Gnome in Slackware 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Gnome in Slackware 12 - Slackware ; The question of Gnome has already arisen (again, sigh) several times. FWIW, I use Garnome for one reason. It does not affect the host system. It creates its own isolated environment into which it compiles all Gnome libraries, user-selected applications, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Gnome in Slackware 12

  1. Gnome in Slackware 12

    The question of Gnome has already arisen (again, sigh) several times.
    FWIW, I use Garnome for one reason. It does not affect the host system.
    It creates its own isolated environment into which it compiles all Gnome
    libraries, user-selected applications, and is very well documented.
    Packaged Gnomes, like Freerock, Dropline, and Gmane (I think they are way
    out of date though) overwrite system libraries.

    Garnome can be installed system-wide, and I put it in /opt/gnome/#.##.
    Only user X startup scripts need to be changed, mostly to include paths
    to the Garnome installation.

    If you like to protect your system and keep it Slackware, then consider
    this option.

    http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/

    --
    Peter

  2. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 10:17:26 +0000, Peter wrote:

    snip...
    > Packaged Gnomes, like Freerock, Dropline, and Gmane (I think they are
    > way out of date though) overwrite system libraries.


    Sorry. s/Gmane/Gware/

    > http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/


    --
    Peter

  3. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 10:17:26 +0000, Peter wrote:

    > The question of Gnome has already arisen (again, sigh) several times.
    > FWIW, I use Garnome for one reason. It does not affect the host system.
    > It creates its own isolated environment into which it compiles all Gnome
    > libraries, user-selected applications, and is very well documented.
    > Packaged Gnomes, like Freerock, Dropline, and Gmane (I think they are
    > way out of date though) overwrite system libraries.
    >
    > Garnome can be installed system-wide, and I put it in /opt/gnome/#.##.
    > Only user X startup scripts need to be changed, mostly to include paths
    > to the Garnome installation.
    >
    > If you like to protect your system and keep it Slackware, then consider
    > this option.
    >
    > http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/


    What do Freerock, Dropline and Gware provide that garnome does
    not?



  4. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 13:45:04 +0000, James H. Newman wrote:

    snip...

    >
    > What do Freerock, Dropline and Gware provide that garnome does
    > not?


    The only major difference is that the former are precompiled and
    packaged, more or less, ready to go. Garnome needs to be compiled which
    is fairly automatic.

    IMO, Garnome provides additional flexibility in that you do not need to
    install the entire Gnome suite. If you only want a few applications, but
    not the entire desktop, you can compile just those components and Garnome
    will make sure all dependent modules are also compiled.

    For example, I don't use Gnome, but rely on Evolution (which for some
    insane reason has allied itself only with Gnome and is its default mail
    reader). So, in order to get Evolution to work, I simply traverse to the
    Evolution directory and type make install. Then, Garnome goes to work
    bringing in all modules it requires.

    There's also a similar product, jhbuild, for Gnome, but I do not know as
    much about that.

    Garnome is very easy to customize, and works fine with Slackware. JM2C.

    --
    Peter

  5. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    Peter wrote:

    SNIP
    > Garnome can be installed system-wide, and I put it in /opt/gnome/#.##.
    > Only user X startup scripts need to be changed, mostly to include paths
    > to the Garnome installation.
    >
    > If you like to protect your system and keep it Slackware, then consider
    > this option.
    >
    > http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/
    >


    Hi!
    You seem to know a bit about garnome.
    I don't so I have a question.
    Can't get it to work always some 'libs' missing and so.
    Now I got this problem with :
    checking for XOpenDisplay... no
    Then configure error libX11 not found.
    What am I missing??

    Cheers
    //Mussemo
    use

  6. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 14:07:58 +0000, Peter wrote:

    > On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 13:45:04 +0000, James H. Newman wrote:
    >
    > snip...
    >
    >
    >> What do Freerock, Dropline and Gware provide that garnome does
    >> not?

