if thats
    > changed now any advice?

    Same as before: 1CD for server, 2CD for desktop/workstation.

    --
    Milan Babuskov
    http://home.gna.org/vodovod

  7. Re: How Many CDs for Slackware 12 do I need?

    Milan Babuskov wrote:
    > Same as before: 1CD for server, 2CD for desktop/workstation.

    Unless you need international support in kde (KDEI is on CD 3),
    and some stuff in /extra is on CD 3 too.
    Pasture (like the gcc 3.x compiler) en /testing is on CD 5 (!)

    See the "torrents" page on the Slackware website to see "what is on
    which CD": http://www.slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **