Everything's green - Slackware

This is a discussion on Everything's green - Slackware ; I have an IBM ThinkPad 600x, formerly running Slackware 11. I installed 12 without incident, fired up KDE. Everything that's supposed to be blue looks green, even the American flag. In printing terms, it's like one of the color plates ...

  1. Everything's green

    I have an IBM ThinkPad 600x, formerly running Slackware 11. I
    installed 12 without incident, fired up KDE. Everything that's
    supposed to be blue looks green, even the American flag. In printing
    terms, it's like one of the color plates is missing. Reinstalled 11
    and it's back to normal. What am I missing?

    Jim Bohen

  2. Re: Everything's green

    James V. Bohen trolled:

    > I have an IBM ThinkPad 600x, formerly running Slackware 11. I
    > installed 12 without incident, fired up KDE. Everything that's
    > supposed to be blue looks green, even the American flag. In
    > printing terms, it's like one of the color plates is missing.
    > Reinstalled 11 and it's back to normal. What am I missing?

    Perhaps the KDE from 12 is boogered for your system. Why don't you
    try replacing the KDE? Either with the one from 11.0 or a different
    version off the net? You might try a different windowmanager and
    see if there is a colour problem there as well.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  3. Re: Everything's green

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 23:33:11 GMT, rm@justlinux.ca (Rhonda Moffat)
    wrote:

    >Perhaps the KDE from 12 is boogered for your system. Why don't you
    >try replacing the KDE? Either with the one from 11.0 or a different
    >version off the net? You might try a different windowmanager and
    >see if there is a colour problem there as well.

    xfce has the same problem.

    Jim Bohen

  4. Re: Everything's green

    James V. Bohen wrote:
    > Everything that's supposed to be blue looks green, even the American
    > flag. In printing terms, it's like one of the color plates is missing.
    > Reinstalled 11 and it's back to normal. What am I missing?

    This sounds really odd. Are you using 16-bit color depth? What does the
    command " xdpyinfo | grep masks" give? Would it help to switch to 24-bit
    color depth or 8-bit paletted colors? (edit xorg.conf to try this)

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  5. Re: Everything's green

    James V. Bohen wrote:
    > I have an IBM ThinkPad 600x, formerly running Slackware 11. I
    > installed 12 without incident, fired up KDE. Everything that's
    > supposed to be blue looks green, even the American flag. In printing
    > terms, it's like one of the color plates is missing. Reinstalled 11
    > and it's back to normal. What am I missing?

    As Pat wrote, new Slack comes with new modular X. Perhaps it's missing
    the 'blue module'

    I think you should report the problem to Patrick directly.

    --
    Milan Babuskov
    http://home.gna.org/vodovod

  6. Re: Everything's green

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 23:19:33 +0000, James V. Bohen wrote:

    > I have an IBM ThinkPad 600x, formerly running Slackware 11. I installed
    > 12 without incident, fired up KDE. Everything that's supposed to be
    > blue looks green, even the American flag. In printing terms, it's like
    > one of the color plates is missing. Reinstalled 11 and it's back to
    > normal. What am I missing?
    >
    > Jim Bohen

    Get the proper video driver nVidia or ATI, etc., and check the xorg.conf
    is edited properly. Make sure the same driver that worked under 11 is in
    use. I suggest using the proprietary ones, not the stock drivers shipped
    with X.

    --
    Peter

  7. Re: Everything's green

    Peter trolled:
    >On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 23:19:33 +0000, James V. Bohen wrote:

    >> I have an IBM ThinkPad 600x, formerly running Slackware 11. I
    >> installed 12 without incident, fired up KDE. Everything that's
    >> supposed to be blue looks green, even the American flag. In
    >> printing terms, it's like one of the color plates is missing.
    >> Reinstalled 11 and it's back to normal. What am I missing?

    >Get the proper video driver nVidia or ATI, etc., and check the
    >xorg.conf is edited properly. Make sure the same driver that worked
    >under 11 is in use. I suggest using the proprietary ones, not the
    >stock drivers shipped with X.

    For that matter, he should use the same xorg.conf file for 12.0 that
    he used for 11.0.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    .... the only things that separate it (slackware) from others are the
    things it lacks... not has. -- ANC

  8. Re: Everything's green

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Realto wrote:

    [ . . . ]

    >> Get the proper video driver nVidia or ATI, etc., and check the
    >> xorg.conf is edited properly. Make sure the same driver that worked
    >> under 11 is in use. I suggest using the proprietary ones, not the
    >> stock drivers shipped with X.

    > For that matter, he should use the same xorg.conf file for 12.0 that
    > he used for 11.0.

    For that matter, he should not.

    From UPGRADE.TXT (for Slackware 12.0):
    "You will need to generate a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file after upgrading"

    Pawel Wlaz

  9. Re: Everything's green

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 00:11:26 +0000, James V. Bohen wrote:

    >>Perhaps the KDE from 12 is boogered for your system. Why don't you
    >>try replacing the KDE? Either with the one from 11.0 or a different
    >>version off the net? You might try a different windowmanager and
    >>see if there is a colour problem there as well.

    > xfce has the same problem.

    I have tested both KDE and XFCE on a test machine of mine, with no video
    problems. This machine uses an Nvidia video card.

  10. Re: Everything's green

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:50:20 +0000, Realto trolled:

    >>Get the proper video driver nVidia or ATI, etc., and check the
    >>xorg.conf is edited properly. Make sure the same driver that worked
    >>under 11 is in use. I suggest using the proprietary ones, not the
    >>stock drivers shipped with X.

    > For that matter, he should use the same xorg.conf file for 12.0 that
    > he used for 11.0.

    Wrong, n00b.

    Look it up.

  11. Re: Everything's green

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:05:26 +0200, Henrik Carlqvist
    wrote:

    >This sounds really odd. Are you using 16-bit color depth? What does the
    >command " xdpyinfo | grep masks" give? Would it help to switch to 24-bit
    >color depth or 8-bit paletted colors? (edit xorg.conf to try this)

    Reducing color depth from 24 to 16 fixed it. This was the suggestion
    on various sites for fixing various problems with this chip, NeoMagic
    MagicGraph256ZX (NM2360).

    Results from xdpyinfo | grep masks at 24-bit color depth:

    red, green, blue masks: 0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff

    Results from xdpyinfo | grep masks at 16-bit color depth:

    red, green, blue masks: 0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f

    Jim Bohen

  12. Re: Everything's green

  13. Re: Everything's green

    James V. Bohen wrote:
    > Reducing color depth from 24 to 16 fixed it.

    I'm not familiar with that graphics chipset, but maybe it would also help
    to increase the color depth to 32. 32-bit color will not give more colors
    than 24-bit color. However, some chipsets are better at handling 32-bit
    color than 24-bit color. But then again, if you don't need that many
    colors using 16-bit color is usually faster.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  14. Re: Everything's green

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 15:04:15 +0000, James V. Bohen wrote:

    kewl. soundz like good smoke.

    u got anie xtra, homie :-)

+ Reply to Thread