    >
    > The only major difference is that the former are precompiled and
    > packaged, more or less, ready to go. Garnome needs to be compiled which
    > is fairly automatic.
    >
    > IMO, Garnome provides additional flexibility in that you do not need to
    > install the entire Gnome suite. If you only want a few applications, but
    > not the entire desktop, you can compile just those components and
    > Garnome will make sure all dependent modules are also compiled.
    >
    > For example, I don't use Gnome, but rely on Evolution (which for some
    > insane reason has allied itself only with Gnome and is its default mail
    > reader). So, in order to get Evolution to work, I simply traverse to the
    > Evolution directory and type make install. Then, Garnome goes to work
    > bringing in all modules it requires.
    >
    > There's also a similar product, jhbuild, for Gnome, but I do not know as
    > much about that.
    >
    > Garnome is very easy to customize, and works fine with Slackware. JM2C.


    Thanks for the info. I am certainly going to have a go at Garnome
    under Slackware 12. Quite frankly, I have lost my patience with Dropline
    et al. They are always late, both in Gnome and Slackware terms; they tend
    to mess with Slackware, destabilizing it; and they ALWAYS seem to install
    apps that do not work correctly.






  7. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:40:50 +0000, Mussemouse wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >
    > SNIP
    >> Garnome can be installed system-wide, and I put it in /opt/gnome/#.##.
    >> Only user X startup scripts need to be changed, mostly to include paths
    >> to the Garnome installation.
    >>
    >> If you like to protect your system and keep it Slackware, then consider
    >> this option.
    >>
    >> http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/
    >>
    >>

    > Hi!
    > You seem to know a bit about garnome. I don't so I have a question.
    > Can't get it to work always some 'libs' missing and so. Now I got this
    > problem with :
    > checking for XOpenDisplay... no
    > Then configure error libX11 not found. What am I missing??
    >
    > Cheers
    > //Mussemo
    > use


    Well, in general (you did not give me the specifics of your system or the
    version of garnome, or the application being compiled), this means that
    configure for the application/library in question could not find X. This
    is quite serious!!!

    Either X is installed in a non-standard location (Slack 12 puts it in /
    usr, so that's standard) or X is not installed or incompletely installed.

    If you still have problems, write back with more details, or troll on
    over to the garnome mailing list accessible via gmane.


    --
    Peter

  8. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:40:35 +0000, James H. Newman wrote:

    >> Garnome is very easy to customize, and works fine with Slackware. JM2C.


    > Thanks for the info. I am certainly going to have a go at Garnome
    > under Slackware 12. Quite frankly, I have lost my patience with Dropline
    > et al. They are always late, both in Gnome and Slackware terms; they tend
    > to mess with Slackware, destabilizing it; and they ALWAYS seem to install
    > apps that do not work correctly.


    I agree, and am planning on giving Garnome a look this time too, as there
    is nothing else available. On a related note, I had a personal email
    exchange in the last few days with Freerock of FRG, and he said he's
    planning to revitalize (new release) of FRG "very soon now". I'll give
    that a look when/if it comes out, but will try Garnome in the meanwhile.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  9. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    Peter wrote:

    > On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:40:50 +0000, Mussemouse wrote:
    >
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>
    >> SNIP
    >>SNIP some more
    >> problem with :
    >> checking for XOpenDisplay... no
    >> Then configure error libX11 not found. What am I missing??
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> //Mussemo
    >> use

    >
    > Well, in general (you did not give me the specifics of your system or the
    > version of garnome, or the application being compiled), this means that
    > configure for the application/library in question could not find X. This
    > is quite serious!!!
    >
    > Either X is installed in a non-standard location (Slack 12 puts it in /
    > usr, so that's standard) or X is not installed or incompletely installed.
    >
    > If you still have problems, write back with more details, or troll on
    > over to the garnome mailing list accessible via gmane.
    >
    >

    Sorry forgot those details. To much thinking is not good for the memory.

