Gnome in Slackware 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Gnome in Slackware 12 - Slackware ; On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:01:50 +0000, James H. Newman wrote: >> Could you post the actual package name, and where you got it? Thanks. > You have to get it from the Perl MCPAN repository. Here is what I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:01:50 +0000, James H. Newman wrote:

    >> Could you post the actual package name, and where you got it? Thanks.

    > You have to get it from the Perl MCPAN repository. Here is what I did:

    Excellent! I won't ask how you knew to do that.... . Printed and
    saved, and I'll give it a go when I have the time. Thanks very much.

  2. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    Peter wrote:

    > Like Mussemouse, you give no specifics (i.e. Garnome version, configure
    > output or make output, etc). There are several system-level dependencies
    > which Garnome requires that are listed in the DEPS-LIST file. While I
    > have not checked it against S-12, I recall I had to add several libraries
    > to Slackware for Garnome to compile. Please bring your Garnome issues to
    > the Garnome ml.

    Well, I see your point but I was not asking for help in fixing it, just
    asking whether on other's systems it built OK. Thanks for the pointer to
    the garnome mailing list. I will have another go after I have moved to
    Slack 12.0.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  3. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:55:34 +0000, James H. Newman wrote:

    >> I've been unable to build Garnome (2.18.3) on Slack 12.0. It runs for a
    >> while and then fails with an "Error 2" with no other particularly
    >> helpful messages.

    > I have just undertaken this myself, and the only thing I had to
    > install was the XML::Simple Perl package. Building Garnome 2.18.3 has
    > otherwise proceeded uneventfully. Mind you, I haven't run it yet. I am
    > just saying that it did compile fine.

    OK, an update... I did that CPAN magic you suggested, and got Garnome to
    compile completely. One other thing I did differently this time was let
    it build in ~/garnome instead of in /opt/garnome where I tried it the
    first time. Might have been a permissions problem before, I dunno.
    Anyway, got it built and got it started (via the example script in
    the README which I made into a new .xinitrc). It looks OK, and am now
    building the other directorys (fifth-toe, etc..) to get some applications
    available. Pretty pleased with the outcome. It took about 3 hours to
    build on a Core 2 Duo E6600 with 2Gb RAM...

    On a related note, I'm actually thinking about dumping Gnome altogether
    and going with this new XFCE 4.4.1 which is included with Slack 12. It's
    very Gnomish, very fast, looks great, and works well. It might be time
    for a change of pace.

    Thanks again for the pointers.

  4. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 23:39:21 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    snip.....

    > On a related note, I'm actually thinking about dumping Gnome altogether
    > and going with this new XFCE 4.4.1 which is included with Slack 12.
    > It's very Gnomish, very fast, looks great, and works well. It might be
    > time for a change of pace.
    >
    > Thanks again for the pointers.

    Great. I am glad you got it going. It IS a lot of effort, but worth it.

    Your 'related' note is really right on point. Gnome is a pig IMO and the
    only reason I have it is because of Evolution. I've used it for so long
    that I am dependent on it! However, it used to be just a gtk application.
    Now, it is insidiously integrated into Gnome which I think just stinks.

    One of the greatest benefits of Garnome is that you _CAN_ simply compile
    the programs you want. So, if I don't want the whole desktop, but want
    evolution, simply traverse to its directory, desktop/evolution, and type
    make install.

    You mentioned problems installing to /opt/garnome. I believe you DID have
    a permissions problem. Garnome wants you to compile as a user with sudo
    permissions, NOT as root. So, your install target has to be set to allow
    writing by the garnome builder.

    sudo chown danc:users /opt/garnome

    should do it before trying to build anything.

    Me, I actually created a user called 'builder' which does nothing but
    compile and install.

    Back to Evolution. I did try claws-mail, but it does not create html mail
    which I do have to send out occasionally, and it does not have the
    integration of calendar, addressbook (I mean complete addressbook), etc.
    The only program I think comes close would be kmail. However, from a
    philosophical pov, I resist using tightly integrated programs that are
    married to a desktop. It runs counter to what 'nix programs should be --
    Small, well-written programs that do one or a few things well. kmail is
    good, but then I've got kde bloat instead of gnome bloat.

    I don't use either. I run Enlightenment with ROX as my desktop, file, and
    panel manager. I use various kde or gnome applications as needed, but am
    free from having to use either desktop.

    Good luck with Garnome. Even if you dump gnome, you have to give Joe and
    Guenther credit for creating a very usable method of having gnome.

    --
    Peter

  5. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 10:59:47 +0000, Peter wrote:

    > Your 'related' note is really right on point. Gnome is a pig IMO and the
    > only reason I have it is because of Evolution. I've used it for so long
    > that I am dependent on it! However, it used to be just a gtk application.
    > Now, it is insidiously integrated into Gnome which I think just stinks.

    Yes, I used to use Evolution for email, but had no need for the calendar
    and other functions. Eventually I switched to Thunderbird and have really
    come to like it (for email).