    I just upgraded to Slack 12 (well wasn't much to upgrade since this test
    system was running Slack-current), and just downloaded the newest garnome.
    Ver 2.18.2
    The packages that are supposed to be built is gtk+-2.10.12. And it is a
    packages I believe is a must have

    I just wanted to try out Gnome again. And when I saw this thread I got
    curious and thought that it would be nice to try. Nothing wrong with KDE or
    XFCE but another choice is always fun.

    Well KDE works and xorg is fully installed the only 'extra' thing I've done
    that differs from 'normal full installation' is that I installed the ATI
    packages for xorg that was in /extras since I had a slight problem with
    starting KDE.

    Cheers
    //Mussemouse


  10. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:26:14 +0000, Mussemouse wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:40:50 +0000, Mussemouse wrote:
    >>
    >>> Peter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> SNIP
    >>>SNIP some more
    >>> problem with :
    >>> checking for XOpenDisplay... no
    >>> Then configure error libX11 not found. What am I missing??
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> //Mussemo
    >>> use

    >>
    >> Well, in general (you did not give me the specifics of your system or
    >> the version of garnome, or the application being compiled), this means
    >> that configure for the application/library in question could not find
    >> X. This is quite serious!!!
    >>
    >> Either X is installed in a non-standard location (Slack 12 puts it in /
    >> usr, so that's standard) or X is not installed or incompletely
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> If you still have problems, write back with more details, or troll on
    >> over to the garnome mailing list accessible via gmane.
    >>
    >>

    > Sorry forgot those details. To much thinking is not good for the memory.
    >
    > I just upgraded to Slack 12 (well wasn't much to upgrade since this test
    > system was running Slack-current), and just downloaded the newest
    > garnome. Ver 2.18.2
    > The packages that are supposed to be built is gtk+-2.10.12. And it is a
    > packages I believe is a must have
    >


    This really should be on the garnome ml, but I will say this. Check to
    see which application gave the error. If it was gtk+, make sure another
    dependency was not being compiled within it. Also, SOME poorly written
    configure scripts have /usr/X11R6 hard coded or in .la files, and this
    will cause other program's configures to bomb. When I upgraded from X11
    6.9 to 7.1, I spent the better part of a day adjusting .la files for the
    new location.

    > I just wanted to try out Gnome again. And when I saw this thread I got
    > curious and thought that it would be nice to try. Nothing wrong with KDE
    > or XFCE but another choice is always fun.
    >
    > Well KDE works and xorg is fully installed the only 'extra' thing I've
    > done that differs from 'normal full installation' is that I installed
    > the ATI packages for xorg that was in /extras since I had a slight
    > problem with starting KDE.
    >
    > Cheers
    > //Mussemouse


    Bring your issue to the garnome ml, and I or others there will surely
    help. Some garnome Makefiles may require some tweaking.


    --
    Peter

  11. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    Peter wrote:

    > On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:26:14 +0000, Mussemouse wrote:
    >
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:40:50 +0000, Mussemouse wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Peter wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> SNIP
    >>>>SNIP some more
    >>>> problem with :
    >>>> checking for XOpenDisplay... no
    >>>> Then configure error libX11 not found. What am I missing??
    >>>>
    >>>> Cheers
    >>>> //Mussemo
    >>>> use
    >>>
    >>> Well, in general (you did not give me the specifics of your system or
    >>> the version of garnome, or the application being compiled), this means
    >>> that configure for the application/library in question could not find
    >>> X. This is quite serious!!!
    >>>
    >>> Either X is installed in a non-standard location (Slack 12 puts it in /
    >>> usr, so that's standard) or X is not installed or incompletely
    >>> installed.
    >>>
    >>> If you still have problems, write back with more details, or troll on
    >>> over to the garnome mailing list accessible via gmane.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Sorry forgot those details. To much thinking is not good for the memory.
    >>
    >> I just upgraded to Slack 12 (well wasn't much to upgrade since this test
    >> system was running Slack-current), and just downloaded the newest
    >> garnome. Ver 2.18.2
    >> The packages that are supposed to be built is gtk+-2.10.12. And it is a
    >> packages I believe is a must have
    >>

    >
    > This really should be on the garnome ml, but I will say this. Check to
    > see which application gave the error. If it was gtk+, make sure another
    > dependency was not being compiled within it. Also, SOME poorly written
    > configure scripts have /usr/X11R6 hard coded or in .la files, and this
    > will cause other program's configures to bomb. When I upgraded from X11
    > 6.9 to 7.1, I spent the better part of a day adjusting .la files for the
    > new location.
    >
    >> I just wanted to try out Gnome again. And when I saw this thread I got
    >> curious and thought that it would be nice to try. Nothing wrong with KDE
    >> or XFCE but another choice is always fun.
    >>
    >> Well KDE works and xorg is fully installed the only 'extra' thing I've
    >> done that differs from 'normal full installation' is that I installed
    >> the ATI packages for xorg that was in /extras since I had a slight
    >> problem with starting KDE.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> //Mussemouse

    >
    > Bring your issue to the garnome ml, and I or others there will surely
    > help. Some garnome Makefiles may require some tweaking.
    >
    >


    Ok!
    Of to the garnome ml then !

    Thanks for the help!

    //Mussemouse

  12. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    Peter wrote:


    > If you like to protect your system and keep it Slackware, then consider
    > this option.
    >
    > http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/
    >


    It fell over when compiling HAL on my Slack 11.0 system. Anyone else had
    this on Slack I wonder. Just trying to narrow down whether it is an
    idiosycracy with my system.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  13. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:32:56 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >
    >> If you like to protect your system and keep it Slackware, then consider
    >> this option.
    >>
    >> http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/
    >>
    >>

    > It fell over when compiling HAL on my Slack 11.0 system. Anyone else
    > had this on Slack I wonder. Just trying to narrow down whether it is an
    > idiosycracy with my system.
    >
    > Pete


    Like Mussemouse, you give no specifics (i.e. Garnome version, configure
    output or make output, etc). There are several system-level dependencies
    which Garnome requires that are listed in the DEPS-LIST file. While I
    have not checked it against S-12, I recall I had to add several libraries
    to Slackware for Garnome to compile. Please bring your Garnome issues to
    the Garnome ml.

    --
    Peter

  14. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    Le Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:40:50 +0000, Mussemouse a écrit:

    > Peter wrote:
    >
    > SNIP
    >> Garnome can be installed system-wide, and I put it in /opt/gnome/#.##.
    >> Only user X startup scripts need to be changed, mostly to include paths
    >> to the Garnome installation.
    >>
    >> If you like to protect your system and keep it Slackware, then consider
    >> this option.
    >>
    >> http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/
    >>
    >>

    > Hi!
    > You seem to know a bit about garnome. I don't so I have a question.
    > Can't get it to work always some 'libs' missing and so. Now I got this
    > problem with :
    > checking for XOpenDisplay... no
    > Then configure error libX11 not found. What am I missing??
    >
    > Cheers
    > //Mussemo
    > use

    libX11 is provide by libX11-1.1.1-i486-4.tgz

  15. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    guy wrote:

    > Le Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:40:50 +0000, Mussemouse a écrit:
    >
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>
    >> SNIP
    >>> Garnome can be installed system-wide, and I put it in /opt/gnome/#.##.
    >>> Only user X startup scripts need to be changed, mostly to include paths
    >>> to the Garnome installation.
    >>>
    >>> If you like to protect your system and keep it Slackware, then consider
    >>> this option.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Hi!
    >> You seem to know a bit about garnome. I don't so I have a question.
    >> Can't get it to work always some 'libs' missing and so. Now I got this
    >> problem with :
    >> checking for XOpenDisplay... no
    >> Then configure error libX11 not found. What am I missing??
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> //Mussemo
    >> use

    > libX11 is provide by libX11-1.1.1-i486-4.tgz


    It is, and it is installed. But garnome doesn't find it.
    Error in the search script perhaps?
    I use KDE instead. Or XFCE4 but it would have been fun with Gnome. Perhaps
    later when I have more time to spend on it.