    > One of the greatest benefits of Garnome is that you _CAN_ simply compile
    > the programs you want. So, if I don't want the whole desktop, but want
    > evolution, simply traverse to its directory, desktop/evolution, and type
    > make install.

    Ahhhh. This is important. So you're saying that if I want only a certain
    application (such as gthumb, which I really like), I can go to it's
    directory and compile it, *without* having to do the main "desktop"
    directory first? If I just compile gthumb, it (Garnome) will pull in any
    other deps/libs that it might need for gthumb? I hope this is the case,
    as it would be the perfect solution...

    > You mentioned problems installing to /opt/garnome. I believe you DID
    > have a permissions problem. Garnome wants you to compile as a user with
    > sudo permissions, NOT as root. So, your install target has to be set to
    > allow writing by the garnome builder.
    >
    > sudo chown danc:users /opt/garnome

    Yup, that must have been it. I did do the build as a user named "build",
    but did not chown the directory as you indicate above. I will do
    that on my next attempt (eagerly awaiting your answer regarding "gthumb"
    above...).

    > I don't use either. I run Enlightenment with ROX as my desktop, file,
    > and panel manager. I use various kde or gnome applications as needed,
    > but am free from having to use either desktop.

    This is what I'd like to do with XFCE. I'd like a lightweight desktop,
    but I do like a few K/G apps, such as K3b and gthumb. Things are looking
    promising.

    > Good luck with Garnome. Even if you dump gnome, you have to give Joe and
    > Guenther credit for creating a very usable method of having gnome.

    Thanks. Yes, it's quite a nice method and works well, once you do a
    little RTFM'ing...

    Thanks for the comments and looking forward to your answer regarding
    gthumb (and other single small applications).

  6. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 10:30:56 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    snip...

    >> One of the greatest benefits of Garnome is that you _CAN_ simply
    >> compile the programs you want. So, if I don't want the whole desktop,
    >> but want evolution, simply traverse to its directory,
    >> desktop/evolution, and type make install.

    > Ahhhh. This is important. So you're saying that if I want only a
    > certain application (such as gthumb, which I really like), I can go to
    > it's directory and compile it, *without* having to do the main "desktop"
    > directory first? If I just compile gthumb, it (Garnome) will pull in
    > any other deps/libs that it might need for gthumb? I hope this is the
    > case, as it would be the perfect solution...

    Yes, that is correct. If you just what gthumb, traverse to its directory
    and do a make install (as the build user). If you take a look at the
    Makefile, you will see that all first-level dependencies are listed. Sub-
    dependencies, if any, are pulled in as each first-level one are compiled.

    You MAY get many of the gnome platform libraries, some bindings, icons,
    and panel apps too (they may be listed as deps), but you do not have to
    use them. You _WILL_ need to adjust your path, library search path, etc.,
    as indicated in the README.

    >> You mentioned problems installing to /opt/garnome. I believe you DID
    >> have a permissions problem. Garnome wants you to compile as a user with
    >> sudo permissions, NOT as root. So, your install target has to be set to
    >> allow writing by the garnome builder.

    Let me clarify. You do not need sudo permissions. You DO need to change
    ownership of the target to the build user (which for me means sudo, but I
    suppose you could do it as root too). Garnome does nothing as root or
    sudo root.

    >> sudo chown danc:users /opt/garnome

    > Yup, that must have been it. I did do the build as a user named
    > "build", but did not chown the directory as you indicate above.
    > I will do that on my next attempt (eagerly awaiting your answer
    > regarding "gthumb" above...).

    That was the problem...

    > This is what I'd like to do with XFCE. I'd like a lightweight desktop,
    > but I do like a few K/G apps, such as K3b and gthumb. Things are
    > looking promising.

    Then, this project is precisely what you want. Cherry pick applications
    you need. Konstruct, KDE's home-made build system works in a similar way,
    BUT KDE is so much easier to compile than Gnome, it just makes sense to
    do the entire modules (graphics, games, multimedia, etc) rather than
    cherry pick, although theoretically, it's doable.

    > Thanks for the comments and looking forward to your answer regarding
    > gthumb (and other single small applications).

    I think you'll find it a big timesaver one you get the hang of it!

    (One final thing. I have been working with the garnome developers on a
    system to prevent garnome from installing system-level libraries that are
    already on the target system. As an example, expat, glib, gtk+, wnck,
    docbook, sgml, etc. exist on most systems. If the versions are current,
    there is no need for garnome to compile and install duplicates (gtk+ may
    be an exception). While this is dicey and could break garnome completely,
    I have had terrific success installing single apps that don't need the
    entire gnome suite and it cuts down compile time significantly. It
    leverages what you already have on your system versus what garnome
    requires. I don't know if this will be available when gnome 2.20 is
    released, but if you're interested, I'd be happy to share what I did with
    you.)

    Good luck.
    --
    Peter
    GPG:0x467FBF7D

  7. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:35:35 +0000, Peter wrote:

    >> Ahhhh. This is important. So you're saying that if I want only a
    >> certain application (such as gthumb, which I really like), I can go to
    >> it's directory and compile it, *without* having to do the main "desktop"
    >> directory first? If I just compile gthumb, it (Garnome) will pull in
    >> any other deps/libs that it might need for gthumb? I hope this is the
    >> case, as it would be the perfect solution...

    > Yes, that is correct. If you just what gthumb, traverse to its directory
    > and do a make install (as the build user). If you take a look at the
    > Makefile, you will see that all first-level dependencies are listed. Sub-
    > dependencies, if any, are pulled in as each first-level one are compiled.

    Yes indeed. Since my last post I did pull in the gthumb application, and
    it certainly did take a while as the deps were built. Very slick.

    > You MAY get many of the gnome platform libraries, some bindings, icons,
    > and panel apps too (they may be listed as deps), but you do not have to
    > use them. You _WILL_ need to adjust your path, library search path, etc.,
    > as indicated in the README.

    Yes, I added "export PATH=$PATH:/opt/garnome/bin" to my .bash_profile and
    it's working as expected.

    >> This is what I'd like to do with XFCE. I'd like a lightweight desktop,
    >> but I do like a few K/G apps, such as K3b and gthumb. Things are
    >> looking promising.

    > Then, this project is precisely what you want. Cherry pick applications
    > you need. Konstruct, KDE's home-made build system works in a similar way,
    > BUT KDE is so much easier to compile than Gnome, it just makes sense to
    > do the entire modules (graphics, games, multimedia, etc) rather than
    > cherry pick, although theoretically, it's doable.

    Excellent. I may look into that as well.

    >> Thanks for the comments and looking forward to your answer regarding
    >> gthumb (and other single small applications).

    > I think you'll find it a big timesaver one you get the hang of it!

    Yes, this is a great situation. Wish I'd done it sooner...

    > (One final thing. I have been working with the garnome developers on a
    > system to prevent garnome from installing system-level libraries that are
    > already on the target system. As an example, expat, glib, gtk+, wnck,
    > docbook, sgml, etc. exist on most systems. If the versions are current,
    > there is no need for garnome to compile and install duplicates (gtk+ may
    > be an exception). While this is dicey and could break garnome completely,
    > I have had terrific success installing single apps that don't need the
    > entire gnome suite and it cuts down compile time significantly. It
    > leverages what you already have on your system versus what garnome
    > requires. I don't know if this will be available when gnome 2.20 is
    > released, but if you're interested, I'd be happy to share what I did with
    > you.)

    Very cool.

    > Good luck.

    Thanks very much for the pointers. I'm very happy to get this going. One
    thing I do notice with XFCE is that some things look different (worse)
    than I'm used to with Gnome. Obviously a font issue, and I'll be working
    on figuring that out. I appreciate your time and help.

  8. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >

    >> Like Mussemouse, you give no specifics (i.e. Garnome version,
    >> configure output or make output, etc). There are several
    >> system-level dependencies which Garnome requires that are listed in
    >> the DEPS-LIST file. While I have not checked it against S-12, I
    >> recall I had to add several libraries to Slackware for Garnome to
    >> compile. Please bring your Garnome issues to the Garnome ml.
    >>

    > Well, I see your point but I was not asking for help in fixing it,
    > just
    > asking whether on other's systems it built OK. Thanks for the
    > pointer to
    > the garnome mailing list. I will have another go after I have moved
    > to Slack 12.0.
    >
    > Pete

    For me some sort Gnomish add-on is not a nicety but a necessity.
    Inkscape, the superior svg creation tool, requires certain
    Gnome libraries. I used dropline for my X11 install of Inkscape
    without incident. But adding libraries one at a time to get Garnome
    working so that I can avoid adding libraries one at a time for my
    Inkscape compile seems to be nonproductive. Has anyone actually tried
    Dropline with Slack 12? What were the results?

    --
    John Culleton
    Able Indexers and Typesetters

  9. Re: Gnome in Slackware 12

    Dan C could you please help me?
    I'm using Slackware 12.0 and Garnome 2.20.3.
    I've just installed garnome with the purpose to use precisely only Evolution.
    The thing is that it seems that I'm not able to run it properly even if I include the paths from the garnome README file in the user profile.
    I have garnome installed in "/home/florin/garnome".
    If I try to run /home/florin/garnome/bin/evolution it complains about the display: "cannot open display:" which seems normal because the KDE is started by root.
    If I try to execute /home/florin/garnome/bin/evolution as root, after I export the garmone variables for root, I can configure evolution but after that a window empty appears, without any icon or option I can use.
    How do you run only Evolution. What are the environmental variables and commands you use? Do I need to compile anything else except evolution (and evolution-exchange)? Anyway, a lot of things (prerequisites) were compiled, as the garnome source directory reached around 2.5 GB.

    Florin M

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2