    Thanks anyway!

    //Mussemouse


  16. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:31:32 +0000, Peter wrote:

    > Like Mussemouse, you give no specifics (i.e. Garnome version, configure
    > output or make output, etc). There are several system-level dependencies
    > which Garnome requires that are listed in the DEPS-LIST file. While I
    > have not checked it against S-12, I recall I had to add several libraries
    > to Slackware for Garnome to compile. Please bring your Garnome issues to
    > the Garnome ml.


    I've been unable to build Garnome (2.18.3) on Slack 12.0. It runs for a
    while and then fails with an "Error 2" with no other particularly helpful
    messages.

    Would you mind posting here what additional libraries need to be added to
    get things to work?

    I may look into the mailing list, but it would sure be nice if it was a
    little easier to get things to work.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  17. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:27:55 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:31:32 +0000, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Like Mussemouse, you give no specifics (i.e. Garnome version, configure
    >> output or make output, etc). There are several system-level
    >> dependencies which Garnome requires that are listed in the DEPS-LIST
    >> file. While I have not checked it against S-12, I recall I had to add
    >> several libraries to Slackware for Garnome to compile. Please bring
    >> your Garnome issues to the Garnome ml.

    >
    > I've been unable to build Garnome (2.18.3) on Slack 12.0. It runs for a
    > while and then fails with an "Error 2" with no other particularly
    > helpful messages.


    I have just undertaken this myself, and the only thing I had to
    install was the XML::Simple Perl package. Building Garnome 2.18.3 has
    otherwise proceeded uneventfully. Mind you, I haven't run it yet. I am
    just saying that it did compile fine.

    By the way, my Slackware 12 installation was a full one.



  18. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:55:34 +0000, James H. Newman wrote:

    >> I've been unable to build Garnome (2.18.3) on Slack 12.0. It runs for a
    >> while and then fails with an "Error 2" with no other particularly
    >> helpful messages.


    > I have just undertaken this myself, and the only thing I had to
    > install was the XML::Simple Perl package. Building Garnome 2.18.3 has
    > otherwise proceeded uneventfully. Mind you, I haven't run it yet. I am
    > just saying that it did compile fine.


    Could you post the actual package name, and where you got it? Thanks.

    > By the way, my Slackware 12 installation was a full one.


    Same here.

    I'm gonna have a look at the Garnome mailing list, and might give things
    another try if I can find the motivation. Otherwise, I may just switch
    over to XFCE...


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  19. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:33:38 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:55:34 +0000, James H. Newman wrote:
    >
    >>> I've been unable to build Garnome (2.18.3) on Slack 12.0. It runs for
    >>> a while and then fails with an "Error 2" with no other particularly
    >>> helpful messages.

    >
    >> I have just undertaken this myself, and the only thing I had to
    >> install was the XML::Simple Perl package. Building Garnome 2.18.3 has
    >> otherwise proceeded uneventfully. Mind you, I haven't run it yet. I am
    >> just saying that it did compile fine.

    >
    > Could you post the actual package name, and where you got it? Thanks.


    You have to get it from the Perl MCPAN repository. Here is what I
    did:

    Logged in as root, at the command line prompt type

    perl -MCPAN -e shell

    If this the first time you do it, you'll have to answer a lot of inane
    questions. The default answers seem to have worked for me. Anyway, once
    perl is happy you will be left at a perl-controlled command line, with a
    cpan> prompt. Type

    install XML::Simple

    and let perl download all the crap it requires. Once this is done,
    launching the garnome build process should succeed. Well, it did for me.



  20. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On 2007-07-05, James H. Newman wrote:
    >
    > Logged in as root, at the command line prompt type
    >
    > perl -MCPAN -e shell


    For most recent Perl installs, just typing

    cpan

    will do the same as perl -MCPAN -e shell.

    --keith


    --
    kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)
    AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
    see X- headers for PGP signature information


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast